Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Future of MSFS? Commercial market or combat flight sim?

23 hours ago, TASCHMANN said:

I wonder if, by "year 9" or so, they will have located someone who can code a simple autopilot for GA planes.

I just consider that sort of a benchmark in deciding what is a flight simulator versus what is a groping attempt to impersonate one.

If you can't even get the basics right, you'll never have much to work with -- no matter how pretty it becomes.

Supposedly,  Asobo is working with the Working Title GPS mod team and plan to incorporate their work into the sim sometime in the future.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tweekz said:

I was thinking about exactly the same. In certain train simulators devs spend time recreating the environment. In MSFS you'd just need to add detail along the way. It'd be a great idea. Imagine driving to the airport with the train while seeing others on approach. 🙂

That's my vision also. A big Simulation MMO, with multiple transportion modals working together. It's nice to think a truck on the road has actually another real user controlling it.

• Like 2

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

44 minutes ago, conundrum said:

If you want to have a playable combat system, as opposed to a slide show (if even that), “limited map sizes” are what you have to accept. I don’t like “limited map sizes” either, but I don’t think Blackshark/Azure or whatever can overcome that.

I have no idea what you mean by “slide shows.”  The MSFS engine runs quite smooth and at decent FPS, even with mediocre graphics cards.

I also have no idea what you mean by “overcome.”  The entire world is already modeled by MSFS using the Blackshark AI technology.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Let me explain why I thought a MS combat sim would be neat 🙂 

I bought and tried IL2 products - and as you fly you dont feel like your flying like in flightsimulator - you feel like your in slow motion or something - its strange and annoying - ALL SET

As for DCS I never tried it - that said if I remember correctly the MS combat sim felt like flying similar to a flight simulator - carry on 🙂 

Rich Sennett

1 hour ago, ca_metal said:

That's my vision also. A big Simulation MMO, with multiple transportion modals working together. It's nice to think a truck on the road has actually another real user controlling it.

MSFS would certainly offer a lot of opportunities. But it would also be a lot of work. Just look at the behavior of the traffic right now. 😄

On the other hand, this certainly could be marketed as a full-price payware DLC like a game. With addons for its own.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

46 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

I have no idea what you mean by “slide shows.”  The MSFS engine runs quite smooth and at decent FPS, even with mediocre graphics cards.

I also have no idea what you mean by “overcome.”  The entire world is already modeled by MSFS using the Blackshark AI technology.

Combat is not modelled. If you really think they could add that and still have an acceptable user experience, I don’t know what else to tell you. But I think you do know what I mean.

It takes like 5 years for a company to develop a study level modern combat air plane on DCS, there is no way this will happen for MSFS. As for arcade like combat - I don't think so either. Asobo and/or Microsoft clearly seem to promote the peaceful-discovery-oneworld-agenda; I don't think they want to have missile-firing Superhornets flying across the screen on some guy's peaceful Oregon tour.

Maybe as a separate game, okay, but I think DCS and the arcade-stuff cover that niche. We will have some pretty basic F16s and F22s for 15$, like we already have, to fly around the scenery, but that will most probably be all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

I don't think they want to have missile-firing Superhornets flying across the screen on some guy's peaceful Oregon tour.

This may or may not happen in real life, I cannot see why it would appear out of place in any flight sim platform.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

One facet of il-2 Battle of Stalingrad (also called BoX by its followers), another really ripping great and currently developed CFS, are using its scripted missions for both single player and online multiplayer, which are created using its missions editor (I written a few myself).  I can't imagine a CFS that'd be worth my time that does not have such combat specific mission capabilities, and I seriously doubt that MSFS would ever (or even could) go to the depths that BoX does in this regards.  Sure, it's fun to shoot something down or blow it up flying an aircraft, but that capability alone gets old really fast IMO.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

DCS is light years ahead in the aircraft complexity, and simulation. It takes years to develop one aircraft, as all the systems work, and i mean all.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

DCS also just added cloud effects that look word not allowed near identical to MSFS's. I wonder if they're based off the same tech.

10 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

DCS also just added cloud effects that look word not allowed near identical to MSFS's. I wonder if they're based off the same tech.

I wouldn’t go that far. I fired up DCS for the first time in ages at the weekend to check out a few of the updates, and although the clouds are wonderful compared to previous, they’re quite limited compared to MSFS. 

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

3 hours ago, Richard Sennett said:

I bought and tried IL2 products - and as you fly you dont feel like your flying like in flightsimulator - you feel like your in slow motion or something - its strange and annoying - ALL SET

The current IL2 "pay-per-aircraft" simulation is only vaguely related to IL2 Sturmovich and Cliffs of Dover. 

Whilst now dated, they were cutting edge in flight modelling back in the day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The current IL2 "pay-per-aircraft" simulation is only vaguely related to IL2 Sturmovich and Cliffs of Dover. 

Whilst now dated, they were cutting edge in flight modelling back in the day. 

Glen do they make a version where you actually feel like your flying ? IL2 Sturmovich and Cliffs of Dover did not IMO

Rich Sennett

It's a DLC releasing in November, coordinated with a movie release. Nothing more, nothing less.