Sign in to follow this  
carlito777

Aerosoft CRJ released

So 3 out of 3 time APR mode didn't do a good job following ILS. But since I always fly those manually not a biggie for me

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

It is pretty eye candy, but can not be flown like you would the real thing. I've got a couple of thousand hours on the real ones myself, both 700s and 900s. In some senses it is better than the P3D version, in others it is a step back. Just on a single test flight I've noticed the following things;

I missed the overspeed red bar. Should drop to indicate flap speed limits. Was present in P3D.
LNAV is still messy from time to time (tried multiple times to create a direct and it kept inserting some imaginary waypoint before the point I wanted to go to, and drawing a line on the MFD to that point, while flying direct to the requested point, resulting in the plane being off track on the MFD and CDI on the PFD).
Speed transitions from IAS to Mach are still at wrong altitude. It kept switching between IAS and Mach mode at random as well and not respecting the Mach number I set manually.
Advisory VNAV seemed absolutely confused and useless (carried over from previous CRJ addons from AS)
Service ceiling listed as 43000ft? Should be 41000ft.

Haven't tried to see if nav-to-nav is finally properly implemented. Based on previous experiences I am not hopeful. It does look very pretty in the sim, and is a faithful graphical representation of the CRJ. If next flights go better I'll revise my opinion.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

So 3 out of 3 time APR mode didn't do a good job following ILS. But since I always fly those manually not a biggie for me

You really have to be a bit lowerer before intercept, that's the only way I made it work

A few other thoughts before bed tonight:

- The flight really was perfect, even ATC worked properly, it's like Asobo tuned them up knowing people would be flying the CRJ using ATC IFR lol

- Some dials on my GoFlight MCP PRO work using GFIT (HDG, VS, IAS/MACH), the rest do not.  Hopefully a profile in GFIT is possible.

- The only thing on my Logitech Switch Panel that works is the Gear Lever. 

- I think I had Simbrief pointed at the wrong folder for flight plan export/import...I'll try again tomorrow hopefully with the right folder this time.

- I saw three other CRJ's at SBA during my departure, good to see I had similar minded company 🙂

- I forgot what a handful the CRJ is compared to more automated airliners, particularly on a STAR with multiple stepped descents and speed restrictions (I flew SERFR4 into KSFO).  Gonna say I blew a few of my restrictions, lol (sorry ATC - it's my first day!)

- Hopefully some kind soul can come up with an Air Canada Express repaint...kind of a double sided incorrect aircraft for both the Jazz CRJ-900's and -200's 🙂

- I can't wait to take to the skies again in this tomorrow!

Edited by regis9
  • Like 4

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I've linked a video below to a RW type-rated CRJ pilot's first impressions that was recommended by someone earlier.

If you go to timestamp 04:27:30, again at 04:36:40 and once more (albeit gently) at 04:39:05, you can see the aeroplane go into a left bank followed by a correction to the right while in the cruise.
There's no pilot intervention, wind shift nor route waypoint in the FMC to force the aircraft into making that manoeuvre.

It's a minor point compared to APPR mode not working properly, but it would be an annoyance. Anyone else see this in their own flights?
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/951373424

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 minutes ago, F737NG said:

I've linked a video below to a RW type-rated CRJ pilot's first impressions that was recommended by someone earlier.

If you go to timestamp 04:27:30, again at 04:36:40 and once more (albeit gently) at 04:39:05, you can see the aeroplane go into a left bank followed by a correction to the right while in the cruise.
There's no pilot intervention, wind shift nor route waypoint in the FMC to force the aircraft into making that manoeuvre.

It's a minor point compared to APPR mode not working properly, but it would be an annoyance. Anyone else see this in their own flights?
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/951373424

I did a single flight and I had the same issues. LNAV is not great. I mean its the same thing as the P3D version. It completely overshoots any turn with more that 25/30° deviation.

It also wants to overcorrect a loot. When capturing the LOC I had to intervine with HDG

• Like 1

Cheers :)

N.-

4 minutes ago, Beagle12 said:

Thanks for that. Where are they located? Community folder ?

