Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

Robert at PMDG on SU5 performance.

It probably wouldn't be that hard for MS to make some GUI sliders for LOD on the PC version, and possibly include them on the XBox version too at the risk of people tanking their FPS if they used them if they insisted on one build, after all, they do already have two different versions of the thing in their Steam version and the MS Store version, so it's not beyond the realms of the do-able and hopefully we may see that or something like it, even if it is a TPD patch by some modder, which let's face it, has already been the saviour on a couple of occasions for some other ropey feature-breaking updates from Asobo.

But whatever occurs, I think what people have to accept is that there quite probably wouldn't have been a Steam or MS Store version at all if the XBox release hadn't been part of the plan, so to complain about tweaks which are there as a result of that plan is like going out in the rain and then being surprised that you got a bit damp.

But jeez, the amount of 'woe is me' wailing and throwing toys out of prams that's going on over this patch for a toy aeroplane game, is preposterous. Seriously, if you look up 'first world problem' on Google, it should have a link to some of the recent threads on Avsim.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, devgrp said:

Well thats easy to explain. The constant bickering from the "elites" about LOD, popins and redraw. Its funny because in the FB groups with well over 30k plus members and I dont see anyone really talking about redraw and LOD. These guys actually stay in the VC and fly instead on jumping around looking for issues to complain about.

My colors are washed out, my colors are over saturated, my lod is too small, I cant see clearly at 18k ft etc

Nailed it 😄 😄 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chock said:

For literally years, people complained about MS not making a flight sim which used modern hardware and which didn't get good frame rates whilst looking good, and then when they go and do precisely that, and then make it run even better as well, people complain about them having done so. You couldn't make this s*** up.

No, it is not about that, at least not for me. As I said, I was perfectly happy with the performance pre-SU5, there was no need for the PC simming community to implement this aggressive culling to gain fabolous amounts of FPS. Why, it was good the way it was and already provided heaps more FPS and better visuals compared to any other currently available zivil flight sim. People with older or less powerful rigs could achieve good FPS by lowering some settings that did not even had a huge impact on visual fidelity. 

And you are also wrong regarding the need of adaptations for XBOX. There is no need to do such, simply check out GTA and RDR2, titles that only really shine on PC due to increased view distance, better texturing, ray tracing and all the stuff you dont even get on the console versions of the same game. Even your COD example is by far better looking with highest settings on PC compared to the console version. So no, it was absolutely not obvious that the announced release on XBOX automatically results in adaptations of the PC version, this was just a decision of MS/Asobo and for sure we as PC users can (and should) complain about this. 

Regarding the "kiddie": I am not referring to everyone without high end rig, only those complaining about stuff because they want to run "ultra 4K" although their rig is not capable of. But I am aware that this is a today's issue, everybody always wants to have everything, but ideally it should be for free and if you feel somehow being disadvantaged, you complain. I remember those days when I was still at University without money to spend for a proper simming rig, I did simply accept that with the hardware I can buy, I wont be able to run everything on max. I still had fun flying around, no? I also do not have the money to spend for a Lamborghini, should I now complain that my SEAT can not drive 200+ mph? I guess no, I get what I pay for, end of the story. 

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

8 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

Reading all of these stuff I have come to the conclusion that some just don't get it. MS is in the business of making money, not in the business of making most of the complainers here happy. Asobo did what it had to to in order to comply with the xbox release deadline, period, and they did. 

No they didn't, people can state this over and over again. This was not necessary to conform the XBOX. If you go into a developer forum, this non-technical perspective will get blown down in seconds and it will be 100% ignored.

Do you mean like when they updated the Terrain and instead of copying the old backup files, they left artifacts everywhere, and then third-party developers issued fixes for the terrain issue by using ASOBO's own backup files?

Did Asobo also just update the terrain because they had to, no... They made a mistake, people will defend anything no matter how careless or wreckless it is. This is just as wreckless, actually more wreckless than that update, it's just your not seeing all the issues yet, don't worry, they'll come to light here and there.

Developers are already doing similar things, experimenting with pre-update files trying to get a workaround to the SDK issues, this is armageddon part 2, not oh we accomplished what we set out to do with this XBOX update.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

26 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

My guess is PMDG may be rethinking the idea of a 737 for MSFS.

LOL, really, PMDG is also in the business of making money. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

3 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

I don’t doubt that you are having this issue. Others have reported it as well, and even PMDG have acknowledged it, but for whatever reason, on my particular installation, there is absolutely zero difference in the VC of the DC-6 SU4 vs. SU5. I have a set of 9 pre-set camera views that I use when flying, and there is no difference whatsoever.

FWIW, I have a 1080Ti GPU (11GB) running the 471.22 drivers, 4K monitor, render scaling at 70, and the two LOD sliders at 140. 

How about posting a photo of your panel at the same distance?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, CarlosF said:

LOL, really, PMDG is also in the business of making money. 

But I don't think they are in the business of making a product, selling it, and then having to repair it every month. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

8 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

I don’t doubt that you are having this issue. Others have reported it as well, and even PMDG have acknowledged it, but for whatever reason, on my particular installation, there is absolutely zero difference in the VC of the DC-6 SU4 vs. SU5. I have a set of 9 pre-set camera views that I use when flying, and there is no difference whatsoever.

FWIW, I have a 1080Ti GPU (11GB) running the 471.22 drivers, 4K monitor, render scaling at 70, and the two LOD sliders at 140. 

I did a flight last night in the DC-6 I did not see any diffrence but I thought after reading Bob comments I must have been blind.

8 minutes ago, Chock said:

But jeez, the amount of 'woe is me' wailing and throwing toys out of prams that's going on over this patch for a toy aeroplane game, is preposterous. Seriously, if you look up 'first world problem' on Google, it should have a link to some of the recent threads on Avsim.

Ive never seen it this bad before.

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

How about posting a photo of your panel at the same distance?

I will tonight Bob if I get the chance. Just so we can both see the same thing or not?

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

But I don't think they are in the business of making a product, selling it, and then having to repair it every month

Welcome to the world of business, it is what it is, either you adapt or get out of business.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 minute ago, AnkH said:

No, it is not about that, at least not for me. As I said, I was perfectly happy with the performance pre-SU5, there was no need for the PC simming community to implement this aggressive culling to gain fabolous amounts of FPS. , end of the story. 

You say, because YOU didn't need it, the "PC simming community" didn't need it. Why do you think you are representative for the "PC simming community"? Me, e.g. being part of that, I certainly needed that.

Sure, I could have set everything to "low" and wonder why I didn't stay with P3D, but why wouldn't I keep the stunning ultra visuals AND have great performance (50 to 100% FPS increase on my side)? Tell me why? What did I lose, that was not worth that gain?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chock said:

Some people make their living doing it (not me), but it's upsetting to me because I took a 3 month break and my timing in coming back was just really bad (the worst). So it's more like the reaction someone might get if Amazon just announced third-party sales are not allowed anymore on Amazon, it's their bank accounts.

LOL, people are so much more upset in the other forums than here. They don't express their discourse HERE because they know their will be too many naysayers saying the opposite, but in the dev forums no one is EVEN questioning the disaster this update was.

Luckily, I'm not in that position, but many are. If you think I'm being a bit off the hook, ok maybe, but so be it...

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

29 minutes ago, captain420 said:

For me personally, this update has been the best so far. I don't think they "dumbed" down this version only to get it running smoothly for consoles and users with older hardware. I for one have a pretty decent system built mainly for MSFS and I can say I'm very pleased with SU5. I'm getting way better performance, things are silky smooth. I don't really experience those pop-in issues. I use TrackIR as well, and the visuals have been improved as well. I don't really have much of an issue with LOD, since I just set them to 400 in the config file. It's really hard to please everyone, now that Xbox is coming into play. I also agree that they need to make the PC version more configurable, since the PC is not a console and there are so many different variables when it comes to a computer. Not everyone has the same exact hardware, setup, etc vs an Xbox where the playing field is much alike. This is why I think the PC version needs more options/sliders to allow the simmer to decide what's best for them.

Same and I usually whine a lot. There are bugs in the release for sure, I have two tickets submitted already, but nothing that would make me want to cry about it, it's more of an annoyance than anything else.

• Like 2

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

13 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Yes they will surely rethink the idea of earning a fortune for their product that is almost done after 2 years of work.

Lmao.

Thank you for that reply. It was perfect. Amazing some of the people on this forum.

• Like 2

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

1 minute ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Some people make their living doing it (not me), but it's upsetting to me because I took a 3 month break and my timing in coming back was just really bad (the worst). So it's more like the reaction someone might get if Amazon just announced third-party sales are not allowed anymore on Amazon, it's their bank accounts.

LOL, people are so much far more upset in the other forums than here. They don't express their discourse because they know their will be too many naysayers saying the opposite, but in the dev forums no one is EVEN questioning the disaster this update was.

Luckily, I'm not in that position, but many are. If you think I'm being a bit off the hook, ok maybe, but so be it...

I love the posts that say,  "Well I think it is a good update, the clouds look funny now, I have a CTD every other flight, I see scenery popping in, textures don't look as sharp,  but I get 5 more FPS so I am happy".....😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I know that for pete's sake, the point is I didn't have to do that before SU5...  Cheeze......

Can you show me a picture fully zoom in please? 

Thanks,

Simbol