Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Is ORBX FTX Global needed with P3D v5?

I see something similar in terms of colouring - here's EGLL (Aerosoft):

FTX Global Enabled

yGaUcn2.png

FTX Global Disabled

v5jhCdF.png

Real colour difference - OpenLC Europe is uninstalled in both cases.

Silly question probably.What is the best way to uninstall OpenLC Europe or Global for that matter?

I have tried via Orbx Central but ended up with P3D complaining of scenery.cfg errors. (Resolved by deleting and letting it rebuild0.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

@IanHarrison, I just used the uninstall option in ORBX Central. It should remove the relevant entries in scenery.cfg.

Did you install inside P3D or externally? I don’t have OpenLC.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have encountered also some issues when uninstall Europe LC and Base via ORBX center. I had to delete the terrain.cfg file in P3D  and do the resync via ORBX center.

After that all looked proper. 

But I did find the base textured blend better. Especially the snow is white again, instead of brownish yellowish and the PBR blends better. But, I didn't like the repetitive base textured seen from higher levels and the overall more fade Bright green, mustard brown textured at all. So I installed base and Europe LC again

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

For those using FTX Global you might find this discussion interesting 

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/212716-p3d-v53hf2-ftx-global-uninstalled-but-no-difference-in-looks/#comment-1799908

I hope I’m not going mad but I’m sure there was an uninstall option available for FTX Global when I logged in this morning.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just to confirm for those considering uninstalling FTX Global be aware that command on Orbx Central doesn’t work. That’s when installed into the P3D environment. I don’t know what the situation is if you install outside P3D.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

25 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Just to confirm for those considering uninstalling FTX Global be aware that command on Orbx Central doesn’t work. That’s when installed into the P3D environment. I don’t know what the situation is if you install outside P3D.

The FTX global uninstall feature in Central worked for me with ORBX library outside the sim folder. 

• Upvote 1

Vic green

51 minutes ago, Patco Lch said:

The FTX global uninstall feature in Central worked for me with ORBX library outside the sim folder. 

So why on earth don’t Orbx explain this when you install it? Unbelievable.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Who's willing to do us some screenshot comparisons in Asia, Middle East (e.g. Oman), Himalayas, Russia etc.?  (I say hoping someone is less lazy than myself...can't be bothered with un/reinstalling etc.)

I do think FTX Global made a huge difference in FSX-P4D but might be interesting to investigate whether the benefit is still there?

3 hours ago, VHOJT said:

Who's willing to do us some screenshot comparisons in Asia, Middle East (e.g. Oman), Himalayas, Russia etc.?  (I say hoping someone is less lazy than myself...can't be bothered with un/reinstalling etc.)

If you are more specific on a few airports i can take some screenshots

So, I am currently flying in P3D 99% of the time as I am doing an 80 leg world tour in a variety of Boeing and Airbus jets (something I have never done before) and I have a renewed interest in P3D. 

I am also up for some experimentation and based on the results of this thread I have removed Vector - experiencing framerate improvement and no degradation of visual quality. Also, the Flight Planner is a lot faster - if I imported SimBrief flight plans into it before, Vector sometimes caused 5 minute delays etc - those are all gone. 

I have NEVER installed Orbx products into P3D direct, I have always used the Orbx Library. What is the consensus? If I untick the addon in the Add-Ons menu of P3D, does it give me default textures? Or do I need to uninstall via Orbx Central? Cause an outside library installation doesn't actually overwrite anything in P3D directory, does it? Also... since the OpenLC products state that the Global BASE is a pre-requisite, I assume if I get rid of Orbx Global BASE, I will also have to uninstall the LC products. I don't think REGIONS have that BASE requirement though. 

I DO know that the Orbx Trees HD and TerraFlora are a MUST still - the default trees may be PBR, but they don't look as good, I don't think. Does anyone know if Orbx Buildings are still needed? I believe they replaced them with PBR right? Has anyone experimented with getting rid of Buildings?

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That´s exactly why I posted this! I had ORBX Base and LC installed on a different drive outside P3D Root in a additional ORBX library. Hitting the "Uninstall" button in ORBX central did something, but not what the button says....it simply did NOT uninstalled it. 

So I flew around an took screenshot to compare and where amazed that it looks so "equal", except the colors where more bright (maybe placebo, did not compared the exact locations etc.).

So I went to my P3D location and deleted the Terrain.cfg file. After doing some reorginazing of ORBX products I saw the difference very well. LM base is more brown, repetative and not so detailed looking as ORBX base.

I was a bit shocked what (not) happened on my end when hitting thr ORBX Central Uninstall button at Base and LC.

Regards

MArcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

9 hours ago, Patco Lch said:

Are you 100% sure? Because it did not for me.

Hitting uininstall did LOOK LIKE it worked. But it didn´t. I had ORBX Global Base and LC installed outside the Sim Root Folder and on a different drive.

I came across this as soon as I decided to delete the  terrain.cfg  file located here:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

Also I went to the installation location and deleted the XML´s and ORBX Base and LC folders manually.

After deleting this, I opened ORBX, went to "Help" and "Sync the simulator".

Start P3D and see the difference. Now you will see the base textures very well. Very good noticeable in the ALPS area. 

So I am really not sure if you had uninstalled it really. It´s not an offend here, just to make sure you did the thing you had expected to would happen. 😉 

Regards

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Be aware that in this reply Nick did not differentiate between FTX Global being installed inside or outside P3D.

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/212716-p3d-v53hf2-ftx-global-uninstalled-but-no-difference-in-looks/

As I understand it when you install FTX Global using either method the default textures are overwritten and running the Uninstall option in ORBX Central will not restore them. You need to secure them yourself although interestingly no mention is made of exactly which files need backing up.

I find the lack of any warnings about this very concerning.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Some orbx airports still need to have at least FTX Global installed to appear correctly....

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS