Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Imagine where MSFS will be in 3 years?

I think it's too early to tell where this sim will be in three years time. If bugs are fixed and improvements made (replay system added) and it has a full on sim mode as well as catering for casual gamers then it could do well. There are lots of things missing ( a learning centre like FSX had for one thing). The UI is really clunky and in my view an actual step backwards from other sims.

Unfortunately these days products seem to be relased way to way early. You only have to look at a certain train simulator that was released this week to see some similarities. (Fancy graphics but shallow system depth).

• Upvote 2

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

At this point, it all depends on the SDK and third-party developers, that is the key to this entire product if it makes it or not. It is possible Asobo will come in and do a lot more development, but my gut feeling is they are going to work on the SDK and helping third party devs. So the free lunch we were all hoping for in not paying for the third-party add-ons is likely a slap in the face, rather than a filet mignon.

Edited by SceneryFX
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

16 minutes ago, OneOfMany said:

Sorry Hook. My tongue was planted so far in my cheek when I wrote that, it probably was misunderstood 😋

I thought it was kinda funny, hence my response.  "SHIP IT!"

Seems odd to read all the negative posts today.  Seems even odder not to care. 😄 

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I think all the Over sale and noise from kids who are "removing Sim version X" from their computer all encouraged by the influx of Ms fanboi's is kind of making this whole release seem worse than it had to be. Yep there are some problems for sure but if MS can over come this initial storm then much can be fixed. The good news is that X-Pain and FSX or P3D can be down loaded in way less than 26 hours!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Never tried P3D v5 because did not want to re-invest in all the needed third party stuff after FSX. I think my biggest surprise is how much more popular P3D seems in here than Xplane, but I guess it is because of all the high-end payware planes. Xplane had a few good freeware planes and a couple great payware, but that's all it was, a few. P3D had endless third-party planes that were of the highest quality.

As far as scenery goes though, I think Xplane had the upper hand after mods (compared to P3D), but yah it's a LOT of work.

That said, I still found Xplane trees so bad from Orbx (and others), that I was making my own, but it takes a LONG time to make all those different tree types (too long).

The trees alone in MSFS are making it hard to go back, not to mention the detail texture overlays in MSFS are worlds above Xplane's detail textures (Xplane had about 20 different overlays if I recall, but none were that good).

Edited by SceneryFX
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

4 hours ago, paulscottrobson said:

"Can we make this work on a PDP-11 ?"

..... we didn't know, neither of us had used one, we didn't have one, possibly.

"It's all C isn't it .... I've sold one to run on a PDP-11"

Cheers 😞

Oh, we all have war stories don't we? 

I once knew a salesman who always said "yes" to every question about the product from the customer.  I asked him why he did than without asking us first, and he replied: "Well, all the other guys are saying yes and if I say no we'll lose the sale."

"Aren't you concerned about whether it actually does work, or is even possible?" I asked.

"You guys are magicians," he replied, "I know you'll get it to work somehow."

Facepalm.

Edited by Dutch727
  • Like 1

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

Here's one thing to consider about the future. MS is selling the standard edition of MSFS for either $60 US. You can also buy it via GamePass along with bunch of other games for $5/month. Does anyone really think that the $60 version will get free updates for 3 years? I'd be surprised with one or two years knowing MS.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

X-Pain

Lmao. Looks like the truth came out

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

11 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Here's one thing to consider about the future. MS is selling the standard edition of MSFS for either $60 US. You can also buy it via GamePass along with bunch of other games for $5/month. Does anyone really think that the $60 version will get free updates for 3 years? I'd be surprised with one or two years knowing MS.

They are growing their xbox game pass ecosystem. So yes. 

30 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Anything more than a year is a miracle for FS2020. 

Microsoft could very well shelf this within the next 6 months and fire Asobo. Like what they did with the FSX team. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, maniamcool said:

Microsoft could very well shelf this within the next 6 months and fire Asobo. Like what they did with the FSX team. 

😂 Hi Austin

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, maniamcool said:

You must be a right laugh at parties.

• Like 5

I'm blown away by where MS FS2020 is now 😎
The best thing to ever happen to flight-simming, and it will only get better from here.
If the competitors rise to the challenge all the better, but the future looks bright for desk-pilots.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, maniamcool said:

They could also set their building on fire and dance naked on the ashes, but that's not going to happen.

MSFS is a huge commercial success and the internet ecosystem is far more adept to continued monetization than it was in 2006. They are going to ride this train for at least 4-5 years.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

have the feeling that even in one year from now the simulator will be in a much healthier and complete state.

I hope so...from your lips to gods ears, as the saying goes!

20 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

They've got several major updates planned over the next 3-9 months.

Lets just hope that the roadmap for those is not already set in stone and will allow for many of the needed fixes found by the beta testers and customers to be added in.