Sign in to follow this  
threebears

Is MSFS 2020 worth the hassle of a move from FSX-SE?

ultimately it's your decision but nothing else compares to the beauty and some realism of MFS as it stands today.  I own the steam premium version because I can actually find the game files. ;D

Edited by Isaiah53six

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

8 hours ago, Doug47 said:

I’m in the same boat. I can’t justify using MSSS until it moves on from being nothing more then a flying bing images app. The flight simulation part is sorely lacking and badly broken with no sign of it improving any time soon. 

That  is simply not true.. if you have the system that will run it, you will be in for a positive surprise. 😀

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 7

Bert

19 hours ago, Doug47 said:

Whats so horrible about it? That’s a very odd statement considering the flight dynamics of P3D and FSX are far superior to MSSS currently. ASOBO has a LOT of work to do to come anywhere close. 

I am a real world pilot as well as a long time simmer. The Mooney, the JF Arrow and the Seminole have pretty good flight dynamics, at least for me. But what do I know, I only have around 600 hours flying in RL... Flying in FSX and P3D is like flying over wallpaper, with printed and flattened scenery on it. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Knew I was hooked on MSFS after doing a flight from Frasca field to Willard Champaign Urbana with intermittent storms about.  Wet taxiway and runway to start with, then a quick hop dodging around clouds, isolated downpours and the light slanting in through the clouds.  

Had to weave on approach to avoid clouds and maintain VFR.  

No add-ons I've ever tried in P3D can pull that off.  What a fantastic way we've come from Sublogic FS2 on the C64.  Absolutely unbelievable.

(if you're a flight sim enthusiast, just go and buy it - MSFS that is....)

Edited by RobF2

It depends on your use case, I hardly touch it right now, waiting for some better airliners and IMO a better camera system. I literally cannot stand using the current camera system, it is terrible.

It's a good platform and I'm excited to see what add-ons come out for it. But for now I'll stick to P3D and X-Plane.

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Flying in FSX and P3D is like flying over wallpaper, with printed and flattened scenery on it. 

This is precisely how I feel about photo scenery , I have always disliked it. Avoided "orthos" like the plague in X-Plane 11. I was apprehensive about getting MSFS when I realized the entire game relies on photoscenery from Bing wrapped on a 1:1 globe. I took the plunge and this photoscenery sceptic was pleasantly surprised. Yes it doesn't hold up when flying low and slow but it still looks very impressive. Personally I do not like the photogrammetry and keep that turned off. Happy with how it all looks now.

MSFS with it's enumerated flaws is still miles ahead of every other civil flight sim (apples to apples) available today. In addition it will only get better - already exponentially better than it was on release with the regular technical and visual updates it has gotten.  

That said -if you have the disc space there's no reason to get rid of FSX - just keep it and run MSFS too. 

If I could I would have kept FSX because of what I have invested in it, but I had to make concessions when I replaced my old PC. 

If things hadn't gone pear shaped last year I would have not only kept FSX, but added P3D and MSFS, just to see what the differences are and to continue to enjoy the investments I've made to FSX. 

• Like 3

A final word on this: I have totally failed to buy a higher spec GPU from any normal source.  The word from a major supplier, where everything is marked  "Out of Stock" (and expected to be until next year!!) is that every high spec card is being hoovered up by bitcoin miners, and "scalpers" buying up to sell on at a vast mark-up.  Suppliers websites are even warning that there is no guarantee that an item selected for the shopping cart will still be there by the time you get to checkout. 

4 hours ago, threebears said:

A final word on this: I have totally failed to buy a higher spec GPU from any normal source.  The word from a major supplier, where everything is marked  "Out of Stock" (and expected to be until next year!!) is that every high spec card is being hoovered up by bitcoin miners, and "scalpers" buying up to sell on at a vast mark-up.  Suppliers websites are even warning that there is no guarantee that an item selected for the shopping cart will still be there by the time you get to checkout. 

If you think everything is going to return to "normal" next years, I wish you luck. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 5/28/2021 at 7:47 AM, threebears said:

I'm at my twice yearly "shall I shan't I?" over moving from FSX-SE to another platform.  Having been put off P3D by issues I'm prevented from mentioning (LOL) I now am reconsidering MSFS 2020.  Everywhere I look there are complaints about failures to install, CTDs, bugs and so on.  I have 38mb/s broadband, and i7 quadcore CPU, 20MB RAM, a GTX1050ti GPU with 4MB memory and a newly installed 250MB SSD - all of which ought to be good enough (I think).

I'm going to lose quite a lot of paid-for FSX-SE add-ons (mostly P3D compatible) but is MSFS2020 now stable enough, and reliable enough to install, to make it worthwhile?  I'd rather not use Steam again, but should I go for disk or download?

Without a doubt its worth it

8 hours ago, threebears said:

Most of us, refusing to buckle to scalpers, share you pain.  Personally flying GA in true real time, and often IFR.....  Well, you likely know what sim I am flying most often.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

If you have to ask the question that way  then I would say no, not worth the hassle.   Stay with what you got.

Regards

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Hey threebears, you should definitely do the $1 game pass trial and see what your performance is like.  I'd be willing to wager you'll manage "high" (not ultra) settings for most things and frame rates will exceed P3D/FSX significantly with eye candy you won't believe.  

I'm on a quad core I7 (4770) but with 1660Ti graphics card.  Fully expected to have to upgrade, but you may find you can put if off almost indefinitely if pleased with performance during trial period.

I actually bought version 5 of SimulatorNotAllowed but switching to MSFS was a game changer for me. It's like a living, breathing world. 

4 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

If you have to ask the question that way  then I would say no, not worth the hassle.   Stay with what you got.

Regards

bs

Hi BS, I'm not sure what way I should have asked the question.  By framing it broadly I got useful advice from people who use a wide range of equipment, and with experience of various SIM platforms.