Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

Update is live

First glance of Berner Oberland is perfect. Quiet some terrain morphing though, but way better than with the addons so far. Funny though that live weather results in snow depiction above 1500m, which is just plain wrong...

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Ok think I figured out what the issue was vsync was off before now it seems it likes it on - also if you are using vsyn for the heck of it set FPS to 20 seems to clean up the textures - yes weird but cant hurt to try

Digging this update reflections on aircraft seem to be nicer

Rich Sennett

3 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

They're not forcing you to, you can update without it.

XBox is the name of their entire gaming division, not just the console. The App is used for PC games on PC.

Rarely, if ever, would I feel the need to contradict you, but on this occasion I do. I tried all the suggestions people were posting to trigger the update and only starting the XBox app did it. So yes, some users are forced to use it if they want the update process to begin. Maybe it's just this once or maybe everyone (with the MS version, rather than Steam) will eventually have to use it, who knows?

Edited by 109Sqn
typo
  • Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

4 hours ago, roi1862 said:

Yep. Same cycle here... opening MSFS, mandatory update, nothing in MS store

Me too. Several attempts, and several re-boots. I guess I'll just have to wait till tomorrow, probably. But this is a bit of a brain-dead update process. Still, that's Microsoft for you. Old dogs, new tricks etc.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

2 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Me too. Several attempts, and several re-boots. I guess I'll just have to wait till tomorrow, probably. But this is a bit of a brain-dead update process. Still, that's Microsoft for you. Old dogs, new tricks etc.

Did you start "XBox App" before checking for updates?

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

7 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Did you start "XBox App" before checking for updates?

Xbox App? I would use the apparently offensive initials here, but I've been caught like that before. Exactly what is this and how does it relate to this update proicess - I've never seen this mentioned before?

Edited by andy1252
sp

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

I think Ill take a break from seemingly constantly telling people to start the XBox App before looking for the update and actually take a short flight in the newly updated region! It took just short of a full hour of downloading/installing for me at around 34 Mb/s.

After that, I can start preparing my new, and faulty, Honeycomb Bravo for return to Box. Hope they replace rather than repair, assuming I get a new once, not 'refreshed'.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Rarely, if ever, would I feel the need to contradict you, but on this occasion I do. I tried all the suggestions people were posting to trigger the update and only starting the XBox app did it. So yes, some users are forced to use it if they want the update process to begin. Maybe it's just this once or maybe everyone (with the MS version, rather than Steam) will eventually have to use it, who knows?

But really, what is the big deal, even if it becomes a necessary step?  You run an extra app.  They need to be better about explaining their process, but if its working then use it.

This community thinks nothing of running a whole host of extra apps for the sim, from navigation charting, to interface protocols for their custom built cockpits, etc. Its part of the deal.

I think the only issue in some people's minds may be that the app is called "xbox" and they cant get over anything that sounds like they are part of the "gaming" world.  If it bothers you that much, just pretend the app is called the "X-RayBravoOscarX-Ray" App.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, andy1252 said:

Xbox App? I would use the apparently offensive initials here, but I've been caught like that before. Exactly what is this and how does it relate to this update proicess - I've never seen this mentioned before?

Have you read this thread? It's been mentioned about a dozen times here alone!😁

MS Store, search for "XBox App" (not XBox Game Bar or anything else named XBox). Install and run, and check for updates in MS Store whilst it's still running. You may even already have the app, but if not, follow those instructions. It is not for XBox only, put for PC games too.

• Like 2

Thank goodness for this forum!  Never had a problem with an update before, but this time nothing happened until I installed the Xbox app.  Would have never known to do it otherwise. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

But really, what is the big deal, even if it becomes a necessary step?  You run an extra app.

Opening MS Store worked before. Why add another step? Simple.

5 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

I assume you purchased MSFS from the Microsoft Store. Let me spare you some time.  There is some bug with the WU6 that requires the X-Box app to be installed in order for the Microsoft Store to show the update for MSFS.  If you don't install the X-Box app, you may never see the update for MSFS in the Microsoft Store.

This bug had already affected some people in SU5 but it was not widespread.  For WU6, this bug became widespread.  I doubt Asobo/Microsoft intended for us to install the X-Box app just to see the update for MSFS in the Microsoft Store.  However, somehow, they missed this in their testing and the result is, a lot of people that purchased MSFS in the Microsoft Store simply won't see the update for MSFS unless they install the X-Box app.

Maybe Asobo/Microsoft will fix this in the next few days if you don't want to install the X-Box app.  Until then, many of us have installed the X-Box app, we have gotten the update from the Microsoft Store, and we are flying now.

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

6 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Opening MS Store worked before. Why add another step? Simple.

They said they're having a general issue with the Marketplace, not just MSFS related.  Sounds like its a temporary thing and the xbox app requirement is just a workaround for now.

But even if they chose to require the Xbox app in the future (who knows maybe if Microsoft across the board chooses consolidates their update process, for example), then so be it.  Doesn't imply anything with regards to the operation (or sophistication) of the sim itself.  I can still remember people moaning when they had to open Windows to install software and not use the MSDOS prompt 😉. (yes I'm old)

Edited by VFXSimmer
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

But really, what is the big deal, even if it becomes a necessary step?  You run an extra app.

For good reasons, 453 of them being bad experiences, seasoned flight simmers are trying to keep their expensive rigs bought exclusively for flightsim(s) mean and clean.  Forcing everyone to a completely unrelated app that wasn't necessary before and that doesn't add anything to the FS experience, but installs yet another autostart process and service that doesn't add anything to the experience either just doesn't jive well with those people, no matter if this actually makes a difference or not.

But these people are very obviously not the target audience of MS/Asobo, no matter how often they claim the opposite. 

• Like 2

Just now, VFXSimmer said:

Sounds like its a temporary thing and the xbox app requirement is just a workaround for now.

And if that proves to be the case, that's fine (as long as they fix it fast). Equally, if they bypass the need to use MS Store to start the update, that's fine too. Either way, it should only need one app to start the update process. In fact, it should really be triggered as soon as you click the shortcut to start MSFS, seeing as it's a mandatory update. Hopefully somebody at Asobo or Microsoft figures that out one day!🤔