Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Just Flight Piper Arrow III Preview

10 hours ago, Romeo_Tango said:

Shouldn't the Gps be on the avionics bus, rather than be live when the master alone is on?

I have seen a couple of videos previewing this aircraft and both seem to have the GPS live as the master is turned on.

Cant remember seeing this either in  sim or real airplane. ...Just curious.

Still getting it regardless.

The GNS 530/430 has an on/off knob so the airplane does not necessarily need an avionics master. The question is if the on/off knob works on the Just Flight Arrow. It works on the MSFS default but not the Carenado aircraft. But they have at least an avionics master switch.

Having the GNS on during engine start would be quite bad for the immersion.  

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

3 hours ago, Tim-HH said:

The GNS 530/430 has an on/off knob so the airplane does not necessarily need an avionics master. The question is if the on/off knob works on the Just Flight Arrow. It works on the MSFS default but not the Carenado aircraft. But they have at least an avionics master switch.

Having the GNS on during engine start would be quite bad for the immersion.  

Strange, because the GPS on the Carenado Mooney is on the Avionics master which has it's own switch. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Strange, because the GPS on the Carenado Mooney is on the Avionics master which has it's own switch. 

Yes, but the dedicated on/off knob in the upper left of the GNS unit is not functional in the Mooney and Seminole. 

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

IRL GNS430/530 can be turn off on their own. Majority GNSs in Arrows I flew IRL were tied to master switch. Generally speaking one doesn't want to start engine with avionics  any running! So one switch to control them one is preferable. However, it depends on wiring and some thing can have individual switche and not connected to main bus

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Normally you'd want all that stuff off when cranking the engine. Anyway, here's a fun fact about the PA28 and the Mooney M20, for those who like a bit of history...

When Piper were looking to build an aeroplane which could rival the Cessna 172 for the training market, they initially studied the 172 and reckoned they could build something similar for about eight percent less than Cessna were doing, which of course is not hard to do since if you have an existing product to examine, you can always find something which could be improved or made a bit cheaper, and they were also able to look at their own Comanche and make something a bit less complex than that too.

Anyway, initially they looked at buying-in one of several designs for GA monoplanes which were kicking around, with a view to streamlining any such design they purchased, in order to hit that eight percent less production cost, so they could undercut Cessna and clean up in the trainer market and the lower end price range of four seat GA models. Piper were set on making a low-wing type, since these can incorporate the cabin floor with the wing to make the thing stronger with less parts, so one of the designs they were very much in favour of purchasing, was a low-wing four place aeroplane had been designed by Albert Mooney. Production of that aeroplane design by Mooney had been curtailed by the death of his main financial backer, and so he was prepared to talk to Piper, but the deal they offered was not to his liking and so Mooney declined and retained his design, whilst Piper went on to design their own aeroplane, which eventually turned out to be the Piper PA28 Cherokee, which of course evolved into the Arrow and a number of other variants.

Meanwhile, when Mooney's company was bailed out of financial trouble, his design was resurrected and put into production, to become the Mooney M20. So if things had gone a bit differently, the Piper PA28 model's outline could have actually looked pretty much like the Mooney M20.

• Like 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I’ve always been aware that avionics should be off until the engine is running but never knew exactly why...is it about low quality  power or surging power potentially getting to them and frying them if they are turned on during engine start?

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 minute ago, regis9 said:

I’ve always been aware that avionics should be off until the engine is running but never knew exactly why...is it about low quality  power or surging power potentially getting to them and frying them if they are turned on during engine start?

Yes there is possibility to fry electronic if overvoltage regulator fails. And yes seen it fried it IRL LOL

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

If the on off switch on the GPS unit works then I have no criticism; If it does not, I hope that the release version, is configured differently. (Pulling a circuit breaker is fine.

Not a big deal, but personally takes away from the emersion for me. (These nuances explain why I love A2A products so much)

• Like 1

Robin

I can't wait trying this aircraft!

One of my fav in XP11 in VR too.

13 hours ago, jpe828 said:

in the real airplane you pull the breaker.... but I don't know if the breakers are modelled or not in the sim

I believe these are well defined in the [ELECTRICAL] section in the systems.cfg file.

