Sign in to follow this  
Frag

Anyone tried the mod to use google map instead of Bing?

What @Bobsk8 said. It seems like every 2nd or 3rd CTD report I read is someone who HAD that google mod, deleted it, but some "rest" was left and that lead to CTDs. Not worth the hassle IMO.

• Like 1

At some cases its simply a game changer, nothing less. Beside the fact that in some areas the Bing maps Asobo is using is ancient, there could simply be a big cloud captured with the image or the generic textures of the poor attempt of Asobo to mask it. This mod can simply turn you experience into 100 times better.

Be aware that Asobo dont use even the latest Bing data which this program allows you too.  

• Like 1

Roi Ben

Stopped using it, was having obvious scenery load in distance. Not tried last few version, maybe it’s improved.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

I'm pretty sure the mod can't cause CTD's.  It only tells MSFS to load tiles from a different https address.  You can do this in any browser.

The CTD's would occur with or without it IMO.

sp

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Stopped using it, was having obvious scenery load in distance. Not tried last few version, maybe it’s improved.

I'd be curious to see if this was fixed as well.  That was the only thing keeping me from using it.  I hated seeing tiles pop up in the distance

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

IMHO, if you want to have a stable sim, forget about using this mod.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

2 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Nice statement but can you supply proof or is this just opinion?  No CTD's here ever.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, edpatino said:

I wouldn't even call it a mod: nothing is running inside the game. How can it make it unstable when it's just downloading the same tiles from a different server?

A.

• Like 1

So e.g., I did some tests now, in GCXO in browser Google Maps around GCXO Tenerife North there are astonishing 3d buildings, with this app inside FS20 only in 2d, is it ok? or I am wrong and doing something wrong?

I have a degree in Cartography and had to find relief from the disgusting Bing tiles in the Pacific NW.  Remember that satellite imagery can be taken in many situations, snow, rain with or without clouds at different times of the year ecetera.  What baffles me is why MSFS must use the worst of the breed in the Pacific North West - the home of Bill Gates.  Go figure.

sp

• Upvote 1

I keep reading issues with blurries, using this google mod. No thanks! Blurries give me horrible flashbacks of FSX.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

10 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

I keep reading issues with blurries, using this google mod. No thanks! Blurries give me horrible flashbacks of FSX.

Except it's not true.  Think of it this way.  Would you rather load tiles of inferior quality from overloaded servers with millions of users or load more natural looking tiles from servers with perhaps thousands of users?

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dazzlercee23 said:

I liked it, but cannot unsee the Google water marks in each tile image.

Never seen them.  Use ArcGIS.  Much better IMO.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

2 hours ago, peloto said:

So e.g., I did some tests now, in GCXO in browser Google Maps around GCXO Tenerife North there are astonishing 3d buildings, with this app inside FS20 only in 2d, is it ok? or I am wrong and doing something wrong?

This mod doesn't create the "Google version" of photogrammetry. All it does is replace the ground textures that are drawn on top of the terrain mesh. Everything that goes on top of that, all buildings, objects, etc., still come from the sim itself.

• Upvote 1