Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Fitzpatrick

add on scenery CTD bug introduced with prepatch changes

There is an issue Asobo are investigating where you will get CTDs trying to load anywhere near certain addon scenery if Bing downloads are enabled.  If it is scenery like Orbx Sydney it crashes as you approach the city in flight, if it is an addon airport (such as the freeware Rotorua) it crashes while loading there.

This seems to be a new bug introduced with the pre-patch changes made in preparation for the UK update and applies to marketplace scenery as well as items in the community folder.

The work around is turn off Bing downloads and delete the rolling cache.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bing-data-causing-crashes-with-add-on-airports-or-scenery/364649/14

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

An update from the MSFS thread:

It seems that there is a conflict between the add-on ground textures and the Bing files. If the addon has its own ground textures (cgl files) rename the .cgl files to .cglxxx, and the sceneries work fine with activated Bing data, only with the restriction that the ground textures are now the standard Bing textures.

• Like 1

Thx but is this really new? Hearing this now it seems to be a perfect explanation why I often got / sometimes still get CTDs already before WU3 when approaching EDDK, LSZH, EKCH or ENVA which are all 3PD scenery on my end. But anyway good they found that out and happy to wait for a fix for this then

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

10 minutes ago, DAD said:

Thx but is this really new? Hearing this now it seems to be a perfect explanation why I often got / sometimes still get CTDs already before WU3 when approaching EDDK, LSZH, EKCH or ENVA which are all 3PD scenery on my end. But anyway good they found that out and happy to wait for a fix for this then

I agree, and hopefully gives a reason  why i suddenly started getting so many CTD's  in the past week or so.

Edited by Car147
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Same for me lot of CTD since yesterday with third party addons even with Bingdata off!

CTD with Bing On is coming during scenery load

CTD with Bing Off is coming a few minutes after scenery load

Something is really broken

Jérôme Dietsch

Well, lots of 'word not allowed!'   Thanks for highlighting this Glenn.  I think the easiest thing for me to do is do a search for all the .cgl files and temporarily rename them to something like cglX so I can find them again afterwards. 

I take it the cgl's could also be in the Official folder as well as the Community folder.  So my first question is does it also affect the Asobo upgraded airports we download from the marketplace?

It's a shame this happens at the weekend again.  Another undocumented 'stealth' change without warning.  They shoot themselves in the foot so often, they are going to need a new set of feet!

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I got my first ever CTD in the sim yesterday as I landed at EDDK. This could be quite a wide spread problem.

• Like 1

Not looking good!  I just did a scan and it found thousands of .cgl files in my community folder, and I don't carry too much in there. 
Most of them relate to mappamundi's glitch fix for spikes, but also for things like the new boat pack for the Channel Islands, and my High Wycombe airfield add on.

So what are the consequences of turning off Bing data?  Default ground textures and no photogrammetry?

I just feel like leaving MSFS alone for a while until they fix this whole sorry mess.  Is Cyberpunk 2077 any good? :unsure:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

This is getting annoying for real, I mean it doesn't has be a habit on them to break things upon every release. What is worse, in a weekend, where I was looking forward to just fly after a hectic work week. It is frustrating Microsoft and Asobo, before you broke the terrain, we said yeah okay, but now this?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

This new bug is barely acceptable.
Most of 3PD airports are impacted.
Fortunately the Official content is OK.

Instead of renaming the .cgl file, I suggest renaming the CGL folder in each and every scenery where there is one.
It will be easier to pinpoint them later when Asobo will fix the problem.

• Like 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

27 minutes ago, David Roch said:

This new bug is barely acceptable.

Sorry but I don't think is barely acceptable, is not acceptable indeed. The sim now is CTD in almost every 3rd party airports, that makes it for me not acceptable

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

Excuse my ignorance, but why can they not just roll the sim back to when it was stable... surely they back up in case of something like this?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Ahhhh this explains my CTD’s! I thought it was because I started using VR, then I thought it was sim connect causing it. Now it seems as if it was my addon airport all along (ORBX EGNT). 

Why oh why are these things not picked up before they’re released? It’s astonishing really. 

• Like 5

I thought the beta test program was in place.  Are massive issues like this still being missed? 
I think they need to delay the Tuesday update; it makes me seriously pensive, and we still have no choice but to download it. 
Then again, with enforced and unannounced changes like this going on in the background, it wouldn't make any difference even if we had a choice to defer the updates.

• Like 2