leprechaunlive

Carenado Waco

Ryan-

That's NOT why I fly the Waco 😉

THIS is why I fly the Waco

g3pwDOD.jpg

gTTse6g.jpg

cmAnhZ2.jpg

You can't see the $%i^ eating Grin on my face from this angle, but I promise... it's there!

... but I'll report back.

C

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 5

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

23 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Oh yeah we have a winner lol

I'll probably buy it.  Has anyone tried shooting an ILS?  Does the HSI show glide slope?

Someone reported issues with the HSI earlier in the thread.

I prefer the dark-blue version !

And i enjoy the fact, that the pilot-position is absolutely perfect for a track-IR-User.  Perfect view outside and VSI and altimeter in the field of view when looking forward.

HSI seemed to work for me. (Just tuned the ILS while doing VFR-Flights round Southampton.

This bird probably brings me to add a FFB-Stick as an alternative to my BFFSimulation-FFB-Yoke.  I had a 360°-grean on my face, when feeling the rumble in the yoke, after starting the engine, and, with yoke fully pulled during startup-run, this thing needs a lot of force to hold the tail down.

Trim is working fine for me, so i didn´t miss the AP during 60 minutes-flights. ( Having a steam-VSI visible at the lower part of the field of view is such a great advantage, compared to G1000-equipment... )

BTW: Is there a possibility, to switch the outside sound into the cockpit ? : Unrealistic but sooooo cool: Radials forever !! 

SloMo

hoping for the Beech18 as next Carenado-plane...

Edited by SloMo
Typos...
  • Like 1

@ryanbatcund

Ryan-

This was NOT a full analysis....only one check approach.

Flew an ILS (Yuck) into Prescott Love just for you.... HSI provided correct deviation indications, however, illustrated yet another example of lack of attention to detail.

This is what I have in the @Carenado Waco...

2izgERx.jpg

This is the traditional HSI aeroplane symbology I'm used to seeing...

K4iNzgk.jpg

Note the lowered positioning of the aeroplane on the @Carenado HSI, never seen that before...

Still, once they figure out what COG means, she will be delightful, and I hope NEVER to fly another ILS in her 🙂 

SuVduhK.jpg

Meanwhile I add a 400lbs pilot and baggage and cross my fingers on every TO 😉

C

Edited by cavaricooper

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Seems like putting 400 or 500 lbs in rear baggage compartment  while leaving all other station 0, makes take off more pleasant

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

This is a fun and challenging airplane for sure.

It is absolutely gorgeous. Perfect for low level VFR, looking around using the drone cam to look at the plane and landscape at the same time, love it. Very tricky to land and T/O, even in no x-wind.

I find that assigning rear wheel lock to a joystick button helps a lot. And only ¼ tanks of fuel, 75lbs in real luggage compartment 210lb pilot makes it easier as well. Wheel locked you can't turn at all slow taxiing but it helps ground roll on T/O, but I turn it off for landing. You really need to be ahead of this plane with the rudder.

I like the majestic rolls and loops you can perform, just be at least 3000 agl to start with. Inverted flight is fun as well, fuel injection is great for that.

I have no idea if Wacos are this tricky in real life, I have never piloted or flown one, but I have seen lots of them give scenic rides. In Fryeburg and Plumb Island as well as the defunct North Conway Airport. I have flown cubs and they are not that hard to handle.

All and all definitely worth $15.00. And very rewarding when you do a nice landing.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

32 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Seems like putting 400 or 500 lbs in rear baggage compartment  while leaving all other station 0, makes take off more pleasant

Apparently we've both chosen the same method- I just put an obese pilot in the seat... your method is probably better, George wouldn't pass a 3rd class at 400lbs 🙂

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

14 hours ago, SloMo said:

And i enjoy the fact, that the pilot-position is absolutely perfect for a track-IR-User.  Perfect view outside and VSI and altimeter in the field of view when looking forward.

What I love with trackir on the YMF-5 is the way you can move your head very very slightly to the left or right and poke your head out of the cockpit and look down the side of the aircraft to the front or even back over the tail 😄

zKrX591.jpg

V0OeNrm.jpg

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

And what what it wroth Waco does get affected by structural icing. Tested it today iced up and stalled 🙂

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Nice, shame Track-IR doesn't batter your view about when you come out of the shelter of the screen, if it did that, and there was a bit more vibration on the flying wires, it could almost be mistaken for real go-pro footage.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

36 minutes ago, Chock said:

Nice, shame Track-IR doesn't batter your view about when you come out of the shelter of the screen, if it did that, and there was a bit more vibration on the flying wires, it could almost be mistaken for real go-pro footage.

yeah, it would also be nice if there was a way to limit how far you can move so you do not end up going through the windscreen leaning forward  😄

This aircraft must be spectacular in VR mode.

just to say thanks to all you folks who have contributed to this thread. I'm no kind of pilot, real or even sim, and I wouldn't have had the slightest idea of some of the things suggested here for getting this off the ground smoothly. But now I have managed a few take-offs without any diversions via hangars, terminal buildings etc - magic!

This and the Staggerwing always were (still are) favourites for me in P3D and X-Plane. I'm hoping the Staggerwing will make it to MSFS as well.

I'm also quite impressed with Carenado for this one, in the sense that it's a good price, looks great and is certainly modelled well enough for the likes of me as far as flight goes. And being based on the Alabeo model (I assume) I don't have the problem I often found in P3D of having bought an aircraft from Carenado and then finding I can barely fly the thing, and of course, there's never any useful info from Carenado.

This is all getting quite exciting now, with the first signs of some good quality aircraft coming along.

(and really nice to see the real world videos of this beast - I'll be dedicating some time to look at those later)

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

I did buy this but I'm a little bummed...the repaints must be done the old fashioned way...  which I think is a good thing for people who want to do custom ones.  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

28 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I did buy this but I'm a little bummed...the repaints must be done the old fashioned way...  which I think is a good thing for people who want to do custom ones.  

There's more to life than painting aeroplanes Ryan. 🤪

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.