Sign in to follow this  
simtom

MSFS Required Specs

I think the GPU requirements are somewhat mismatched. The RX 570 performs similarly to the GTX 970, and it's pretty much impossible that NVIDIA will bother optimising a new game for Kepler. Also the Radeon VII doesn't hold up well to the RTX 2080, and the difference will be further exaggerated when ray-tracing is added.

My personal recommendations, an HD 7970 as the minimum AMD GPU (and GCN performs way better than Kepler in newer AAA titles, which means it might pull ahead of the GTX 770), and an RDNA 2 competitor to the RTX 2080 as the optimal equivalent.

17 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

giving system requirements is not a date, therefore that is still coming.

I think you have that wrong. The official website has the specs listed under save the date banner. Save the date was referring to the date they listed the information was coming, not that the information was a date. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, pracines said:

I agree, and I so appreciate the long standing franchise LM has offered through the years. Two of the biggest features for me were 64bit and the cloud behavior (minimizing the awful billboards).

In the grand scheme of things, the flight sim market was ready to BURST out of its shell, and there will always be the Military market for P3D.

If things go very well for MSFS at least the P3D forum wont be so flooded with the same old problems over and over...UGH🤢🤮

I do wonder if LM does not have a few things up its sleeve in case MSFS is not as successful as it appears it will be. <---for me, this would be catastrophic, cataclysmic, utter disaster, a death blow, a double death blow!😱 ....to me X-Plane and the others just don't cut it.

Any civilian flight sim developer must simply relocate its core code to a super new tech world/graphic engine to compete with MSFS.

Makeup over actual engines won't do it... It's as simple as that.

But most probably this won't happen soon... Leaving MSFS the leader in VFR and immersion, of course, if all goes according to MS plans...

Honestly, I don't care about P3D as its business model and market is not for me no matter what engine they might move to... 

As for XP, I think a new engine is not for tomorrow considering recent Vulkan implementation... But they might try to revamp the scenery and weather in the actual engine for V12 most probably...

Edited by Claviateur
  • Upvote 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Not exactly what I expected from the update but good to have some idea about specs. Glad I only need a bit more RAM and a new graphics card. The only question is whether I should wait for the GTX 3080.

Edited by Shack95
spelling
  • Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

1 minute ago, Shack95 said:

Not exactly what I expected from the update but good to have some idea about specs. Glad I only need a bit more RAM and e new graphics card. The only question is whether I should wait for the GTX 3080.

Always wait if you can afford to. Not only for the RTX 3080 but for the i9 10900K or the Ryzen 4000 desktop parts. No reason to upgrade today for software that is not even released. Besides once it is released it will take a while for the bugs to be squashed and enough add-ons to be released. You are most likely looking at 2021 for a mature version.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

The only question is whether I should wait for the GTX 3080.

I would wait considering MSFS isn't available, and we don't even know when it will be. I'm certainly sitting on my hands until after release.

• Like 1

This may sound like heresy on these boards, but I am semi-seriously considering the option of getting an Xbox Series X for MSFS2020... Reality is, I would be spending 1.5k-2k on a new desktop solely for FS, I would not need it for anything else. I'm not a big gamer, but I certainly would be using the Xbox for more than only flying.

I guess my main worries about the Xbox option are (1) that MSFS2020 gets released months later on this platform and (2) the limitations related to peripherals. Am I forgetting other downsides with that plan? Anyone considering this option?

16 minutes ago, Turpentine said:

This may sound like heresy on these boards, but I am semi-seriously considering the option of getting an Xbox Series X for MSFS2020... Reality is, I would be spending 1.5k-2k on a new desktop solely for FS, I would not need it for anything else. I'm not a big gamer, but I certainly would be using the Xbox for more than only flying.

I guess my main worries about the Xbox option are (1) that MSFS2020 gets released months later on this platform and (2) the limitations related to peripherals. Am I forgetting other downsides with that plan? Anyone considering this option?

Your first concern is possible to become true. As far as we know, they didn't start working on the Xbox version and they will probably starting doing that only after the PC release. It can take months until they port it to the Xbox (Just my guess, I have no real info here, I'm basing my guess on the other games ports).

About peripherals on Xbox, it will depend on what you use/will want to use with MSFS2020. There are yokes available for it, also you can plug and use your mouse and keyboard on the console. But if you want to use a lot more than that, I am not sure it will be possible, everything is open here, we will need to wait the release of both the new Xbox and MSFS2020 on it to be sure. The current gen of consoles might not support it just because there wasn't a title that needed those peripherals. When MSFS2020 is released on the Xbox, Microsoft might be encouraged to make it possible to use a lot more peripherals related to flight simulation. Also the manufacturers (Logitech, Thrustmaster, Honeycomb etc) must be interested to talk to Microsoft and find a way to do so.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

54 minutes ago, KenG said:

LOL! Build a min spec PC and see how long it lasts. Once the add-ons start flying even the Ideal Requirement PC will break a sweat. 

Break a sweat?? it will at least be in a neck brace 😄

6 hours ago, Bottle said:

Depends greatly on where you are and who you’re with. I’m in the UK (South West rural), with Virgin and on 150 Mb/s. I could go to 300 if I want.

You would think so and yet BT Infinity (FTTC) can only deliver 10Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up to my home 4 miles south of Edinburgh in Scotland. Virgin infrastructure has recently been established close by. Assuming speeds are significantly higher, and I can connect, then once they are online you won’t see me for dust! BT should be hanging their heads in shame! 

Mike

A very wide range of technical specs between the minimum and optimum. What does it mean or imply running a PC with the minimum specs?. The same apply to ideal or optimum. Yet a lot to see, I guess.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

14 hours ago, irrics said:

In my opinion, you're going to want the ideal spec

You might even say it's the ideal spec.

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I cannot understand why resolution has not been mentioned. Can a 2080 deliver the same performance at 3840*2160 as it can at 1920*1080? Surely not.

Any possibility someone with inside contacts can ask the question please?

I recall, during a few of the videos released after the Global Event in Seattle, those invited mentioned they couldn't tell much about the specs of the machines they were using, but that one of them saw a 2080Ti inside.  Going with the idea Asobo/MS were giving these folks a go at the sim, and probably trying to make the best impression possible, the resolutions used there were similar to the E3 footage.  I think all of them agreed that, surprisingly (to them), what they saw in that trailer (In-game 4k footage) was exactly what they saw at the event.  A few famously went in expecting to be had, but were surprised when they had hands on time, that the trailer was no gimmick.  I am thinking/hoping perhaps the Ideal Specs may be what's needed for a 4k experience, similar to the trailer/Global Event?

Admittedly this is putting a few things together without absolute proof.  Here's hoping this turns out to be the case 🙏

Edited by Far_Isle_Pilot
typo, clarity

Well 1080p is good enough for me, i dont care about 4k at all, so my 16gb ram and 1080 ti graphics should be more than enough to handle this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On the CPU front, i think their selection criteria might have something to do with the L2 Cache, as well has memory bandwidth.

CPU          Mem Bandwidth          L2 Cache
9900K       39.74 GB/s                    2 MB (8x256 KB)
9800X       79.47 GB/s                    8 MB (8x1 MB)
2700 Pro   43.71 GB/s                    4 MB (8x512 KB)

• Upvote 1

Asus Strix X570-E  |  Ryzen 9 5950X  |  Asus TUF RTX 3080 OC  |  GSkill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3600  |  Samsung 970 EVO  |  Acer Predator XB271HU  |  Windows 10 Pro