Sign in to follow this  
Fizzelle

Are the AVSIM forums really toxic?

The problem with the official forums is very different.  First off, opening the game up to game pass is great, but it also brings in a lot of people who otherwise would never bother to care about a sim.  We're also coming up to a new Xbox and Playstation launches, and that brings out a lot of different...opinions.  People take the console wars seriously, and yes, sadly people will just bash MS when they never even touch this sim.  I guarantee there are people "trolling" who are just Sony fans (and I'm sure Xbox fans are doing it elsewhere).  FS2020 has gotten a lot of attention in the regular gaming community, and what that is going to bring a lot of different people. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Not really toxic. No.

There's some troublemakers, but once I figure out who's who, I just don't engage and it's fine. By and large, a group of very helpful, humorous and friendly types.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

51 minutes ago, desbean said:

Passionate not toxic. Negative experiences are treated with respect, negative rants not so much.

"Negative ranting". Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion, if someone is VERY negative about a product they bought and rants away, i still sleep at night.

Isn't this a place to state your opinion on FS-ing? Is this not a discussion place? I see people raving to the high heavens, and that's ok, but not the opposite? As long as there's no inappropriate words, personal attacks, following TOS, etc. And who decides when a post is a rant or a negative experience?

I have read people "ranting" on here...but who knows if they are ranting, they might be as cool as a cucumber at their keyboard, they are just using very descriptive words. And THEN they get labeled as "immature"."impatient" "go play XYZ instead" love it or leave it.  As if this is their playground to dictate who can post what and when.

• Like 2

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

17 minutes ago, kerosene31 said:

.  FS2020 has gotten a lot of attention in the regular gaming community, and what that is going to bring a lot of different people. 

Interesting that. Going by some of the MFS2020 YT videos that i have seen a lot of the gaming community seem

to be almost mesmerized by the whole flight simulator thing🙂

I'm just shocked that I did not get a good response from that great music video I just played. 😀

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Like many others here I have been flight simming for more decades than I like to admit and have been a member of many forums as well.  For civilian flight simming I only spend time on AvSim since in my experience it has the widest range of expertise and most polite, engaged user base.  All taken into context as part of the great wide internet, however, where odds are you can run into negativity at any site on any given day.  However my experience here has been much better than on other sites, particularly one that is quite aptly named after an outdoor lavatory.

Surprisingly (or maybe not), when it comes to Combat Flight Sim forums, the community on the IL2 Sturmovik forums is far and away even much more positive, helpful and self-supportive.  But then, it's a closer-knit community based around one platform instead of many competing ones, so there are no P3D vs. XPlane vs. MFS arguments and if we have disagreements we can settle them with a proper duel and work our differences out in the air.  🙂

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 3

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

6 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I'm just shocked that I did not get a good response from that great music video I just played. 😀

I think maybe the video picture is like really bright

• Like 1

More like a result of the toxic world we live in

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

2 hours ago, F737NG said:

In my opinion, a lot of the comments made elsewhere regarding Avsim's reputation boils down to some generational differences.

There's a prevailing view that the typical Avsim forum member is a male 'Boomer', adds his full name to his profile, signs off every post with his first name, gets tetchy with people requesting help with frequently asked noob questions, thinks that 30+ years of flight simming makes their views unquestionable, and believes that hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars spent on add-ons is the only way to make the flight sim experience enjoyable.

A lot of that is true.

I know exactly what you mean and I agree also. Its that kind of stuff many of the Reddit threads are about. This is a helpful forum I've always gotten god guidance when Im stuck on something. 

I do still get that vibe of it being a strict boarding school sometimes 😅 I remember once someone told me to use my real name,  I was just LOL at him and he kept quiet. 

I saw a big grumble once from one of those people whom you described above (who likely wears full Captain uniform and walks around his computer with a flashlight doing the external walkaround before a 19hr real-time haul in an A350). Something about some people "not being simmers" and that now its "mostly gamers" , I cant recall exactly. 

But it doesn't bother me, I find it all entertaining. Any game forum these days has its toxic people and nice people. There will always be that mix. As soon as you see certain screen-names you're like "Oh here we go, popcorn out!" (not just this forum, but other game forums too). 

Edited by ThrottleUp
Spellings

disrespecting everyone is a given admin birth right here on avsim embeded in their TOS, which they are very proud of btw and use often to let everyone know how little they care, even 20 year + donors have to walk on eggshells, this culture is by now embedded in their mantra and dictated first by the admins approach which than pulls out the worst in people, it’s a looped chain reaction that will never end here,

Edited by iCann

What I dont undestand are all the opinion posts , such as  , Will I like it , do you liek it, will i regret buying it, is it fun .. Is the forum toxic,,,  I am like try and find out for yourself.

I think its a side effect of social media influenencers,, if these peopel dont have someone telling them what they should like or not they are pretty lost and dependednt on the opinions of strangers to make the most mundane choices,,  its pathetic,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, F737NG said:

There's a prevailing view that the typical Avsim forum member is a male 'Boomer', adds his full name to his profile, signs off every post with his first name, gets tetchy with people requesting help with frequently asked noob questions, thinks that 30+ years of flight simming makes their views unquestionable, and believes that hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars spent on add-ons is the only way to make the flight sim experience enjoyable.

As you have said " a lot of this is true"

As a "Boomer"  I can relate to much of this.  But in reality, is this generational difference simply a case of Boomers trying to maintain old world values in a reasonably determined manner, as opposed to the younger generations trying to impose their new world values, but doing it in a manner that can be screeching loud and oppressive for some.  There is no doubt that there are conservatives on both sides of the fence, but from my point of view, the non conservatives are very much louder with the younger team, than their Boomer equivalents. This may well be because they simply outnumber us and that is the impression that they impart generally.

In general though, it is my impression, that the boomers are more likely to accept and defend Asobo, whilst the non Boomers go on the attack more strongly and very much more quickly.  

There is a very old expression ... "Patience, age, experience and treachery will always overcome youth, exuberance and inexperience."   The new world order is rapidly proving this to be very untrue.

Life is good but there is a very good reason that the old timers tend to retreat into oblivion and tend to enjoy their life and its experiences in a much quieter environment. This simply makes the younger generation SEEM so much more overpowering and is reflecting changing world attitudes which are not being driven by the Boomers.

So, I would say a big NO in answer to the topics question and please bear in mind, that this response is just a small fraction of why I think this way. It is not a case of the older vs the younger but it could certainly be seen that way,

Tony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.