Read the product description

Cheers :)

N.-

38 minutes ago, bendead said:

You really have to be a bit lowerer before intercept, that's the only way I made it work

Yes  I intercepted underneath GS as I always do IRL. andIt followed for a little and then started deviated. Not sure what was wrong.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Question. I use the steam version and im pretty picky where i place my addons etc. So would i go for the Market place version or the Aerosoft store version?

Mike

Intel 12700k No over clocking 32GB G-Skill 3600 Ram MSI RTX3080

Just bought it direct from Aerosoft, installed it, and took a circuit around KORD. The plane flies like a dream. I think my MSFS days are about to increase ten fold.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 2

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Haven't read the manual yet, or even downloaded it to be honest lol. I'm just going off what I know about the real one. To test it out, I flew it to Paris from Manchester and didn't accelerate time at all.

Apart from the fact that I can't find the switch to turn on my chemtrails, or how to get to the rear gun turret, it's really very good. Loads up nearly as quick as other aeroplanes, gets decent frame rates, model is nice, sounds are good, cockpit functionality is very comprehensive with most things that you'd want to work functioning, the real thing's systems are well replicated. Saitek/Logitech hardware autopilot works with it for the most part.

The exterior is a bit too shiny. You never really see CRJs looking that shiny for real, the bare metal leading edge of them is kind of like the dull side of aluminium foil in real life and the paint on most of them is not glossy, it typically has a very dull satin/matt, as do most airliners. Dunno why developers and painters insist on making airliners shiny all the time, they rarely are unless its a brand new one. In fact some SAS and KLM airliners look like they've been towed out of a scrapyard to be honest.

It's a bit cack that it won't load a default plan, because sometimes I'm lazy and don't want to type one in lol, but in all seriousness, I think anything sold in the sim's market should be able to use the sim's functions and that includes its flight planner. But it's not really a big hassle to punch a flight plan in.

It captures the feel of the real thing pretty well, with its small cockpit and low stance. Spoiler lever click spot detection clashes with the CDU's lower right keypads necessitating you to shift the viewpoint, which is a bit annoying but does kind of get across the smallness of the real thing. It looks cack being pushed back by the default lifting tugs though, as I knew it would.

It hand-flies quite nicely, I was able to stick it right where I wanted to just off using the HGS in spite of a fairly hefty crosswind at Paris. so the entire test flight went off perfectly, no issues. It's better than preceding efforts at the CRJ by Aerosoft, but then again it bloody well should be given that they've had about four cracks at the thing now, and most of us have bought a few of them too. 🤣

Is it worth the cash? Yup, I reckon its pretty good value for what you get and it does show that you can have a pretty complicated airliner in MSFS, so at least hopefully other developers will stop crying about having to learn to make stuff for this sim and just get on with it.

r9w1iVb.png

iDhPHcj.png

9CbRtEV.png

d0BjQLA.png

a0Zwrqx.png

Wsjlnnp.png

Edited by Chock
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

20 minutes ago, Chock said:

The exterior is a bit too shiny. You never really see CRJs looking that shiny for real, the bare metal leading edge of them is kind of like the dull side of aluminium foil in real life and the paint on most of them is not glossy, it typically has a very dull satin/matt, as do most airliners.

Is it worth the cash? Yup, I reckon its pretty good value for what you get and it does show that you can have a pretty complicated airliner in MSFS, so at least hopefully other developers will stop crying about having to learn to make stuff for this sim and just get on with it.

Maybe one of the modders will make a "used" livery for this CRJ in the future.  So the exterior can be potentially fixed if the right modder comes along.

And I agree with you.  Aerosoft has shown you can make high fidelity airliners in MSFS (not to mention the FBW team is also showing high fidelity airliners are possible in MSFS). It's time for other 3rd party developers to step up their game and stop hoping Asobo will hand them everything on a silver platter.

My guess is, Aerosoft rewrote entirely new code for this CRJ, so that it conformed to the MSFS SDK standards.  Some of the other developers out there are still waiting for Asobo's SDK to automatically port their legacy code so they don't have to lift a finger on development.  I think the other developers need to be more flexible and consider rewriting a least some new code rather than waiting for Asobo to port everything 100%.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM