Sign in to follow this  
hrhett01

Looking to love my sim...just enough (an open letter LM)

It only took about 3 flights of MS2020 for me to get bored with it. I've found that at the end of the day, MS2020 still falls short in a lot of areas as far as scenery goes, and is so shallow with its aircraft. I find myself going back to the Majestic Q400 or PMDG 737 and realize I'm hardly ever looking out the window anyway, other than the high quality airports I own. P3D will always remain for me, I would imagine, scenery or no. Is there really any reason to invest in the same planes for MS2020?

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 4:01 PM, TravelRunner404 said:

<snip>
For who? Probably the home consumers, whom P3D relies on quite a bit to make sure funding continues. <snip>

You really think Lockheed Martin needs our measly contribution for P3D to stay afloat?

Lockheed Martin Scores $62 Billion F-16 Sale  AUG 24, 2020 8:07AM EDT

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RamonB said:

You really think Lockheed Martin needs our measly contribution for P3D to stay afloat?

Lockheed Martin Scores $62 Billion F-16 Sale  AUG 24, 2020 8:07AM EDT

What  does that sale has to do with the LM P3D part of the company? 

No one has money to throw out of the window. Business is usually strategic and/or making profit. 

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I am very glad that LM did not rush out v5.1 just before MSFS was released.

Hopefully EA has been improved that it is no longer a beta ( more cloudlayers / sharper cumulus clouds )

And that performance will remain stable as in V4.5.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, twsharp12 said:

It only took about 3 flights of MS2020 for me to get bored with it. I've found that at the end of the day, MS2020 still falls short in a lot of areas as far as scenery goes, and is so shallow with its aircraft. I find myself going back to the Majestic Q400 or PMDG 737 and realize I'm hardly ever looking out the window anyway, other than the high quality airports I own. P3D will always remain for me, I would imagine, scenery or no. Is there really any reason to invest in the same planes for MS2020?

You mean, you hardly have any ability to actually fly a plane and navigate and can only press the autopilot button to on to do that to ‘fly’?

MSFS is revolutionary and won’t be long before it’s the genuine article for flight simulation. 

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yeah, it's all me, I take credit for everything LM have provided since 2013:

• 64bit
  • PBR
  • Dynamic Lights (aka Volumentric)
  • Dynamic Reflections
  • TrueSKY (Enhanced Atmospherics)
  • nVidia Wave Works
  • SpeedTrees (3D vegetation)
  • HDR
  • SSAA support
  • Variable Refresh Rate support
  • VR support
  • 120 FPS TFR
  • Dynamic Texture Streaming
  • High Resolution Textures (1024 x 1024 terrain resolution support aka TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10)
  • 3 LOD levels higher
  • 3X more Autogen
  • Volumetric Fog
  • Windshield Effects
  • Godrays
  • Ability for high quality shadow maps
  • DX12
  • Add-On process
  • Momentum Effects
  • GPS Network Transmit
  • PDK all features
  • SDK all added features
  • More threading support

Yep, that was all me, no one else had any input at all. 🙄

As real as it gets?

You da Man!!!!!! - we need more bells and whistles 

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I'm not permitted to comment of v5.1 per NDA.  Agree with your input about EA which has been passed along by myself and many others and hasn't fallen on deaf ears.

Cheers, Rob.

You gotta get me on that beta team (lol)

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I always like it when Rob A. has time to post on the forum. For some reason, when he has extra time then we seem to get a surprise from the guys over at LM in pretty short order. Hope I am not blowing your cover Rob.🤐 As always, thanks for doing what you do!

• Like 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

What  does that sale has to do with the LM P3D part of the company? 

No one has money to throw out of the window. Business is usually strategic and/or making profit. 

Marcus

Bold by me. There is Your answer.
Maybe this will help You connect the dots...

Training 101

The technical and graphics upgrades achieved in Prepar3D (pronounced prepared) were numerous, including painstaking recreations of cityscapes, night flying and infrared sensor options, and a newfound emphasis on real-world physics. 

But most surprising of all was Lockheed Martin’s decision to open up Prepar3D’s code to the public, allowing private users and software developers to create new scenarios, applications, and add-ons of their own, much in the same way savvy designers can create apps for smart phones.

The result is a program capable of constant evolution, which offers greater and greater fidelity to technical innovations while retaining the accuracy of real-world environments.

&

Educating the Engineers of Tomorrow

By 2012, Prepar3d was being used not only by the U.S. Air Force for cockpit familiarization and procedures training, but also in high school classrooms as a novel way to teach math and trigonometry and as the centerpiece of the National Flight Academy’s new in-residence program. At the Pensacola Naval Air Station, students camp in a mock aircraft carrier, learning the various duties required above board and below. 

It’s just one wing of Lockheed Martin’s STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) initiative, which is dedicated to helping a new generation understand the importance of math and engineering via innovative applications.

Do You think governments are going to give the keys to an F-35 stealth fighter to anyone, before completing proper training in a simulator?

If You still need more, see this: 5 Ways Prepar3D Version 5 is Changing the Game.
or Training Logistics Sustainment.

We AVSIM P3D users, are no more than a drop in the pond for LM.

Edited by RamonB
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, RamonB said:

Bold by me. There is Your answer.
Maybe this will help You connect the dots...

&

Do You think governments are going to give the keys to an F-35 stealth fighter to anyone, before completing proper training in a simulator?

If You still need more, see this: 5 Ways Prepar3D Version 5 is Changing the Game.
or Training Logistics Sustainment.

We AVSIM P3D users, are no more than a drop in the pond for LM.

Still...what has the sale to do with P3D?

But I am sure you know and of course you are so right.

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I need to create investment fund - we need to gather all the monies, and buy large block of shares (it will have to be in approx 1 billion USD) - then use the power of owning some shares - say even 1% of their shares from market float.  Get me on the board.  First thing I will do is well "Request" Prepar3d be improved with tons of budget b/c I am on the board and I want it done.  

We Need to acquire 2,767,000 Shares (1% of their total 2767.2 Million Shares Available to trade) and after market price as of right now is at $395.50 X 2767000 shares = $1,094,348,500

and the Dividend Yield is 2.4% - so we will make some extra money on the side also.

That is how you grease the corporate wheel of a publicly traded company.  Heck even if we did .50% ownership of shares of half a billion we could some major push to change Prepar3d even faster.

Sounds like a great plan. Who is with me on this.

🤪

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I can offer $5 :laugh:

Most people just offer their two cents.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I can offer $5 :laugh:

2 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Most people just offer their two cents.

Thanks...and we do have so many .02 cents here....paypal account coming right up 🤪

MSFS is already fabulous for what it is--but like everyone else I have no idea where it will go.   It may be a dire mistake to try to make it a full-service training simulator, to really compete for the same market audience that P3D appeals to.  For simple VFR it's very impressive.  It's easy to see photorealism w/ 3D objectts is far superior to what P3D offers in terms of VFR flying, and other areas of MSFS hopefully will be improved over time, especially as it ports to Xbox if that is still in the cards.   I have no problem using both sims there are completely different and I have no problems if they stay that way.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

More sim choice the better I say! Not everyone has the same needs. Keeps things competitive in the marketplace.

Question: while we have heard and seen the reports on the MSFS scenery which is a noticeable eye-catcher, what about other parts of sim functionality in general. The one that comes to mind is ATC.

If you take each of the core sims without any addons installed, is there any sim today on the market that does a reasonable job of providing ATC for both VFR and IFR traffic when offline?

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!