Sign in to follow this  
hrhett01

Looking to love my sim...just enough (an open letter LM)

3 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Rob and I usually agree about most things related to flightsims. But in my opinion his criticisms of MSFS are over the top. At release, it's a beautiful VFR simulator.

Unfortunately it was rushed out the door in order to capture a bored, housebound population who have the COVID-19 blues. And there's no doubt in my mind that the impending debut of MSFS also forced LM to release a half-done P3d5.

We are still in the first phase of a long term competition and as I've said before, in six months the situation will look totally different.

do you honestly think one of the worlds largest militray contractor (with the below figures) are worried about a kids game... they wont care. they are after the big bucks.  not simmers chicken feed.

Net income US$6.23 billion (2019)
Total assets US$47.53 billion (2019)
Total equity US$3.17 billion (2019)

Do you honestly think the saudi and taiwian miiltary for example are going  to buy a kids flightsim.  No way.  of course they are not.

I know simbols got you all thinking that LM are a bunch of fluffy bunnies, but Marillyn Adams Hewson isnt worried about ms2020.  They are after the big bucks  

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

3 hours ago, Mace said:

Did you even read @F737NG 's post?   I think that expresses the view pretty well, of most...

You on the other hand -- and you can correct me if I'm wrong -- seem to be of the mind that you're getting delusion and possibly even bad vibes in the P3D subforum.  That is not what you are getting.  What you are getting are no rose-colored glasses, and an eye that, in 6 months or a year, things may indeed be different.  That's what @F737NG said, plus more.

I wasn’t referring to that poster, I was referring to the key opinion leader who said MSFS only works conceptually, and that its core USP (streaming and AI) is “a failed process” which shouldn’t be pursued in P3D. Not ‘it’s a process which needs time for the hardware to catch up’, but is simply “a failed process”.

I understand Rob has worked very hard to help people with P3D and has a special place in this community. Unfortunately I think his evangelizing of P3D often spills over in to overly dismissive views on other sims. Personally I think he’s very wrong about MSFS’s streaming model having failed. My experience on my modest rig with a widescreen is already very good, and I can’t imagine going back to the old model of downloading select handcrafted regions.

I hope both P3D and XP opinion leaders stop being so dismissive of MSFS’s challenge, and trust me, Rob has been very dismissive of it from the beginning. Even though MSFS looks to be able to answer most simmers’ prayers long-term, I don’t want MS to have a monopoly.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

3 hours ago, scotchegg said:

I wasn’t referring to that poster,

I know that.  I think we all know that.  But maybe @F737NG 's post is worth digesting.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

11 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

do you honestly think one of the worlds largest militray contractor (with the below figures) are worried about a kids game... they wont care. they are after the big bucks.  not simmers chicken feed.

Net income US$6.23 billion (2019)
Total assets US$47.53 billion (2019)
Total equity US$3.17 billion (2019)

Do you honestly think the saudi and taiwian miiltary for example are going  to buy a kids flightsim.  No way.  of course they are not.

I know simbols got you all thinking that LM are a bunch of fluffy bunnies, but Marillyn Adams Hewson isnt worried about ms2020.  They are after the big bucks  

Do you honestly think that LM has implemented True-Sky, Dynamic Lightning or DX12 on behalf of the Saudi military?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

15 hours ago, RamonB said:

I'll just post this here. While I wait for P3D 5.1

p1d2kdq7oej0ye66g.jpg

I'll just this here.  The infamous full screen bug I had this morning. 

DSC-0037.jpg

14ppkc-6.png

Who says we all need a own on premise CPU to run Flightsims? Isn't  the whole Industrie moving from on premise solutions to cloud services? What about centralizing "cpu horsepower" and stream the whole output? That would solve the existing bottleneck. Don't try to solve with workarounds. Solve the bottlenecks that would be more useful. I personally think msfs will solve many things we are currently complaining about. And MS, as the biggest software house in the world, has clrear targets and vision which will also cover large parts via Gaming Industries. 

I am very confident that this competition will speed up the development on all sims. And we will all have some benefits from this. 

