Sign in to follow this  
styckx

I'm so exhausted of this sim

Since MSFS came out I have only had to do a full reinstall once when all that nonsense with GamingServices was going on.. And that included Win10 as well which was done remotely by a MS customer assistant.  Now I need to hold onto a piece of wood.....

Too many layers upon layers of DRM and dependencies...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Just a note.  Some people have recommended backing up the Community folder etc.  Either this, or use of the superb Addon linker is good.

However, I followed the instructions for the beta, and even though it accepted my current install on the F drive when I pointed the update to it, and I was back up and running within minutes, it still took out my WpSystem folder and over-wrote it with new files.  This is undocumented as far as I can see.

The effect is that it wipes your user config file, and any custom camera positions you have set for any aircraft, so they all have to be set up again.  It also set up a cache file that I didn't want, so I deleted it again.  I only noticed it when one of my disks showed as red in windows explorer due to lack of space.

So basically, if anything like this could affect you, back up your WpSystem folder as well.  In can be in various places, so you will need to search for it.
Mine was about 80Mb and it was in the root of my F drive (F drive for my MSFS installation), but I have seen an empty ghost folder on my C drive when doing a search to see if I could recover my files, so maybe it was there once.

PS.  I had no luck trying to recover my files off the disk using a program called 'Recova'.  It found them, but said they were encrypted and couldn't be recovered - strange! 
If anyone has any comment on this, please chip in.

So you lost your install, am shocked mate as you went to great lenghts to not have a problem. So glad I did not need to use that beta. Sorry to hear🤥

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

12 hours ago, styckx said:

This is exhausting. Why do all flight sims have to be a full time job?

A question I have asked myself many times. It can be very frustrating. 

Be careful voicing your anoyance though. Some on flightsim forums seem to think doing so justifies replying with  personal insult and bad manners.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

12 hours ago, styckx said:

After suffering from the dreaded random uninstall and getting the courage to reinstall. I can't even do that.  The installer randomly gets locked up on the uncompressing stage.  Numerous times I check up on it and see it's stuck uncompressing.

Back to the OP - here are some suggestions you can try to get the packages to restart:

All versions - Packages installation and decompressing issues - The download is stuck on small files/packages – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

All versions - Packages installation and decompressing issues - The download seems stuck on "big files" – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

There really is a need to streamline and debug the entire install / update process...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

So you lost your install, am shocked mate as you went to great lenghts to not have a problem. So glad I did not need to use that beta. Sorry to hear🤥

Well yes, I lost all of my settings for the install at least, even after following the instructions.  It was like a different sim first time in!  :laugh:

Some of the stuff was easy as I remembered the settings (user config etc.), but It will take me some time to reset all of my custom camera positions in each plane - I will have to do it as I go - frustrating. 

Some controllers have had to be reset / actions re-assigned.  Luckily I got it to recognise the main bulk of the community / official folder files by redirecting it, otherwise it would have been a 3-day reinstall over the internet for me at the speeds I have.  I haven't tried any of my Orbx airports yet, but I may have to get Orbx Central to verify the files and their location. (Shocked to see I have about 20 already! :blink:)

I had to do this after a similar trauma early last year - it's all time wasted in the evening when I could be in the sim itself - they are precious hours in the evening straight after work.

As soon as I have built my new 12900k PC built (this weekend hopefully now I have all of the bits), I am installing DCS and all the addons I bought in the Christmas sale, to give that a go alongside MSFS - looking forward to it!  :smile:  

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

7 hours ago, rka said:

Just take a break.

That's not going to work like you think. I took a 6 month break only to find an update that wanted me to download 110 GIGs. I decided that it would be best to just re-install only to find that after a clean install of win 10, MSFS wanted to install to drive C instead of D. I also noticed very slow downloads speeds. I stopped the download process and now I'm seriously considering not bothering with this sim and I'm hoping for a class action lawsuit to recover my loss.

Edited by DJJose
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

9 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

t could be beacuse of the user that is sitting in front of your monitor.

Can you help me out? Do you know the meaning of "Klugscheißer" in english?
thx

• Like 3

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

only to find that after a clean install of win 10, MSFS wanted to install to drive C instead of D.

so it forced you to install to drive C, it would under no circumstance allow you to choose any other drive D,E,F instead, contrary to what they recommend on zendesk? 

the path to your MSFS installation can be changed by the user in a file "usercgf.opt" on your C drive, before you re-install MSFS:

Where can I find the UserCFG?

\Users\(replace with your user name here)\ AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

check the very last line, in my case it looks like this:

}
InstalledPackagesPath "D:\fs2020"

Edited by turbomax
this is friendlier than my original reply :-)

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

19 minutes ago, turbomax said:

so it forced you to install to drive C, it would under no circumstance allow you to choose any other drive D,E,F instead, contrary to what they recommend on zendesk? that is pure pc installation dictatorship. how dare they, all fs users, unite! down with MSFS install dictatorship! let's install wherever we want, just like zendesk suggested. what a wonderful sim this would be.

Having fun?

