Sign in to follow this  
Gilandred

Is it time to Outsource Weather Integration?

To me it seems that Asobo are trying to reinvent the wheel with their weather engine. Apparently they didn't even look at the features HIFI ActiveSky provides for the other sim since years. It was most remarkable when they revealed recently they didn't even now something like historic weather exists in other sims and started a survey why that could be important for some users.

When I look at the weather in SU7 I feel moved back in time ten to fifteen years when we had all these exact issues in FSX/P3D. ActiveSky has solved all these issues over time. If Asobo had done some homework and looked at the development of weather engines for flightsims in the last years they would have known the most critical issues a weather engine based on METARs has to face. They would have checked exactly the issues we see now and would never have released this Beta version of a weather engine in a mandatory update.

Obviously they could need some help.

• Like 3

I have already said in another Topic that I expected nothing from this update. Not only I have nothing and in addition it is worse.

The weather visual looks like ... i don't know what to say exactly ... I don't have the words....

15 hours of test and it's the same weather scenario 95% of cases for each flight.

How can they release an update in this state without even realizing it. That's what bothers me the most.

What lack of respect compared to all the support we give them.

Such a waste.

• Like 2

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Just landed at EDDB, and for the fourth time out of the last 4 landings on the ILS, I had to fly through a cloud at around 200 feet AGL prior to touchdown. 

These clouds at ground level are no doubt due to Climate Change. 🙂

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

How one of the best features of the sim could be stripped out and replaced with something of FSX quality is really mind boggling.  I hope that the bugs get fixed soon at least, but better yet would be to just revert back to the old system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gilandred said:

Jorg realized a few months ago that Asobo was in over their heads when it came to flight planning/navigation systems.  Enter Working Title to get things sorted for Microsoft.  I dare say we are now there with how weather is integrated into the sim.  My understanding is that Meteoblue only feeds the raw data, but it is up to Asobo to integrate this data into the game.

Proper weather integration I’m sure is complex and difficult, but SU7 has highlighted an almost comical regression of arguably one of the two marquee aspects of MSFS - weather, with the other being Bing satellite imagery.

For SU7 we have clouds that are too low (msl vs asl issue), instantaneous weather transitions, no overcast (stratus) cloud decks anymore, incorrect surface winds (magnetic vs true readings), and possibly others.  How this was green lighted to go live is beyond me.  I think it’s time Jorg considers bringing in another contractor who better understands the fundamentals of weather and can deliver the results that we are all looking for, similar to what was done with flight planning/navigation and Working Title.  In fact, even if Matt (WT) knew nothing about weather I’d still have more confidence in him than what we have now.

Perhaps I’m overreacting, but these bugs are so obvious that I got to believe something is seriously wrong with the development process as it currently stands.

If Asobo would bring HiFi to work in collaboration, it would be brilliant. But they refuse, likely because they signed a deal with Meteoblue. HiFi has years and years experience with this and Meteoblue/Asobo doesn't and it clearly shows. Pity that as far as weather in the Sim goes, the professionals are sidelined and we must deal with amateurs. 

Edited by B777ER
  • Like 3

Eric 

If I were MS or ASOBO I'd ignore this thread .  lol

bs

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

14 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

If I were MS or ASOBO I'd ignore this thread .  lol

bs

Yeah, just like they ignored doing their due diligence of testing the updates they put out. 

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

3 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Yeah, just like they ignored doing their due diligence of testing the updates they put out. 

Definitely speculation and likely untrue.

MSFS weather is the best evolving simulated aviation weather 👌 

Not there yet however still 8 years to go.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

2 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

Speculation? You do know the closed beta test was straight up cancelled, right?

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

Not there yet however still 8 years to go.

Cheers

bs

So why did they fire the beta testers two weeks before they released SU7 with all it's bugs???  Waiting for answer........

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

It absolutely was, before SU7. The problem is the latest update was a massive step backwards making the weather system worse than what currently exists in P3D with ActiveSky and it seems they didn't even notice it.

I hope they get back on track (at least by reverting to the previous system) rather in 8 days than in 8 years.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RALF9636 said:

It absolutely was, before SU7. The problem is the latest update was a massive step backwards making the weather worse than what currently exists in P3D with ActiveSky and it seems they didn't even notice it.

It is getting me used to flying final approaches through a cloud at 300 feet AGL...

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, RALF9636 said:

It absolutely was, before SU7. The problem is the latest update was a massive step backwards making the weather worse than what currently exists in P3D with ActiveSky and it seems they didn't even notice it.

Fear not as Seb said this is a first attempt.

We are building this thing so let's no muck it up.

bs

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

So why did they fire the beta testers two weeks before they released SU7 with all it's bugs???  Waiting for answer........

Not enough time Jorge said.  Hotfix coming?

bs