I don't aim for one or another sim. I am aiming for flexibility and some huge steps forward regarding performance and smoothness with better atmospheric visuals and flight dynamics to use on my mid and long haul flights. I am sure it will come rather sooner than later.

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

5 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Do you honestly think that LM has implemented True-Sky, Dynamic Lightning or DX12 on behalf of the Saudi military?

Probably yes as USP to try and sell them V5.

do you think Virgin put flat beds in Upper for familes?.. no we put them in there because we can charge £7000 for LHR-JFK  "J Class" Fully Flex Fare in Upper.   Its for the corporate clients.  The RBS, HSBC, CitiBank, PWC, etc etc etc.  If we could get a contract for the MOD or similar we would jump on it.

We will always go after the corporate customers.  Same as LM.

Its where the big money is at.

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

4 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

Probably yes as USP to try and sell them V5.

do you think Virgin put flat beds in Upper for familes?.. no we put them in there because we can charge £7000 for LHR-JFK  "J Class" Fully Flex Fare in Upper.   Its for the corporate clients.  The RBS, HSBC, CitiBank, PWC, etc etc etc.  If we could get a contract for the MOD or similar we would jump on it.

We will always go after the corporate customers.  Same as LM.

Its where the big money is at.

Well I work for a (very) big corporation but on a relatively small project. As long as that project is either financially sustainable or important from a strategic perspective, it does not need to bring the in "big money" to survive.

P3D is a small project, but an important one for LM's overall strategy. To think that they only care about corporate costumers is a mistake.

IMHO LM has not implemented TrueSky for the Taiwanese Air Force, but rather for prime users that are important to boost the simulator's ecossystem (community engagement, 3rd. party content purchases, etc), in a similar fashion to what Virgin did to please their 1st. class costumers.

Now, if a different airline comes around offering a much better hard product for a competitive price, there is a risk that these "elite" costumers will just leave. Sure, the older legacy company might still endure from fidelity passengers and government contracts, but that is about it.

MSFS is that new airline in my eyes...

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

6 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

I'll just this here.  The infamous full screen bug I had this morning. 

DSC-0037.jpg

So.. Your MSFS failed. Sorry.

Edited by RamonB

2 hours ago, GCBraun said:

offering a much better hard product

LIke always THAT lays in the eye of the beholder: the one who just want make short hops in small aircrafts with this brand new fancy airline may be see that as better product. The other one who wants also make trips farther away with bigger and more advanced aircrafts chooses still to use the more experienced airline. Not the fanciest PR to they have, and the lines of their planes are not the all rage. But they still have the reliable way more advanced technics in their company.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

On 8/21/2020 at 11:11 PM, GSalden said:

LM will never do this.

Bing is from MS and Google Earth is from Google.

Like cwburnett I am having pr scenery + custom AG only for almost every country in Europe ( that is where I fly ) so with EA I am having a very realistic environment....

I just watched this an WOW! am in complete awe Actually felt i was in the cockpit with you. Very Very well done! :smile:

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

55 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

LIke always THAT lays in the eye of the beholder: the one who just want make short hops in small aircrafts with this brand new fancy airline may be see that as better product. The other one who wants also make trips farther away with bigger and more advanced aircrafts chooses still to use the more experienced airline. Not the fanciest PR to they have, and the lines of their planes are not the all rage. But they still have the reliable way more advanced technics in their company.

I mentioned hard product, not soft product. I am comparing base offerings only. 

Very nice job indeed. I would expect it may be 5 or more years before the new MS sim will evolve to that point just like it has taken LM some years. These systems take a long time to come together.

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, RamonB said:

So.. Your MSFS failed. Sorry.

No that's P3dv5.  One of bugs

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

This mite be off topic but cant get an answer in 2020 forums.

I have been doing i little bit of flying and when i land at airports that should have VASI lights at end of runway they are not there. Did test in to ksfo and no lights. It is a little hard to know when red over red your dead is  going to happen.

Please confirm if this is the case that they do not work in that game as that to me is a big deal.

Thanks ted