Sign in to follow this  
Samaritano

PMDG 777-200ER Released

@OzWhitey 🤣👍

Ha 😉, all I was saying is it sort of feels familiar in the way it flies and it's been behaving, for me at least, in pitch. But I honestly don't know , you guys will know a lot more about it than me...I'm new to flying light twins, both in the sim and real world.🙂

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

18 minutes ago, jon b said:

@OzWhitey 🤣👍

Ha 😉, all I was saying is it sort of feels familiar in the way it flies and it's been behaving, for me at least, in pitch. But I honestly don't know , you guys will know a lot more about it than me...I'm new to flying light twins, both in the sim and real world.🙂

Maybe it behaves well on your end. But in RSR's latest update (06MAR21), he acknowledged there is work going on with the flight model.

We are currently at work with a number of technical experts to smooth out a few rough edges in the flight model that we think would benefit from additional attention. I expect that the next update *after* the one detailed above will focus primarily on flight model. It may also take one or two update rounds to implement the changes we are looking at- as they are extremely invasive and require quite a bit of testing to ensure that things pan out as desired.

Edited by SAS443

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

That's good to know then, that they're still improving it.

It's sometimes very difficult as " technical experts" working on these things to come to some sort of agreement in the way an aircraft flies. You're trying to transpose your real flying into being sat at a desk using flight simulator controls and it's not always easy to reach agreement with your fellow " experts" as everyone has different yokes or joysticks.

It's quite easy to agree something is just wrong, but a lot harder towards the end of the project to finally agree that something is just right. 

With the advent of VR I find it a lot easier to take sock of an aircrafts feel and handling as you really are sat in the thing flying it, rather than watching it more remotely on a monitor.

I'm confident then they will get the 777 feeling just right, but  for now, for me it makes a great platform to fly raw data ILS and circuits using the familiar Boeing PFD display.

I can say though from my time on type before it sadly just slips into a distant hazy memory, that they have pretty much nailed their current 747-400 flight modelling.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

14 minutes ago, jon b said:

I'm confident then they will get the 777 feeling just right, but  for now, for me it makes a great platform to fly raw data ILS and circuits using the familiar Boeing PFD display.

Oh, absolutely. Those are my favourite parts in P3D as well.
This is my first landing of the updated 777 recorded a few days ago

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Nice landing SAS443. I think my problem at first was that I had been flying the Maddog for a couple weeks before the T7 release. The MD80 is probably one of the least responsive jet liner due to it's dated technology and requires a good bit more muscle then a FBW bird resulting in my over controlling causing seeming twitchy  movements. I seem to be improving. Food for thought. She is a totally different airplane.

• Like 1

Vic green

2 hours ago, SAS443 said:

Maybe it behaves well on your end. But in RSR's latest update (06MAR21), he acknowledged there is work going on with the flight model.

SAS, I’m not really disagreeing with you here. It hand flies ok for me, but it may be that it doesn’t react realistically to your turbulence. I’ve read all the pmdg forum threads, so I’m aware that many people including some experts think it’s twitchy on the pitch axis. 

I know you’ve got a lot of flying time too, so I also take your opinion on board. Cheers!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

@SAS443

Raw data ILS 👍 very nicely done sir👍

Does the 777FCTM give the top tip of using the track line and keeping it within the heading bug ? That’s certainly how you were flying it , I’m just wondering as that tip was in the 747 FCTM but not everyone seemed to either know about it or use it in the real world. Which to be honest we only ever did raw data work in the sim, but using Boeing’s technique makes it easier.

787 captain.  

8 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

SAS, I’m not really disagreeing with you here. It hand flies ok for me, but it may be that it doesn’t react realistically to your turbulence. I’ve read all the pmdg forum threads, so I’m aware that many people including some experts think it’s twitchy on the pitch axis. 

I know you’ve got a lot of flying time too, so I also take your opinion on board. Cheers!

no offence taken 🙂

I recall when the 777 was released back in 2013, I used FSUIPC for everything, and that became hot garbage with the 777. So nowadays I assign axis via P3D internal and make use of Linda profiles for system specific actions.

I should reiterate that the 777 flew just fine in V4 on my end. It behaved to me like a regular aircraft. In v5, it feels like I have an invisible copilot who jerks the control column aft/forward at random. Even during a stable approach (tried with no wx, RealTurb disabled).

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

I just repurchased all T7 models as I was a late FSX convert. Needless to say I’m rather disappointed how this version even made it into a release candidate. 

Until this pitch/FBW issue is fixed, is there anything in the aircraft.cfg or FDE we could adjust ourselves, just so I don’t have to put all this money right into my hangar? I love this plane, I really do, but the unstable approach is a complete showstopper for me 😢

Cheers,

Pete

• Upvote 2

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

1 hour ago, jon b said:

@SAS443

Raw data ILS 👍 very nicely done sir👍

Does the 777FCTM give the top tip of using the track line and keeping it within the heading bug ? That’s certainly how you were flying it , I’m just wondering as that tip was in the 747 FCTM but not everyone seemed to either know about it or use it in the real world. Which to be honest we only ever did raw data work in the sim, but using Boeing’s technique makes it easier.

HDG bug aligned with rwy heading has been mandatory for me since reading DreamFleet 737-400 manual some 20 years ago. 💪 (wonder whatever happened to DF)

However, the best tool in any manual approach is for me, the FPV on the PFD. Instant feedback of your path and drift angle. For sure that must be useful on the line aswell?

Thanks for the kind words!

Cheers

Edited by SAS443

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

The raw data ILS on the 787 is done using the FPV on the HUD, it’s so easy it’s ridiculous.  You just put the FPV underneath the heading bug which appears on the horizon line once you’re on the LOC and it stays put. Then when you’re on the GS you keep the FPV vertically sat on the glide slope reference line.

However one day I suspect I might be asked to fly a raw data ILS on the PFD with no HUD, which is where practice on this 777 will come in handy.
Although as we speak reports are coming in of an update to the QW 787 with an improved PFD so off to check that out 😄

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Just noticed a lot of the liveries for the 777 in the operations centre are now GFO only. Anyone else seeing this? They were all available to download before. 

Edited by james42
spelling error

48 minutes ago, james42 said:

Just noticed a lot of the liveries for the 777 in the operations centre are now GFO only. Anyone else seeing this? They were all available to download before. 

Will have to check that next time. Maybe they are making it so that any liveries will require you to purchase GFO? If so, that will be a full stop for me.

Eric 

18 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Will have to check that next time. Maybe they are making it so that any liveries will require you to purchase GFO? If so, that will be a full stop for me.

That's what I'm thinking. I've spent $360 on all iterations of the 777 from PMDG and now I have to buy something else in order to have access to a few free liveries? Bit of a kick in the teeth if you ask me.    

49 minutes ago, B777ER said:

21 minutes ago, james42 said:

That's what I'm thinking. I've spent $360 on all iterations of the 777 from PMDG and now I have to buy something else in order to have access to a few free liveries? Bit of a kick in the teeth if you ask me.    

Beta tester for GFO here, this is not the case.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD