Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Heli pilots find strange monument in remote part of Utah

Huh.  Just looked at the linked map and realized I've been down that jeep trail several times and have been within a very shot distance of it.  It does not appear to be that far from the trail.

Scott

22 minutes ago, tttocs said:

Huh.  Just looked at the linked map and realized I've been down that jeep trail several times 

Scott

Oh, now have you then? What a coincidence. Clearly its you that put it there, it you that's the prankster. 😡

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

Klaatu barada nickto

One of my all time favourite movies. The original I mean, with Michael Rennie. Made 7 years before I was born, a true masterpiece. 

Enjoyed the remake too. 

You don't think our shiny object in the desert it actually "Gort" do you? Reduced to his most basic geometric form?  

Edited by martin-w

I'll never forget seeing that movie when it was first released. I was nine years old then (1951) and it scared the dickens out of me. I have it safely tucked away on my PC and I've watched it again many times since. One of my all-time favorites for sure. Gort was actually as big as he appeared in the movie. He was played by Lock Martin who was somewhere between 7' 1" and 7'7" depending on who you believe (he said he was 7'7" so I'll take his word for it).  For all you younger guys, the movie we're talking about is The Day The Earth Stood Still and it's available on Netflix (and other places). Slow day here today, maybe I'll fire it up again tonight.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Quote from the futurism article:

Officials are now calling for its removal as “it is illegal to install structures or art without authorization on federally managed public lands, no matter what planet you’re from,” according to the statement.

OOOOOHH.. I bet the aliens are quaking in their boots from such a threat! :biggrin:

• Like 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

23 hours ago, martin-w said:

Oh, now have you then? What a coincidence. Clearly its you that put it there, it you that's the prankster. 😡

Dang.  You got me!

Scott

On 11/26/2020 at 6:50 PM, W2DR said:

I'll never forget seeing that movie when it was first released. I was nine years old then (1951) and it scared the dickens out of me. I have it safely tucked away on my PC and I've watched it again many times since. One of my all-time favorites for sure. Gort was actually as big as he appeared in the movie. He was played by Lock Martin who was somewhere between 7' 1" and 7'7" depending on who you believe (he said he was 7'7" so I'll take his word for it).  For all you younger guys, the movie we're talking about is The Day The Earth Stood Still and it's available on Netflix (and other places). Slow day here today, maybe I'll fire it up again tonight.

Yeah its fantastic. Simple plot but well executed. The nice thing is that my 27 year old daughter tells me its one of her favourites now too.

Another one of my favorites is This Island Earth. And not to forget Forbidden Planet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Another one of my favorites is This Island Earth. And not to forget Forbidden Planet.

The invisible monster in "Forbidden Planet" gave me nightmares for years the first time I saw it back in the distant past when I was still an impressionable child... 👽

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

29 minutes ago, n4gix said:

The invisible monster in "Forbidden Planet" gave me nightmares for years the first time I saw it back in the distant past when I was still an impressionable child... 👽

Just saw Forbidden Planet about a week ago on Netflix.   Probably the 10th time,at least!  Leslie Nielsen, Warren Stevens and Jack Kelly were the inspiration for Gene Roddenberry for Captain Pike, The Doctor, and First officer of the Enterprise. Of course, Spock wasn't totally human.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

16 hours ago, n4gix said:

Scary indeed. Very well done. There was something about those 50's science fiction movies that fostered a feeling of impending doom. I think the music in Forbidden Planet had something to do with it.

Edited by martin-w

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

... and the Utah Monolith has been removed...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9005763/Mysterious-monolith-Utah-desert-removed-group-4-men-pushed-broke-up.html

Sorry for using the Daily Fail, but it was quick and dirty..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)