Sign in to follow this  
Flybynumbers

IFR in VR is awesome!

39 minutes ago, Flybynumbers said:

Ya also, I checked the demo again and it doesn't look like you can twist knobs like with the touch controllers...instead a slide bar pops up. 

Yea no twist motion unfortunately I find myself most comfortable just pointing my hmd cursor at a control and using it on a dial/button/switch. Its much quicker for me as for kneeboard I simply import a desktop app window into my virtual cockpit and I use one of these for the majority of my typing and other controls. 
(2019 Upgrade) Rii i4 Mini... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T13GLY3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

My sincere apologies to Flybynumbers. I have edited my post accordingly. :sad:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:46 AM, Ron Attwood said:

Fly, I completely understand your enthusiasm, I'm a 'can't go back' VRer to. You wont convince anyone who won't be convinced. Let them find out for themselves as you did.

In the meantime, just feel smug that you have seen the light! They'll come round eventually 👍

With us that have spent thousands on homemade cockpits, VR headset dont work. Now if I just had a computer and a controller then yes VR must be great. There is no light to be seen on my end. Now I need to convince you on how good the Buttkicker is in Flightsim but you wont see the light till you try it.  I cant fly without it.

Edited by FreeBird(Josh)

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

As I've said to you many times, a Buttkicker sounds great. I wouldn't have one because of the disturbance it would cause not only in the house but in my marriage. Lucky ol' you that don't have to consider such things.

1 hour ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

With us that have spent thousands on homemade cockpits, VR headset dont work.

why not? look, i use my Headset for online racing too not only for flight sims, i dont need to wear it the whole time

we speak on TS, while in the box everyone setup their car, all done looking at the standard 2d monitor in front of you.

1 min before the race i put on my VR Headset and i am ready for the race. If i would have a homemade cockpit with

all the buttons i would use it, but at some point during the flight i would use my Headset to feel absolutely immersed

while flying, be it just looking out of the windows at FL120.

Edited by Nedo68

3 hours ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

With us that have spent thousands on homemade cockpits, VR headset dont work. Now if I just had a computer and a controller then yes VR must be great. There is no light to be seen on my end. Now I need to convince you on how good the Buttkicker is in Flightsim but you wont see the light till you try it.  I cant fly without it.

Buttkicker for what?

Just takeoff landing and turbulence simulation?

Id rather have FFB controls and a motion rig at this point.

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

I use what I want and you use what you want. My setup works fine for me I have no need for VR. The immersion in my set up is fantastic. If I was starting over VR might be right  but I have to much invested and I usually enjoy what I have till I have to make the change. It took me five years to get a smart phone. 

Edited by FreeBird(Josh)

3 hours ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

I use what I want and you use what you want. My setup works fine for me I have no need for VR. The immersion in my set up is fantastic. If I was starting over VR might be right  but I have to much invested and I usually enjoy what I have till I have to make the change. It took me five years to get a smart phone. 

Im not asking you for an argument about what you want and your feelings on not needing VR.

I’m simply curious about your butt kicker setup???

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

54 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Im not asking you for an argument about what you want and your feelings on not needing VR.

I’m simply curious about your butt kicker setup???

Hi well I got two one for the chair and the other for the flight controls,yoke,pedals,quadrant and flight console. I use two sound cards, I use Opus FSI software to control it all. You can add up to three buttkickers all controlled individually with many different effects.  So i get the engine vibrations, wind with bumps and buffeting along with other forces , gear, flaps spoilers, reverse thrust plus the feeling of the runway surfaces. That with head movement software makes it quite nice. I would love to ad motion but that is big bucks. It took me a week to get it all dialed in but since then its been wonderful. Some planes work good but others fall short. All my A2A and Flight one planes work great. I think it would be a great addition to a VR headset setup. Josh

Edited by FreeBird(Josh)

For me at least, VR is about the only reason I find myself caring about Instrument Flying Rules and training. I have never had issues flying on instruments in a flight sim, and never really saw why flying alone in poor visibility was such a huge issue, so long as everyone followed their big book of rules and what not. 

Then I was googling around in Warthunder of all things and set up a test flight in a 110, and on a whim, set it at night in bad weather. The minute I un-paused it, I was so deep into spacial disorientation that it took me a moment to realize those pointy things ahead were trees, and they were pointing at me... 

I'll concede, there are some issues with VR, there aren't good ways to see outside the set, I can see how the knee board issue is an issue for procedural practice, field of view isn't entirely there yet, Pixel Per Degree is low, standardization of interfaces are not, and other issues, but there are certain things that it brings to the table that you cannot get with a 2D system. And the things that its lacking on, will be worked out as the platform matures. 

Me, at this point, I'm all in, but there are still some growing pains to get through before we're fully there. 

• Upvote 1

Well said Harry. 2 years and several hundred thousand bucks later will just about do it.

Probably a bit longer than that. I'm thinking we need about twice the pixel/textel fill rate that the 1080 Ti had, so I'm expecting at least two more generations of 3D card to be able to support it as good frame rates. Further, we need to get to common interface standards. I mean, running through WMR and Steam VR at the same time is a silly amount of overhead.

I'm thinking we also need some form of visual pass through so we can quickly look at the outside world. I'm expecting that to show up once VR gets more mainstream. 

We'll also need solid broadly supported hand tracking of some sort before we're using virtual grease pencils to jot nine-lines on the canopy. 

3 hours ago, HarryVoyager said:

I'm thinking we also need some form of visual pass through so we can quickly look at the outside world. I'm expecting that to show up once VR gets more mainstream. 

This actually exits in a primitive form on the Oculus platform. 

Edited by andreh

Maybe my head is smaller than the rest of you but I have no problem using my real life knee board and my iPad with Fore Flight along with the Rift S. The old Rift had a decent gap at the bottom that I could glance down and see my iPad with all my charts and moving map and also write down clearances from Pilot Edge easily. The new Rift S has a little less of a gap but it is still enough for me to glance down and see what I am doing and to read my notepad.

I find the sim to be good practice for my real world IFR flying and I really enjoy the immersion that VR brings.

ryebred2,

I have the Rift S, and I removed the rubber nose insert so it is now possible to look down the nose.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB