Sign in to follow this  
Daytona125

No developer planes yet?

Just now, Gilandred said:

Just curious, but is that even legal to essentially repackage a default aircraft and sell it?

No Lawyer but common sense would dictate that to be a big NO NO! They are licensed under the game legals.

4 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

No Lawyer but common sense would dictate that to be a big NO NO! They are licensed under the game legals.

Unless they have an agreement with the developer of that default aircraft of course. And when you consider it's sold on the Marketplace, you'd assume some sort of agreement is in place.

Just now, DPSimulation said:

Unless they have an agreement with the developer of that default aircraft of course. And when you consider it's sold on the Marketplace, you'd assume some sort of agreement is in place.

Then , I don't believe they would ever a agree to marketing of the product or by the time you were done with the legalities, it wouldn't be profitable.

2 minutes ago, DPSimulation said:

On the other hand, if you have developed A320 from scratch and want to sell it in BA livery on the marketplace you should have an agreement in place with both Airbus and British Airways. I wonder if this ever has been the case before with X-plane and so on. 

1 hour ago, BMW969 said:

Please share which aircraft are you delighted with? 

The TBM 930 flies nicely. Does it perform like the real one? I have no idea coz I don't own the real one. I can fly it from A to B, using proper procedures. Not all of the stuff in the G3X works, and the ATC is at times buggy, but for version 1.0 Microsoft hit it out of the ball park. 

The source of most problems usually is the guy sitting in front of the monitor. 

As for PMDG, Milviz, FSLabs bringing their stuff over to MSFS 2020 - it'll be 2-10 years, if at all. If the default Airbus gets ziboed, I doubt many people are going to be willing to spend three digit dineros for a few more buttons and switches. 

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 4

My understanding is that any default gauges or systems that have been included in the SDK as examples are available to be used by developers.

Al

Edited by ark

50 minutes ago, Mengy said:

<snip>
I think Asobo did a great job with most of them.  Flying them in cockpit has been a wonderful experience for me.

There seems to be an odd thing going on with some Avsim members about what is "acceptable" for default aircraft in sims today.  Were people expecting PMDG levels of detail and refinement for every single default plane or something?

For the record, I own all of the A2A GA planes for P3D, and I STILL think Asobo did a great job with the planes in MFS.

Not against You, but using Your perception of default planes.

I fully agree that Asobo did a great job modeling the default Airplanes, they look spectacular inside and out, but their performance is not on par, by any means. I expected at least correct or close by specs for weight, fuel capacity, fuel flow, range, thrust, performance, v speeds, climb, cruise speed, fuel mixture, torque, etc.
Just fly at the Bonanza, the 350i or the CItation Jets, without user mods.
(Don't mind or take into account the, FM, AP, INOP buttons or Garmin Instruments)

Purists might have wanted "study level" default airplanes, but I believe the majority of us that see flaws and bugs in them expected at least specs within range.

Edited by RamonB
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ark said:

My understanding is that any default gauges or systems that have been included in the SDK as examples are available to be used by developers.

Al

That is correct. There really is no issue with recycling XML modeldef.xml scripts for an airspeed gauge for example. The artwork must be custom however. Re-using Asobo's artwork would be a big no-no.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have no problem with aircraft using default systems, so long as it is clearly stated, and priced accordingly.  I don't necessarily need every switch and button to work in all my aircraft, and more complex aircraft can hurt frames.  I think the big issue is when these add-ons are priced the same as much more advanced ones.  The price of the current add-on is far too high for me.  

I'm fine with the defaults for the smaller GA aircraft for now.  I honestly don't need much more out of a 172, other than hopefully MS adding/fixing some of the G1000 functionality.  

• Like 2

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

20 minutes ago, Madscooter said:

On the other hand, if you have developed A320 from scratch and want to sell it in BA livery on the marketplace you should have an agreement in place with both Airbus and British Airways. I wonder if this ever has been the case before with X-plane and so on. 

I seem to recall there being some kur-fuffle with American Airlines over this many moons ago.  I believe that is why a lot of payware doesn't generally include Livery's by default and opt for a more generic developer livery or manufacturer.  But don't quote me on that I am not very well versed in the whole livery sales thing.  And I do believe developers like PMDG and ToLISS do get licenses by Airbus and Boeing at least they are advertised as such.  I am sure others do as well.

I can really see Asobo improving the default airplanes to near perfect. Why wouldn't they? It is certainly my expectation. I think there are those on here from other sims that are used to the day one release being it. In the driving sim world the developers are still changing the physics of the cars and the tyre models well over a year after initial release. Same goes for releasing more planes.

CJ

16 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Not going to happen for some time, there is no workable SDK for complex third party aircraft - but it's being worked on and we're helping with that.  Look for such addons to start working their way into the sim in about 12 months.  There is absolutely no way to speed that process up.

Now, this is PRECISELY why I laughed hysterically at all the posts from flight simmers about:

- Not needing addons any more (I mean, that was insanity run amok, it really was).

- Telling everyone they had removed P3D / X-Plane,

- Informing the world they were buying addons for P3D / X-Plane anymore,

and other nonsense.

Just sell me your twotter PLEASE. One of my favorite planes!!!!! I have it for v4 and v5 and I LOVE it!!!

Just sell me your twotter PLEASE. One of my favorite planes!!!!! I have it for v4 and v5 and I LOVE it!!!

Edited by Daytona125

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

11 hours ago, vgbaron said:

but it says DA62 - hmmmm. But the DA62 has a stick and........  🙂 

That is simply borrowing one of the default config files while figuring out the new 'package' system.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

4 hours ago, Chock said:

I guess someone forgot to send Carenado the memo about sitting there crying about not having an SDK instead of just getting on with it. Meanwhile, others are knocking out free stuff which is doing a similarly excellent job of making the allegedly talented developers look like they're not quite as good as they would have you believe.

Absolutely agree with you! Most people are really good in complaining, while a few creative guys make the best of what is there.

Look at those guys at the A32NX project. I'm in their Discord and it's amazing with what passion they are working. If they manage to get the default A320 to a somewhat acceptable level, payware devs can surely step up.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

15 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Now, this is PRECISELY why I laughed hysterically at all the posts from flight simmers about:

I wasn't laughing.  It was breaking my heart to see it.

- Not needing addons any more (I mean, that was insanity run amok, it really was).

Apparently everyone thought the default aircraft would be PMDG/A2A quality.  Few seemed to understand that you can't put study level aircraft in a sim intended for newcomers.

- Telling everyone they had removed P3D / X-Plane,

Especially the people who were deleting their old sim a full year before we expected MSFS to be released.  A few of these came back and mentioned they'd reinstalled their old sim.  I'll bet a lot more did it than told us about it.  I wasn't about to give up flight simming for a year based on a few videos and screen shots, no matter how good.

Also, Asobo had talked about the ability to import older aircraft into MSFS and I had modified most of the ones I flew and I'd want those modified versions rather than re-downloading default ones.  I wasn't going to delete these in any case.

- Informing the world they were buying addons for P3D / X-Plane anymore,

I assume you mean "weren't buying addons".  This one I can understand, but there were still aircraft I'd have bought and flown for a few months before MSFS would be released.  I was tempted by a couple of them.  After all, all aircraft have a useful life in a sim.  I usually get about 200 hours out of one before I move on to something else.  As the expected release date got closer, I wasn't tempted as much.  Then I got the Alpha invite.

I think a lot of this was what we were calling "the MSFS effect" in the early days.  After seeing the MSFS videos and screen shots, our old flight sims just didn't look as good.  I even stopped flying P3D for a while and the MSFS effect probably had a lot to do with that.

Since flying in the Alpha/Beta and release MSFS, I think I'd have real problems going back to default P3D even with addon aircraft.  I've been tempted a few times to fly P3D anyway, just for the aircraft.

It's interesting to see how much third party content has already been released though.  

Hook

Edited by LHookins

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;