For example with default C152:

[ELECTRICAL]
bus.1 = Name:Main_BUS
bus.2 = Connections:bus.1#Name:Avionics_BUS
bus.3 = Name:Alternator_Bus
battery.1 = Connections:bus.1, bus.3#Capacity:13.6#Voltage:curve.1#Name:Main_Battery ; Main Battery
alternator.1 = Connections:bus.3#iEng:0#RatedVoltage:28#Load:curve.2#Name:Main_Alternator
curve.1 = 0:21, 0.1:22.5, 0.5:24, 0.9:25, 1:25.4 ; Battery voltage for capacity %
curve.2 = 0.08:0, 0.09:8, 0.15:52, 0.22:70 ; Load from RPM table
circuit.1 = Type:CIRCUIT_GENERAL_PANEL                #Connections:bus.1#            Power:0.5,1,20.0#            Name:General_Panel_Main ; General panel
circuit.2 = Type:CIRCUIT_STARTER                    #Connections:bus.1#            Power:2000, 3500, 20.0#        Name:Starter_1 ; Starter 3500W
circuit.3 = Type:CIRCUIT_FUEL_PUMP                    #Connections:bus.1#            Power:35, 48, 20.0#            Name:Fuel_Pump ; Fuel pump 24V DC @ 2A

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

4 minutes ago, RXP said:

I can't wait trying this aircraft!

One of my fav in XP11 in VR too.

I believe these are well defined in the [ELECTRICAL] section in the systems.cfg file.

For example with default C152:

Hide contents

[ELECTRICAL]
bus.1 = Name:Main_BUS
bus.2 = Connections:bus.1#Name:Avionics_BUS
bus.3 = Name:Alternator_Bus
battery.1 = Connections:bus.1, bus.3#Capacity:13.6#Voltage:curve.1#Name:Main_Battery ; Main Battery
alternator.1 = Connections:bus.3#iEng:0#RatedVoltage:28#Load:curve.2#Name:Main_Alternator
curve.1 = 0:21, 0.1:22.5, 0.5:24, 0.9:25, 1:25.4 ; Battery voltage for capacity %
curve.2 = 0.08:0, 0.09:8, 0.15:52, 0.22:70 ; Load from RPM table
circuit.1 = Type:CIRCUIT_GENERAL_PANEL                #Connections:bus.1#            Power:0.5,1,20.0#            Name:General_Panel_Main ; General panel
circuit.2 = Type:CIRCUIT_STARTER                    #Connections:bus.1#            Power:2000, 3500, 20.0#        Name:Starter_1 ; Starter 3500W
circuit.3 = Type:CIRCUIT_FUEL_PUMP                    #Connections:bus.1#            Power:35, 48, 20.0#            Name:Fuel_Pump ; Fuel pump 24V DC @ 2A

I'm not at the sim at the moment, so cant check. are you saying that the circuit breakers on the default C152 can be pulled?

Robin

I saw a video of the Just Flight Arrow last night and the GPS unit looked pretty small in that video. I think I might like the carenado Arrow which had a larger GPS screen. Am I wrong about this? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I saw a video of the Just Flight Arrow last night and the GPS unit looked pretty small in that video. I think I might like the carenado Arrow which had a larger GPS screen. Am I wrong about this? 

You get the option between an old Garmin unit, a 430, and a 530. You change it with the included tablet. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Romeo_Tango said:

I'm not at the sim at the moment, so cant check. are you saying that the circuit breakers on the default C152 can be pulled?

No, I'm saying FS2020 electrical system configuration file is now circuit breaker aware!

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

4 minutes ago, RXP said:

No, I'm saying FS2020 electrical system configuration file is now circuit breaker aware!

K. Thanks for that info. I guess what you are implying, is that a developer knowledgeable enough could take advantage of this to add a little deeper simulation than the default airplanes do. 

• Like 1

Robin

I wouldn't imply anything else than the clear categorization of circuits now in the electrical section (it might have been before but honestly I don't remember any prior FS2020). Now the question is whether FS2020 Gauges and Systems SDK based on antiquated FS5 area concepts and structures is even capable of letting 3rd parties exploiting this to some extent. But this is off topic and I don't want hijacking this discussion.

Edited by RXP