Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

RTX 3080 - Flight Simulator 2020 Benchmarks

Is there any issues w/ the 'Founders Edition' model as a group?  I guess this just means this one is manufactured under Nvidia's brand name.  To me it seems in some ways like a good way to go since they designed the thing anyway.  Are there are features or restrictions w/ an FE model per se over other brands?  I care only about quality and durability as I won't O/C.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

12 minutes ago, Noel said:

Is there any issues w/ the 'Founders Edition' model as a group?  I guess this just means this one is manufactured under Nvidia's brand name.  To me it seems in some ways like a good way to go since they designed the thing anyway.  Are there are features or restrictions w/ an FE model per se over other brands?  I care only about quality and durability as I won't O/C.

Founders Edition are more or less the base models.  Gamers Nexus has done a cool tear down and it has an interesting cooler and from what I have seen it sounds like its fairly effective one at that.  I have used Founder Edition cards and aftermarket SC cards and I have had no issues with either.  No restrictions really though I generally look at warranties and what not too and buy whatever ends up being my cheapest option.  

• Upvote 1

Local PC builder just put in the option for the 3080 and it's $1,000 cheaper than selecting a 2080ti.

And for only $1,800!!!

Sin runs smoothly on ultra with my stock 1080. No upgrade required as far as I’m concerned. Certainly not for that price anyway. 

So finally watched Digital Foundry's MSFS benchmarks and its pretty impressive.  As soon as I can lay my hands on one I am going to grab it.  Curious to see how the 3090 performs but I suspect for MSFS it won't be that large of a difference.

6 minutes ago, B787Pilot3222 said:

Dell has the Alienware R11 with the 3080 listed on their US site.

$4,753.98 With the older cards showing as 'upgrades' for more $ !

Edited by Flyfaster

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

49 minutes ago, Flyfaster said:

$4,753.98 With the older cards showing as 'upgrades' for more $ !

It was $2500 earlier today, 0% financing for 12 months.

1 hour ago, B787Pilot3222 said:

No way - have a link to the build or price you saw?

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Ya know...if these idiots had some self control and would hold off on buying these things on the aftermarket sites for the insane prices, there would be no reason for these people to use bots and buy all the initial stock.

but nope, the gotta have it syndrome ruins it for everyone else.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

2 hours ago, B787Pilot3222 said:

There was an earlier post about someone spotting the R11 on the Dell before more people found it. I'm keeping an eye out on Dell.ca.

The game is built on the legacy FSX code, we wont be seeing any real performance gains till they change the API and try to sort out the original issues FSX had with performance. After all these years wrestling with FSX its quite sad to see they didn't build this from the ground up. The only real saviour in all this will be the change from DX11 to 12 along with DLSS 2.0.................. I hope 🙂

25 minutes ago, Plimmy said:

The game is built on the legacy FSX code, we wont be seeing any real performance gains till they change the API and try to sort out the original issues FSX had with performance. After all these years wrestling with FSX its quite sad to see they didn't build this from the ground up. The only real saviour in all this will be the change from DX11 to 12 along with DLSS 2.0.................. I hope 🙂

Where does this claim come from, "the game is built on legacy code" I wonder.   Compared to P3D w/ its decade of development MSFS performs far better when you consider what is being displayed in sim, and moreover CPU utilization is ultra low by comparison, and that is BEFORE going to DX12, so to me, this claim sounds totally bizarre.   Even w/o going to DX12 there will be ample headroom for running CPU-demanding study-level planes as they arrive.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

Where does this claim come from, "the game is built on legacy code" I wonder.   Compared to P3D w/ its decade of development MSFS performs far better when you consider what is being displayed in sim, and moreover CPU utilization is ultra low by comparison, and that is BEFORE going to DX12, so to me, this claim sounds bizarre.

You may not fully understand how CPU utilisation works, It's basically low due to the software  not using CPU cycles and cores to their advantage. This is why when you put a card such as the 2080 you wont see any large gains. 

30 minutes ago, Plimmy said:

No idea where this comes from...just on current systems you can see it utilizing all the cores while running if you are CPU bound or maxing out the GPU if you are GPU limited.  Can it use efficiencies gained by going to DX12 absolutely and they already stated its in the works.  But simply using code from the older engines does not mean it is any more or less improved.  Its a starting point because making a brand new engine is expensive and time consuming.  Heck Unreal Engine is based on an engine from the 1990's and no one complains about that being built off "Old code"

• Like 1