This is something that would never happened to you because you are so smart and I dont know anything about computers or flight sims. But, I hope you don't mind if I share my experience. When I came back after 6 months, I thought I could choose to install the updates in drive D, but the program would not allow me to update to the original folder and location. Hence why I had to start from scratch. Then when asked where to install MSFS, I chose drive D and when the update screen came up it installed to drive C.

As I stated, this is probably not going to happen to anyone here at AVSIM. It only happened to me because I don't have a clue of what I'm doing.

Thanks for reading.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

14 hours ago, styckx said:

After suffering from the dreaded random uninstall and getting the courage to reinstall. I can't even do that.  The installer randomly gets locked up on the uncompressing stage.  Numerous times I check up on it and see it's stuck uncompressing. How does something so great on one end, suck so bad on the other.  

...I don't have *any* weirdo, incompetent software developer issues with Digital Combat Simulator, nor with IL-2 Sturmovik! 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MDFlier said:

I always thought that this was a load of you know what. If your OC is stable, everything should run fine (on paper).... I think it is good advice now.

Precisely this.   I've seen more than one person on these and other fora over the years swear they had a "rock solid" overclock and blame crashes on the software, but when they finally swallowed their pride and took away the OC the crashes went away too.   The fact is this:  flight sims tax hardware in a way that most other games, and even many synthetic stress testers, don't.   The older of those among us may even remember back to the early days of home computing when being able to run Microsoft Flight Sim was the acid test of "PC compatibility" in PC clones (along with Lotus 1-2-3).  Combine this with the very nature of an overclock being to remove all the overhead that engineers put into your system for the sake of safety, and it shouldn't be any wonder that it can make PCs fall over when other things don't.

Yes, yes, I hear some of you.   YOU overclock and YOUR system is fine and it's never been a problem for you.   That's great, I'm sure it's true, and I'm thrilled for you!  😄 Doesn't mean it's not a problem for others, and that we shouldn't cast a dubious eye on anyone with an OC who has crashing problems, no matter how much they insist their OC is stable.

Edited by DeepestRed
  • Upvote 1

The people's flag is deepest red.

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

Then when asked where to install MSFS, I chose drive D

Out of interest, in Windows Settings>System>Storage>Change where new content is saved, what drive do you have selected for "New Apps Will Save To:"? If that is at the default C drive, maybe that was the issue, not that you shouldn't be able to override that when using a program with an user-controlled installer.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

15 hours ago, styckx said:

P3D was closest to this for me, because P3D with all of the addons for scenery, airports, utilities, weather, and updates for all with each sim version update did make it far more maintenance intensive.  MSFS has been an absolute breeze by comparison and that despite 3 total reinstalls, the first of which had to do w/ Process Lasso's intolerance of MSFS at one point which fooled me into reinstalling MSFS when all that I needed to do was stop letting Process Lasso launch with Windows.  The 2nd was secondary to reinstalling Win 10,.  And the 3rd was my failure to follow directions as a beta tester in how to avoid the uninstall/reinstall.  All three were simple largely one-click passive installs took time but almost no interaction.  I couldn't cope P3D anymore not worth it because of what is required to make it worth using.  And I use the MS Store install routine.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

Having fun?

This is something that would never happened to you because you are so smart and I dont know anything about computers or flight sims. But, I hope you don't mind if I share my experience. When I came back after 6 months, I thought I could choose to install the updates in drive D, but the program would not allow me to update to the original folder and location. Hence why I had to start from scratch. Then when asked where to install MSFS, I chose drive D and when the update screen came up it installed to drive C.

As I stated, this is probably not going to happen to anyone here at AVSIM. It only happened to me because I don't have a clue of what I'm doing.

Thanks for reading.

Hello there,

It's actually easy to do, just bring up your Windows settings, system---Storage, here change the drive letter below

“New apps will save to:”

That will give you the choice during the install process.

Take care

Mick

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Well yes, I lost all of my settings for the install at least, even after following the instructions.  It was like a different sim first time in!  :laugh:

Some of the stuff was easy as I remembered the settings (user config etc.), but It will take me some time to reset all of my custom camera positions in each plane - I will have to do it as I go - frustrating. 

Some controllers have had to be reset / actions re-assigned.  Luckily I got it to recognise the main bulk of the community / official folder files by redirecting it, otherwise it would have been a 3-day reinstall over the internet for me at the speeds I have.  I haven't tried any of my Orbx airports yet, but I may have to get Orbx Central to verify the files and their location. (Shocked to see I have about 20 already! :blink:)

I had to do this after a similar trauma early last year - it's all time wasted in the evening when I could be in the sim itself - they are precious hours in the evening straight after work.

As soon as I have built my new 12900k PC built (this weekend hopefully now I have all of the bits), I am installing DCS and all the addons I bought in the Christmas sale, to give that a go alongside MSFS - looking forward to it!  :smile:  

If that happen to you, then that beta could of got the better of anyone. Sorry to hear.

I really hope the build goes well with no more dramas 😡. DCS will run like a dream just remember to look at them setting I sent you. I hope you enjoy DCS and all the new chalangers it will bring, its a huge learning cureve but a huge reward in how you feel when you work it all out.

All the best

Dave.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip