Sign in to follow this  
Scottoest

MSFS Crosses Two Million+ Players

9 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

How do you want me to respond to that?

What's your opinion about the Steam player count?

I’m not him, but I would say it’s impressive for such a niche genre.

It’s more than X-Plane 11 or FSX.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

The interesting and exciting thing for me was real time snow and ice coverage. 

Dan Scott

5 minutes ago, Janov said:

Well,

3 months ago an average weekday saw about 10.000 players.

2 months ago an average weekday saw about 6.000 players.

Initial figures included installation times, according to what I read 24 hrs and more for some folks, during which time they were counted as "using" MSFS.

But of course, some may have tried it once and found it's not for them. Happens with all games.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

11 minutes ago, Janov said:

1 month ago an average weekday saw about 5.500 players.

These days an average weekday has less than 5.000 players.

Does that look like "solid numbers" to you? 😉

Yes, because nearly every game has a lot of players in the first month or two, and then it drops off and settles around another lower level. That's completely normal. 

By "solid" I mean what the current number of players is compared to similar titles like space sims or race sims. Assetto Corsa, the most popular race sim on Steam, had around 4000 daily players the last 30 days, a little less than MFS. So yeah, my opinion is that the Steam player count for MFS looks solid. And I wouldn't say that's a very unreasonably optimistic assesment.

Edited by JacquesBrel
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

MS purchased the Minecraft studio and it has now hit 6 million active players world wide most in china.  

Minecraft has over 130 million monthly active users.  It's still the biggest game in the world.

2 minutes ago, pmb said:

Initial figures included installation times, according to what I read 24 hrs and more for some folks, during which time they were counted as "using" MSFS.

But of course, some may have tried it once and found it's not for them. Happens with all games.

Kind regards, Michael

Yes the same happened with FSX if you remember a lot went back to FS9 could not handle FSX performance with there PC.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

7 minutes ago, Janov said:

Well,

1 month ago an average weekday saw about 5.500 players.

These days an average weekday has less than 5.000 players.

Does that look like "solid numbers" to you? 😉

Cheers, Jan

That’s pretty common. When a new game is released, all the hype makes a lot of people download and play it for some time at the same time. After a while, some people move on. You will notice after every major update for MSFS the numbers have spiked.

That’s how it works with all games. When they are released some hype is created and the number will be higher than a few months later. The same happens when something new is released for those games.

What MS/Asobo needs to do is keep this hype for 10 years, with updates, and maybe plan a new development cycle after that, if things are working as intended.

Also those numbers are higher than X-plane 11 or FSX.

Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Well, for those that want to discuss this like normal people without resorting to name calling:

Yes, I think the user numbers for MSFS for a flight-simulator are quite good. It would be great to really see usage data for all the big entries in that market, including FSX, for example.

It is normal for any new game to drop in users after the initial hype, it will be interesting to see where MSFS stabilizes and if that level is "sufficient" for MSFS to continue funding and developing it.

I believe 4.000ish players per day would be plenty - I think that is about where the curve will bottom out with the advent of new aircraft and further updates.

Cheers, Jan

21 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

Minecraft has over 130 million monthly active users.  It's still the biggest game in the world.

Fortnite managed 15.2 million concurrent players during their last big event on December 2nd .

7 minutes ago, Janov said:

Well, for those that want to discuss this like normal people without resorting to name calling:

Yes, I think the user numbers for MSFS for a flight-simulator are quite good. It would be great to really see usage data for all the big entries in that market, including FSX, for example.

It is normal for any new game to drop in users after the initial hype, it will be interesting to see where MSFS stabilizes and if that level is "sufficient" for MSFS to continue funding and developing it.

I believe 4.000ish players per day would be plenty - I think that is about where the curve will bottom out with the advent of new aircraft and further updates.

Cheers, Jan

Apparently you don’t know how to read those numbers...

Steam numbers are the number of concurrent players at a given time, it’s not daily number of unique players.

Also you are not considering the MS Store numbers.

We already have the numbers for FSX and X-plane 11. MSFS have higher numbers. So?!

5 minutes ago, Janov said:

Cheers, Jan

There is opportunity to develop yet for another platform. You choose how to set tone of your posts. We are not in war of sim platform here.  To each their own..

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

8 minutes ago, Janov said:

Cheers, Jan

It isn't 4000 players "per day" - it's around 4500-5000 people playing CONCURRENTLY, on STEAM, on AVERAGE.  That's not a number of total players any given day, and as has already been pointed out, it's not factoring in anyone on Game Pass, or anyone who bought it via the Microsoft Store/Xbox app on PC.

The whole "oh me oh my, I'm just here to have a reasonable discussion about my concerns!" thing is old.  Your entrance into this thread was to say that someone who pointed out those numbers were fine, was essentially equivalent to spinning climate change data.

• Like 7

A few other Steam statistics to put the MFS player count in perspective:

DCS World: 900 daily concurrent players on Steam the past 30 days. https://steamcharts.com/app/223750
IL-2 Sturmovik: 330 daily players on Steam. https://steamcharts.com/app/307960

Like MFS, both of those titles have non-Steam versions that are distributed through the developer's own online store, so the Steam player count doesn't reflect the total player count.

Edited by JacquesBrel
  • Upvote 1

Can you all grannies stop arguing over the player count numbers and get excited about the incoming real time snow feature?

• Like 2