Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

Switching from P3D—what do I need?

4 minutes ago, Fatback said:

Thx everyone. This will be much easier, and cheaper, than I thought. 

Also I recommend to add the no handlebar mod (available for free at fs.to) to get rid of the „far cry“ style menu bar

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

It can be easy or it can be fun adding mods or payware.

Freeware that's almost required lol

Working Title CJ4.

Working Title G1000 NXi (in the sims marketplace for free)

Working Title G3000 

Payware planes: Just Flight Turbo Arrow. PMDG dc6, SWS Kodiak, Flysimware C414 (with TDS GTN Xi - similar to rxp/flight1 in p3d), the Carenado stuff is ok - their D17S staggerwing for 15 bucks is decent in marketplace.  I like their C337 as well.

And then go to www.flightsim.to and check all the freeware lol!

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

38 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Well....yes it can....and you don’t need ‘ultra fast’ internet...

Theoretically no, you don’t. But with many enforced updates comprising many gigabytes you’ll save yourself a considerable amount of time if you have.

I don’t have MSFS but in the course of my duties monitoring this forum I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen messages of despair about the length of time an update is going to take.

So I stand by my recommendation that a very fast download speed will save anyone a lot of teeth-gnashing.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don’t have MSFS 

So I stand by my recommendation 

🙃

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Theoretically no, you don’t. But with many enforced updates comprising many gigabytes you’ll save yourself a considerable amount of time if you have.

I don’t have MSFS but in the course of my duties monitoring this forum I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen messages of despair about the length of time an update is going to take.

So I stand by my recommendation that a very fast download speed will save anyone a lot of teeth-gnashing.

as I've recently found out, no matter how fast of a connection you have, it mostly depends on what download server you get connected to. I was downloading fresh install of MSFS at 3MB/s, connected to UK VPN, resumed the download and was suddenly downloading at 25MB/s.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fatback said:

There are some good aircraft otw so I’m getting ready to move over. Guess I’ll need to buy a weather engine and some airports. How about mesh and other scenery addons? 

Firstly, get it out of you brain that you *need* to buy anything--this is legacy behavior coming from the other sims that demand much better than default.  You don't need a weather engine the existing one beats anything there is and continues to improve.  It is critical to appreciate MSFS does continue to improve and will likely continue that trajectory.  Mesh is not need.  Other scenery addons?  Fly a while and decide what you really need default airports in MSFS are vastly superior to the absolute garbage in P3D.   I'm a 30y vet of FSX/P3D and have purchased all of 6 airports and I fly all over the world.   Some of the default aircraft are fabulous to get you acquainted w/ MSFS, then look to new planes coming to meet your deeper needs.

• Like 6

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

30 minutes ago, Kerrow42 said:

as I've recently found out, no matter how fast of a connection you have, it mostly depends on what download server you get connected to. I was downloading fresh install of MSFS at 3MB/s, connected to UK VPN, resumed the download and was suddenly downloading at 25MB/s.

The OP has not said what connection speed his modem is capable of. If it has copper at any point between his modem and the exchange his download speed is limited.

Whatever the MSFS servers are capable of supplying he is still limited by his local infrastructure.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Fatback said:

This will be much easier, and cheaper, than I thought. 

Ahh, love the optimism    My credit card company disagrees though 😂

Turns out I've spent more on addons for this sim than FSX and xp11 combined....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Moose said:

Ahh, love the optimism    My credit card company disagrees though 😂

Turns out I've spent more on addons for this sim than FSX and xp11 combined....

When you spend money on a hobby well,,,

ns

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Yep, only not nearly as long as it will take you to download and install P3D + Orbx Regionals & Global + Vector + ActiveSky + all of your aircraft and all of your airports.  And if you're a TrueEarther, well then all the more.  The *special* thing about MSFS is that the reinstall requires almost not user input--it just takes as long as it takes based on your effective download bandwidth.   Very broadband is very widespread now at least in the US and probably better in Europe and 1st world Asia.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Fatback said:

There are some good aircraft otw so I’m getting ready to move over. Guess I’ll need to buy a weather engine and some airports. How about mesh and other scenery addons? 

What do you need?  A credit card and a lot less number of opinions and advice until you provide more about how and where you fly.  And just to make a point, my favorite restaurant is likely not going to be your favorite.....   

Weather is by belliwick and as much as I complained about the MSFS default weather, after I believe it was sim update 5 (SU5) it has measurably improved - where I fly!  I observed that there were regional differences over the first 12 months.  Not sure about now, but I maintain REX Weather Force, which I relied on back before SU5.

I just counted.  I have purchased 24 paid airport addons for MSFS.  I just determined that I have flown into and out of only 11 of those, and have overflown another 8, albeit at general aviation altitudes of from 4,000 AGL to 14,000 AGL.  Enough said.  I have over 230 freeware airport addons and have flown into and subsequently out of around 68 of them.  Hope that provides a perspective.

Payware airports do not disappear from purchase sites.  So I am remiss at purchasing so many that I was not yet using as destinations....

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

The only absolute must have is Addon Linker an essential tool.

A lot of people swear by Little Nav Map though personally I do not use it.

If you are likely to fly a variety of aircraft types in random countries, consider the premium/deluxe version of the base game.  Even if you only regularly use a handful of the airports and a couple of the addon aircraft the premium/deluxe package works out a bargain on a per aircraft/airfield basis.

The Reno addon pack is worth considering apparently though I do not own it myself.

The consensus on best civilian 3rd party aircraft, these are all well regarded and worth buying:

• Simworks Quest Kodiak
  • PMDG DC6  (closest to "study level" in the current game)
  • Wing 42 Bleriot XI 
  • Aerosoft CRJ  (disclaimer it does have issues with some NAV functionality)
  • Just Flight Warrior II (most immersive GA in the game)
  • Just Flight Turbo Arrow III/IV
  • Milviz PC6
Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 3