Sign in to follow this  
JETSET843D

EGCC Runway designator changes - how can FSX be changed?

All,Manchester airport, England (EGCC) has recently changed its runway designations. 06L/R is now 05L/R and 24L/R is now 23L/R.I've used AFCAD to change the FS9 scenery but there isn't a AFCAD program for FSX.This highlights a problem where the default FS data is time locked with no opportunity for it to be updated.It would be very helpful to the FS community if Microsoft and Jepperson could provide updates to the FSX product so that the default scenery isn't time locked for the next 3 years. I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount for such updates.No doubt there will many other runway changes in the next three years as well as new VORs, NDBs etc. and it would be helpful if FSX could stay in sync with the real-world changes.NavData is a subscription service so something from Microsoft would I'm sure be welcomed.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You night be right that there is a market for updates. In this case, you might check out SDE at fsdeveloper.com to handle this type of job.scott s..

Scott,That site appears to be aimed at scenery designers. Unfortunately I don't have the time or knowledge to learn how to use what is presumably a commercial product.Added to that is the problem of knowing what airports have changed since FSX was launched. I'm only aware of EGCC as it's my local airport and I happened by chance to come across a discussion about the runway changes.I know the ACES team still read these pages so if they feel it's technically possible and commercially viable to provide for example twice-yearly updates a comment from them would be appreciated.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi RayOver in Rochdale here Ray and didnt didnt know about the runway changes. Juist thought I'd say hello from another simmer in the NW of England!RegardsPaul EGCC

Regards

Paul EGCC

Hi Paul,It happened around the 6th apparently. If you have the UK2000 package for Manchester they have a fix out to show the new runway designators. It's available here http://www.uk2000scenery.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1174.0I'm the other side of Manchester in Cheadle Hulme. :-wave

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi RayYeah I do have that scenery but I have just switched over to FSX, only last Sat actually, so I am will have to wait now until Machester Xtreme version comes out sometime this year. ( Looking forward to that one!}Anyway back to my my LevelD 767 and FSX....it is a fantastic Sim but it needs plenty of hosepower for sure.RegardsPaul EGCC

Regards

Paul EGCC

Hi Paul,Great minds? I've started flying with FSX during the last two weeks after installing the patch. It's made it flyable on my relatively modest main PC.I used to fly the PIC767 years ago but as you can see from my sig I'm now in the PM camp where I fly the PMDG737 modified to remove all the panels etc.I know we're drifting off topic here. Looking forward too to EGCC Extreme. Enjoy your flying!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount for such updates.Jeppesen sells its FliteStar flight planning software covering Europe for about

Pete Dowson has an older version of that software and he refuses to pay the extortionate cost for updates. It's okay for airlines to pay it (do they have an alternative?) but for the home user it's probably out of the question.If NavData can be obtained at reasonable rates then why would this kind of data be so expensive?On the EGCC update I obtained a new Mag Var for EGCC from the official AIC site. It's now 3.2W (old value was 5.0W). Given that the runways haven't physically moved I believe changing MagVar, runway desigs using AFCAD will have sucessfully modified the BGL. Certainly everything seems okay in FS9 up to now.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

We just are not set up for regular content updates. Its a place we'd like to get to, but we are not there yet.This is where the SDK and the developer community show their real value.

Hi Phil,Thanks for your reply. I guess what you're saying is that the SDK provides the necessary info for 3rd party tools to be created that could modify the BGLs?Lee Swordy provided perhaps the most useful FS9 utility - AFCAD - that allowed this kind of info to be modified. What we need now is someone with his skills and know-how to produce a FSX equivalent.Perhaps in the next version of FS the deluxe version could include such a utility? It's nice to know you recognise the need for updates. Maybe we'll get them by the time FS11 arrives :-)Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>>Lee Swordy provided perhaps the most >useful FS9 utility - AFCAD - that allowed >this kind of info to be modified. >What we need now is someone with his >skills and know-how to produce >a FSX equivalent.>and that someone exsitJon Masterson (scruffyduck) has done the same thing for FSX with his CAD program.Go get ADE for the runway number changes and SDE for the approach code changes (runway) from FSDeveloper. ADE is in public beta. It will do what you want in its current version.ADE will also renumber the taxiway signs.

Jim,Thanks. I'll take a look at it. In the long term I would still like Microsoft to provide an update service and the response from Phil suggests we'll have it one day.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Pls let us know how long it took to change the data in the sim, with no special knowleadge, just following the above links. Really interested.Thanks.