Sign in to follow this  
Gary1124

Which Version Is Best MSFS 2020?

Is it best to purchase MSFS 2020 straight up from MS or another retailer or is Steam okay? Disc or download better? 

Thanks

I bought it from Steam and I never regret it, if you read all the forums it seems like most people have had problems with MS.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

5 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I bought it from Steam and I never regret it, if you read all the forums it seems like most people have had problems with MS.

That's probably somewhat accurate ha.  I got from MS store and I'm not sure why...  Their entire ecosystem is quirky for updating etc.  I also use Steam for many other games...not sure why I didn't for this one.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I bought it from the MS Store cause I did NOT want the Steam version. If or when I have problems I don't want to have to worry about Steam. Plus I was wondering about purchases in the Market Place, which is where I plan on making all my purchases. Also, in the last Live Stream, they mentioned, mainly for X-Box owners, and I could be wrong about this. Since they own both that if you bought an item from the Market Place on PC or X-Box, you would have access to both and only buy it once. Also, that internet Play Anywhere stuff too. I just did not want a conflict. And of the few games, sim's, I have, they are on Steam. Didn't want all my eggs in one basket. If there was/is a problem I only look at MS/Asobo,

But that's just me! Main thing is you have a choice, and that's what people wanted, and got!

Edited by in2tech
  • Like 1

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

I bought from the MS Store, never had an issue with installation or updates. It's quite simple, go to the store, download the initilal 1gig or so, run sim, and boom ! the rest of the install starts/ completes.. go play!

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

The MS store version is better for developers, if you will ever develop stuff (at least to me). This is mainly due to the Steam version having some weird things you have to do in some cases in dev mode. For standard use, I prefer the MS version, but it doesn't really matter (I've run both).

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

YOur play on Steam or MS is the same. The only thing to be aware of on  Steam is to NOT  do the "verify files" thing. It will erase MSFS2020. I use steam, You can install it on any drive you wish (steam library), your community folder will be on the drive you installed the steam library, not on the C drive. (which can be helpful if you C drive is tight) 

Edited by jimcarrel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Another happy Steam user. Initally bought the MS Store version, had terrible trouble with it when I tried to install it (that was the pre-release version) to a drive different from C (details in an older thread). Never had an issue with the Steam version. You may also consider that the base files of the MS Store version go into access-restricted directories.

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I bought the MS Store version and have not had any issues with it. Mine is installed on a different drive without issues. As far as I know the default aircraft market place files are encryted in either version. MS does have some permissions issues with the default location of the community folder as by default it is stored in your Windows AppData but you can put the community folder somewhere else or get around the community folder issues entirely with products like addon linker.

Though to be honest my decision to go MS was more a political decision.  I have had long standing issues with Valve and the high handed way they do business and the toxic nature of their childish almost Apple like community. I only use Steam if I am forced to for particular games where they have a monopoly and it is unavailable elsewhere.

Ironically as it turned out the MSFS main forums have just as many toxic entitled posts and 14 year old brats mouthing off as Steam does, in fact the MSFS forums seem to be worse 😄

In the end it is the same game though ...

• MS install gets updates a fraction quicker than the steam version but only by a few hours
  • things like the community folder are not protected in steam and can be accessed easier if you have limited PC knowledge
Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

I went with Steam because since the beginning I’ve  had the perception through the forums I read that everything Microsoft around the sim (site, forum, shop), as the sim itself, was fragile and unstable. Like run by amateurs.  On the other hand, Steam is now an old house (everything is relative) and the largest game software distributor. 

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

7 hours ago, Car147 said:

I bought from the MS Store, never had an issue with installation or updates. It's quite simple, go to the store, download the initilal 1gig or so, run sim, and boom ! the rest of the install starts/ completes.. go play!

Same for me, never had install problems so far.. 

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer
  • Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

I just looked at the MSFS 2020 Steam page. In the extras toward the top where it says multiplayer, ingame purchases etc. it says at the bottom 

Requires xbox live account.

Does that mean that even though you buy it from Steam a live account is still need to download/install/ and or use the sim?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Gary1124 said:

Does that mean that even though you buy it from Steam a live account is still need to download/install/ and or use the sim?

Thanks

Yes. As it's stated, this is required for several features.

My gross impression - also from other threads/fora - is 50% vote for Steam and 50% for MS Store. So you have to decide yourself.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

11 minutes ago, Gary1124 said:

I just looked at the MSFS 2020 Steam page. In the extras toward the top where it says multiplayer, ingame purchases etc. it says at the bottom 

Requires xbox live account.

Thanks

yes, indeed