Sign in to follow this  
robert young

Bonanza Turbo V2 RELEASED

@aurel42

Probably a silly question, but have you ensured your fuel is set to fullest tank?  Ctl +E does this as part of its flow.

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

5 hours ago, oneworldflyer said:

Hi there

First of all, thank you for the mod. I like flying the Bonanza very much and therefore appreciate a lot the mod.

Unfortunately, during longer flights, I've had sudden engine failures / shut downs.

I assume it's not a bug but rather an issue with the manual mixture control.

When cruising at FL110 I usually reduce RPM to 2500 leaving the throttle wide open. The mixture is usually reduced to about 40% or so by then.

Can someone tell me what kind of mixture settings are required during cruise and also during climb and descent? Many thanks.

Well, there is an 18 page guide which includes quite detailed info about rpm, mixture, power management,fuel flow settings etc. The mixture controls in MSFS are not perfect but there is nothing in the mod that could possibly lead to engine failure.

• Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Robert is version 3 in testing now that the hot fix is out? Thanks for any update.

5 hours ago, cavaricooper said:

Probably a silly question, but have you ensured your fuel is set to fullest tank?  Ctl +E does this as part of its flow.

It is [edit: no, it was] a silly problem, so everything goes. 😄

When loading the Bonanza at a parking spot, the left tank is selected by default. The left tank is not empty. During priming, the fuel-flow-o-meter shows 16.3 GpH with the throttle fully open. I tried switching tanks, to make sure the fuel valve knob isn't in some uninitialized state after loading the aircraft.

While re-testing this for the umpteenth time, I finally had the idea to go through the startup using just the mouse. And, voilà, the engine started.

I have buttons on my throttle quadrant assigned to "Magneto 1 Decr" and "Magneto 1 Incr". They appear to be working: they move the key in the expected direction. They work in other aircraft: I can, for example, start the C172 just fine using these buttons. Using these buttons has become part of my routine whenever I start an aircraft with a "magneto key" – I'm using hardware buttons whenever possible, because, when flying in VR (or, in the case of MFS, TrackIR), I find it cumbersome to have to reach for the keyboard or mouse, and it often takes me multiple attempts to hit the correct spot with the mouse (best examples: wedding cake-style rotaries on the G1000, or the icing system switch on the DA62), unless I lean in (to "zoom") and pause TrackIR to freeze the camera position.

Anyway, somehow, the hardware buttons behave differently than turning the key with the mouse in the Bonanza. Perhaps the mouse event that turns the key to "Start" has another assignment besides triggering whatever "Magneto 1 Incr" triggers. Or the SimConnect function "Magneto 1 Incr" is just broken in some weird way for the Bonanza.

This feels good. I can now start the Bonanza properly. And I don't feel stupid any longer, just because I expected a button assignment that works in one plane to work in another… Oh. Wait. Asobo. Okay, yeah, I'm stupid. 😆

Edited by aurel42

10 hours ago, aurel42 said:

Unrelated to that, there's something that puzzles me about the checklists: why am I supposed to select the "lower tank" during climb, cruise and descent? This doesn't make any sense to me at all.

So, after my other issues are kinda resolved, I would love to get an explanation for this so I can finally fly the Bonanza in peace. 😇

(I'm referring to the checklists in Rob's "Bonanza G36 Turbo.pdf".)

edit: oh geez, this was a language barrier thing. I understood "lower" as "the tank with the smaller amount of fuel left". I now realize it probably means "the tank in the wing that is lower when banked during a turn"… correct?

Edited by aurel42

9 hours ago, robert young said:

Any feedback is welcome. I've now revised the file structure to accommodate the last Asobo update to eliminate missing liveries for some people, and will be uploading a patched version in the next few days. I will slightly increase the p-factor and reduce rudder authority on take-off, plus a few autopilot tweaks. By all means compare with your real world flight.

I understand other than turbo the difference between g36 and b35 is 20 hp. Surprisingly b35 doesn’t require much right rudder. While it was my first experience in Dynon SkyView I have plenty of hours with Aspen and Garmin PFD. But after struggling first approach it quickly started feeling like home.

Few points :

we set rudder trim before take off and don’t touch it ever again. Because of that application of right rudder is not greater than in 172.

for a  climb we use around 100kts which gives us around  1000fpm (two people full tanks, ISA+10 at MSL) and switch to cruise climb 120 kts shortly after initial climb (cowl flaps open) Both RPM and MP at full 

For approach we use around  120 kts , no flaps, gear down 17” MP and full RPM

image0.jpg

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

We videotaped the whole thing with several cameras . I will work on videos later I haven’t seen footage yet. But my hope we capture PFD MFD throug the whole flight

image0.jpg

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

10 hours ago, robert young said:

Any feedback is welcome. I've now revised the file structure to accommodate the last Asobo update to eliminate missing liveries for some people, and will be uploading a patched version in the next few days. I will slightly increase the p-factor and reduce rudder authority on take-off, plus a few autopilot tweaks. By all means compare with your real world flight.

That's great news Robert. Many thank yous.

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

We videotaped the whole thing with several cameras . I will work on videos later I haven’t seen footage yet. But my hope we capture PFD MFD throug the whole flight

image0.jpg

WOW!!! Thank you very much!!!

10 hours ago, robert young said:

Since I can't PM you I'll just say here that you are more than welcome to include my N1533W repaint if you like.   It's in the Avsim library and I've also just tested a very recent version updated with the necessary model folder and appropriate model.cfg file (the only content needed in that folder with working references back to the default model folder, so as to avoid unnecessarily bloating the download) to accommodate the recently pooched livery handling. 

URlm3Q4.png

bTNY7eF.png

kHb9QX5.png

4znzSmJ.png

Edited by Stoopy
  • Upvote 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Very nice repaint, Stoopy. Original is a 1972 G33 based in South Carolina. (with those good old round gauges) Thanks.

N1533W.thumb.JPG.1907fe9951471c4af9b34e21a04966e1.JPG

• Like 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

love this aircraft thank you!  Just flew into Liverpool at night what a beauty...

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

Edited by sidfadc

Thomas Derbyshire

6 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Since I can't PM you I'll just say here that you are more than welcome to include my N1533W repaint if you like.   It's in the Avsim library and I've also just tested a very recent version updated with the necessary model folder and appropriate model.cfg file (the only content needed in that folder with working references back to the default model folder, so as to avoid unnecessarily bloating the download) to accommodate the recently pooched livery handling. 

I like the exterior livery! Unfortunately the last update of MSFS makes it even more complicated to add liveries than before with a pointless and inexplicable change in folder structure and file requirements. For all we know the next update might change yet again. So for now I am keeping things simple and the forthcoming Turbo V3 will adapt to the update with the standard livery colour changes of V2 as I've had so many requests to include extra liveries and if I do one I'd have to do them all. I really hope in the near future Asobo comes up with a solution (which is quite easy to do if they had a will to do it) to make it a breeze for anyone to add or post new liveries, as it has been so for over 15 years with previous flight sims.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

In V3, will you incorporate any of the mods the folks modifying the non turbo Bo have done. The two I am thinking of are eliminating the Pitot Heat warning on the PFD, and incorporating some bus tie logic. Looking forward to it.