Sign in to follow this  
GlideBy

3rd Party Devs that haven't been in contact

5 hours ago, FDEdev said:

That's exactly why they IMO want 3rd party developers. The Asobo/MS teams wants to create the most efficient and powerful tools, so that 3rd party devs can design aircraft, scenery etc. with the tools they provide.

That'd be the way to go. Would not be surprised if it actually was the reason. MSFS is in the right hands at ASOBO.

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

Well... I'm a programmer but I didn't create the C++ compiler and Integrated Development Environment that I use to create programs.  I didn't create Notepad++ but I use it as an editor.  The last editor I wrote was for the Pick operating system and I no longer use Pick.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I'm not trying to insult anyone, quite the opposite.  I can't write code, but I'm able to use the tools others have created, so I just don't want to convey the impression that I consider myself to be at that same level.  You, being a programmer, have more knowledge than I do!

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

1 hour ago, skully said:

I remember trying to learn Basic on my Commodore Vic 20  🧐

I wrote my first (DC-9) flightsim in Basic on the Vic 20 a 'few' years ago.🙂

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

Now THAT is impressive!

Nothing but respect for software engineers.

I know a recently retired Southwest Airlines Captain who also flew C-141's in the Air National Guard and he was also was software engineer.

One of the most brilliant men I've ever known. Does algorithms in his sleep most likely...

2 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Too cool! 😄  That is indeed impressive.

"to me a developer is someone who is writing the code to create these products"

As far as I'm concerned, the main requirement to be a developer is to develop something.  It's all about starting a project and seeing it through.  Bonus points if other people use what they've developed. 🙂 

The guy who does repaints is no less a developer than the team that created the aircraft he repainted.  The difference is only in scale.  The people who make scenery are developers, even if it's only a Doom level.  The people who make scenarios and missions and such are developers.

I can write code.  I can almost do graphics.  I can't do 3D work.  I have a lot of respect for the 3D modelers and good graphics artists.  I also have a lot of respect for tech writers who can do good manuals;  you'd understand if you ever read any of mine. 🙂  I'd call them authors rather than developers though, but no less respect because of that.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

3 hours ago, LHookins said:

The guy who does repaints is no less a developer than the team that created the aircraft he repainted.  The difference is only in scale.  The people who make scenery are developers, even if it's only a Doom level.  The people who make scenarios and missions and such are developers.

So question about making possible missions in the new sim, for you programming type people. The little bit that I did with the FSW Pro Tool, FSX, and X-Plane, if I am correct they are all based on XML, will this be true in the new sim? Reason I ask  will it maybe be possible to take an old mission written in XML, and use the new calls ( I am not a programmer, just enjoy learning XML and using the tools provided to make missions for the sims ) etc... and maybe use a portion of said existing mission for making a new mission in MSFS?

Just wondering that's all! Even if we get a GUI type mission tool, we might still have to look at the XML code right? And I don't expect to get access to the SDK till official launch of the sim, and that is fine with me! Should be really fun ( I hope ) learning all this stuff in the new sim!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

2 hours ago, in2tech said:

So question about making possible missions in the new sim, for you programming type people. The little bit that I did with the FSW Pro Tool, FSX, and X-Plane, if I am correct they are all based on XML, will this be true in the new sim?

I couldn't even begin to guess.  But it does highlight the fact that there are "developers" out there who need access to an SDK beyond the big names like Aerosoft, Carenado, Milviz, PMDG, A2A and all the others that I missed.

I'm a fan of XML myself.

Hook

Larry Hookins

14 hours ago, TwistedApe2554 said:

Same. Email sent few weeks ago and they never replied...

Me too, it is so sad.

I think you will find they reached out to the know main third party developers that they already have in FSX, as for freeware Devs they will get the SDK the same time as everyone else when released, then we can get back to normal on Avsim ["I have just loaded XYZ in MSFS and before it completed it CTD anyone else finding this and what do I do now"] and normality returns to the world 😎

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Aha welcome to my world. I can still remember much of the 6502 instruction set, such as:

A9 A2 EA 20 4C (LDA LDX NOP JMP JSR) or something like that. Must have turned into a geek without realising. Seem to remember spending half a lifetime in assembler but that was a looooong time ago and most of what I remember is probably wrong.

3 hours ago, b737800 said:

I can still remember much of the 6502 instruction set

Loved the 6502, learned assembly on it originally with the Apple II rom monitor, then wrote a *bunch* of 6502 assembly. But I don't remember the hex opcodes.  Does the 6502 qualify as a RISC? 😄

Most fun was the Z-80.  Best instruction set was a processor based on the 68000.  Intel gave me hives with the segmented memory architecture (probably why IBM chose it, mainframes used the same architecture) and I avoided it as much as possible.  I was working in C before that architecture went away.

Can we expect the SDK to be openly published before the release of MSFS?  Even if it's a preliminary version it should be useful.  I don't expect to be doing any work on the sim before I actually get my hands on it but I'd like to peruse the documentation.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

47 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Does the 6502 qualify as a RISC? 😄

Risky maybe

47 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Most fun was the Z-80.

That's a swear word. In my spacetime you were either 6502 or Z80 in the home PC world. The rivalry and utter nonsense used to justify your fandom was at least as ridiculous as the "my sim is better than yours" of today. Z80 was definitely the more capable processor, but you'd never have had me saying that before at least 1990, when it didn't matter any more.

I love the fact that I had to learn assembly (and use assembler). It forced you to think the way a processor does and really taught you how to overcome problems using first principles. Many modern programmers I come across (not all by a long shot) might know their IDE (VS, Eclipse, Android Studio [err so Eclipse again]) or whatever better than I do but can only do what the IDE lets them do or what Mosh Hamedani taught them on a Pluralsight course.

If you hadn't noticed, I'm auditioning for "Grumpy Old Men"

Edited by b737800
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

Can we expect the SDK to be openly published before the release of MSFS? 

that would be nice.

It will depend on whether releasing stuff with the SDK requires paying a microsoft tax.

freeware mods getting no reply suggests it will.

AutoATC Developer

6 hours ago, b737800 said:

A9 A2 EA 20 4C (LDA LDX NOP JMP JSR) or something like that

I may be wrong but I think you have the last two reversed. TBH I can't remember the others.

Ian Box

3 minutes ago, Ian Box said:

I may be wrong but I think you have the last two reversed. TBH I can't remember the others.

I definitely have, I thought so after I re-read it but there was no way anyone else would remember.... I was wrong)