Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The Top Six Reasons People Are Excited For The New Sim

3 hours ago, mp15 said:

Well my primary languages are latin origin and it is 'calvario' so I don't really mind my typo but thanks for pointing it out.

http://www.spanishcentral.com/translate/calvario

Hehehe!  

Also:

Horse:

Brazilian Portuguese: cavalo
European Portuguese: cavalo
European Spanish: caballo
Latin American Spanish: caballo
Italian: cavallo

Cavalry:

Brazilian Portuguese: cavalaria
European Portuguese: cavalaria
European Spanish: caballería
Latin American Spanish: caballería
French: cavalerie
German: Kavallerie
Italian: cavalleria

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Chock, you couldn't be more right in your views. I tend to steer clear of video game Youtube channels as most of them are just clickbait traps run by people who rely on advertising income so they might not have to get a real job and instead sit at home and play video games. Why would I want to watch someone else play a video game???? Our time on this planet is so limited I can't imagine a bigger waste of that precious resource. Good Lord I could go on and on........

40 minutes ago, Chock said:

since I won't waste my time watching that stuff when the official sources have the same information at better resolution

Soooooooo.... Did you actually watch the video before deciding it was garbage?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

LOL, some obviously seem to dislike him...... For some interesting reasons.

For me. I think that since his viewership probably easily matches the entire active membership of this site, and is beyond the wildest dreams of most of us (like me) who have modest youtube channels, I must say I can only aspire to learn from his embarrassing success..... 😏

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Soooooooo.... Did you actually watch the video before deciding it was garbage?

You do realise that comment of mine you've quoted there was a response from me to someone commenting on my opinion of pewdiepie's content, don't you?

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

6 minutes ago, Chock said:

You do realise that comment of mine you've quoted there was a response from me to someone commenting on my opinion of pewdiepie's content, don't you?

Since your reasoning seems to be the same for both channels, I'm still interested in the answer.

Devons rig

Well in that case, no, I didn't say it was garbage, I said it, like pretty much all the other FS 2020 videos of its ilk, was a rather pointless video, the purpose of which was to garner views rather than to offer any worthwhile insight. Which it undeniably is. However, to answer the question at hand, yes, I did watch it, since it might have been otherwise so, and I'd be in no position to make a judgement of that nature until I actually had watched it.

Either way, I am not, nor would wish to be the arbiter of the merit of anything anyone else chooses to enjoy, that is up to the individual. So it is solely an opinion entirely related to the subject material of the video in question. Thus I would be of that opinion for any such video which was of that nature, therefore it in no way is indicative of a wider opinion on any other more worthwhile content the creator has, or might choose to make.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Did you actually watch the video before deciding it was garbage?

I like the guy, and have watched some of his other MSFS and ED videos.  But I don't think this was his best video for me, nor for most of this forum.  This video is more for people that haven't heard of MSFS, want to know why the hype, or are on the fence and are deciding if they should be hyped or not.  I don't think that fits any of us.

Not everybody likes the same things.  I like Rick and Morty, but my friends don't.  Life goes on.

4 hours ago, Chock said:

Well in that case, no, I didn't say it was garbage, I said it, like pretty much all the other FS 2020 videos of its ilk, was a rather pointless video, the purpose of which was to garner views rather than to offer any worthwhile insight. Which it undeniably is. However, to answer the question at hand, yes, I did watch it, since it might have been otherwise so, and I'd be in no position to make a judgement of that nature until I actually had watched it.

Either way, I am not, nor would wish to be the arbiter of the merit of anything anyone else chooses to enjoy, that is up to the individual. So it is solely an opinion entirely related to the subject material of the video in question. Thus I would be of that opinion for any such video which was of that nature, therefore it in no way is indicative of a wider opinion on any other more worthwhile content the creator has, or might choose to make.

Or maybe, just maybe the guy is interested in flight sims, hyped for this new upcoming release and wants to share his enthusiasm with people. Which is an extremely good thing: more big youtubers we get talking about it (or "exploiting it for views" as you say) --> more people will learn about it and may buy it --> more money for Microsoft who will be more willing to continue development.

But no, this is all just a stunt to get views and no one ever wants to share something they like.

Edited by nikita
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, nikita said:

Or maybe, just maybe the guy is interested in flight sims, hyped for this new upcoming release and wants to share his enthusiasm with people. Which is an extremely good thing: more big youtubers we get talking about it (or "exploiting it for views" as you say) --> more people will learn about it and may buy it --> more money for Microsoft who will be more willing to continue development.

But no, this is all just a stunt to get views and no one ever wants to share something they like.

Except that they are not 'sharing' it, they are 'using' it to gain views for their channel, for money, and that's not even getting into the fact that the percentage ratio of original material to use of copyrighted work severely pushes boundaries of the fair use rules and copyright laws for a monetised channel. If you want to share it because you are enthusiastic, you can simply do this: SEE HOW I SHARE STUFF :-) Oh look at that, MS has a youtube channel with the same videos these people are plagiarising.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

The channel in question is primarily an Elite Dangerous channel by someone who, as far as I can tell, isn't and never has been an attention/money seeker. Heck, if we're talking about 'using' the material of others for views/money, all social networks/forums/review/publishing/news outlets are guilty of this, indeed it's the basis of their whole business model.

The chap is clearly a fan of large, detailed, open-world exploration games and I for one am glad he is helping to promote Flight Simulator to people who otherwise may not be interested. From what I can gather he typically doesn't drag videos out a second longer than necessary, and they are largely informative, current and well presented - the opposite approach to someone only interested in money. For all we know he may never have used a flight sim in his life, but why should that prevent him from getting enthusiastic about this one? I've also no doubt what-so-ever that over the years he has brought a lot of people to Elite specifically and - by extension - profits to the developers via his 'garbage', sorry, 'pointless' videos 😉. If he does likewise for FS then great, I wish him all the success he gets, and I suspect Microsoft will too.

• Like 6

Bernard

I finally got around to watching the video. I thought it was pretty good and a good introduction to MSFS for the non-flight simmer crowd.

I couldn't understand his accent without closed captioning, and a lot of it the closed captioning system didn't quite understand either. 😄 

This is the kind of video, that if I was only to watch one, I'd like to watch one like this.  He compressed a lot of information into a short video that looked quite good.

Thanks for posting it.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

15 hours ago, Roger Ramjet said:

Chock, you couldn't be more right in your views. I tend to steer clear of video game Youtube channels as most of them are just clickbait traps run by people who rely on advertising income so they might not have to get a real job 

That might be unfair. It might be a diferent sort of "job" than many of us are familiar with, but many are unaware of what it takes to create and sustain a significant YouTube channel. 

If they are creating a product and getting paid for it and the customer watches it... then it's a "real" job.

If they have a significant following then that is evidence for the fact that what they do is appreciated.

ObsidianAnt has a good YouTube channel. When I played Elite Dangerous I watched many of his videos. They were useful and informative. 

Edited by martin-w

On 2/29/2020 at 10:15 PM, Chock said:

To that I would say that Felix Kjelberg, aka youtube’s ‘Pewdiepie’ managed To garner 103 million subscribers and 24.5 billion views on YouTube through making videos of obnoxious profanity-laden lowest common denominator rubbish. Which would tend to indicate that, as is the case with a lot of things, widespread popularity with large numbers of people is no indicator of either talent or quality.

He might not create the content you like, but the sheer number of followers he has tells us that "talent" and "quality" is subjective. Clearly the huge number of followers he has are quite fond of the quality of his work and probably regard him as talented

"obnoxious profanity-laden lowest common denominator rubbish"

Acording to your subjective opinion. Clearly not according to his huge number of followers. 

Edited by martin-w