Sign in to follow this  
flySWISS

GSX Pro - Top or Flop?

54 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

It is probably very unfortunate timing that GSX was released just when this new CTD problem arose

That's the odd bit. My crashing issues started 2 or 3 weeks before GSX dropped. At first I thought Neofly was crashing it, but then it kept crashing when I stopped using Neofly.

Sometimes it doesn't even make it to a flight - it'll crash when I'm selecting a departure airport.

11 minutes ago, DJJose said:

This topic & thread is a good example of why we wanted MSFS to be a fully working sim instead of a platform for 3rd party developers.

Who is "we?" No one who has the barest understanding of how sims are developed "wanted" that because it's virtually impossible. A sim is always a platform because we don't want to spend $1,000 for a sim. And that's what we'd be spending, at minimum, if MSFS came with literally everything anyone could want. I want a "study-level" 747. Not everyone does. Why should all of you have to pay extra to get something you have no interest in?

What this episode really indicates is that 3pd's need to change their attitude toward development and release. Back in the FSX/P3d days, they could get away with fiddly releases that required lots of tweaking and fooling with config files. Now the more mainstream gamer crowd is here. That's a very good thing - just from a hardware perspective alone, the choices have exploded since the FSX days. However, it also means that there will be less tolerance for half-baked releases.  FSDT is a deservedly well-respected developer, and those of us who've been in the scene for a long time know we're not going to be left hanging and the problems will be fixed. But the new people with their wads of new cash don't know the history, and they're not going to put up with stuff like this. I think legacy developers are going to have to focus on releases that at least work out of the box rather than relying on the old tinkerers to be patient.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, DJJose said:

important core sim features we've clamored for since the day the sim released.

Since when having having passengers boarding is a core sim feature? 😕  

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

1 hour ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Try turning off live weather.

sp

That's not a bad shout. Could well be.

2 hours ago, DJJose said:

This topic & thread is a good example of why we wanted MSFS to be a fully working sim instead of a platform for 3rd party developers.

My conclusion is that MSFS is just another FSX/P3D & XPlane.

What we wanted to avoid is now a reality because ASOBO chose to focus on enhancing the scenery instead of focusing on the important core sim features we've clamored for since the day the sim released.

I’m all for supporting third party devs - as MS keep stating, but what about those customers who don’t want to spend a shed full of cash on half baked products in the hope of improving poorly implemented base features.

I’m not saying Asobo should be animating people walking onto an aircraft, but I was hoping that the default ground AI would be improved - the depressing reality is now with the release of products like this it’s unlikely to happen.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

13 minutes ago, hanhamreds said:

it’s unlikely to happen.

...until MSFS 2032 😁

• Like 1

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

2 hours ago, jarmstro said:

That's not a bad shout. Could well be.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help.
2 CTDs without live weather just now (and GSX uninstalled).

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

41 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't help.
2 CTDs without live weather just now (and GSX uninstalled).

Ah!

21 hours ago, rjack1282 said:

Sorry, new day, new age, new market with MSFS.  It's no longer "let's excuse shoddy work to support devs in a small niche community".  Today's generation isn't going to accept this.

No need to say sorry to me, I actually fly real world jets for a living. I'm here in the community to give back as my desire to fly started with flight sim. For some, flight sim is as close as they will get, so I support those who provide the experience. At the end of day, when developers stop developing, there comes an end to an era. If you took my post as a defense of shoddy work, well, it is what it is.

Rick

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/21/2022 at 3:20 PM, G550flyer said:

No need to say sorry to me, I actually fly real world jets for a living. I'm here in the community to give back as my desire to fly started with flight sim. For some, flight sim is as close as they will get, so I support those who provide the experience. At the end of day, when developers stop developing, there comes an end to an era. If you took my post as a defense of shoddy work, well, it is what it is.

Rick

I saw your tumblr.com postings of real world flying for a living which reminds me of this quote:

"Those who can, do; those who can't teach".

Very generally, when applied to flying:

"Those who fly, fly; those who can't sim". 

• Like 2

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

On 8/21/2022 at 5:47 PM, hanhamreds said:

I’m not saying Asobo should be animating people walking onto an aircraft, but I was hoping that the default ground AI would be improved

I agree with this and I would actually go as far as saying that I'm surprised Asobo didn't model animated passengers. I mean Joern talked so much about 'the living world'. Airports are a pretty key feature of that and the surest way to make a living world part of flight sim experience is to bring life to the airports.

Edited by steve310002
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 10:47 AM, hanhamreds said:

I’m not saying Asobo should be animating people walking onto an aircraft, but I was hoping that the default ground AI would be improved...... 

7 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

Airports are a pretty key feature of that and the surest way to make a living world part of flflight sim experience is to bring life to the airports.

Honestly,  I would settle for Asobo fixing all of the airport runway elevation issues which are never addressed.  Being catapulted into the air or having your AC flipped upon take off or landing is not type the "living world" I can appreciate in a flight sim.  

Regards, Kendall

Interesting post I found below in regard to GSX Pro:

Myself and Emi aka @737NG Driver spent an hour or so this morning in a voice call discussing and sharing our thoughts in relation to the new GSX Pro for Microsoft Flight Simulator - and why many in the community including ourselves suspected it could have been the cause of this week's mega pandemic-level Crash to Desktop issue within Microsoft Flight Simulator. Thankfully, and quickly, it became clear over 24hrs that it in fact had nothing to do with GSX so we wanted to make this clear to everyone. The issue in fact lies within the Online Services that MSFS uses to provide things like Multiplayer, Photogrammetry and Live Weather (it wouldn't be the first time Live Weather caused significant issues either *cough Sim Update 5!). I was really honoured to be able to join 737NG Driver for this Collaborative video. It's live on both channels, same thumbnail, same video - I hope you find it informative and useful. If you're wondering, re-install GSX and see how you go!

Edited by G550flyer
test
  • Like 3

So where does this new conclusion leave those who chose this topic to roundly condemn FSDT for releasing an "unfinished product" etc, etc, etc.....
I wonder how many will return to say that either they are still correct or that they may have prematurely misjudged the situation, despite the "irrefutable proof" that they had, showing that GSX was the only possible cause, or even, apologise?

For the record, I do not have GSX but I have been plagued with memory access errors and the sudden disappearance of MSFS without any error logs for several weeks. These have become very regular in the last few days. For now, I have lost patience with it.
For this reason, I have been highly sceptical of the view that the cause is GSX from the outset and I still am.
I posted as much and received only a suggestion that I was in league with FSDT, or some other conspiracy theory.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, irocx said:

Being catapulted into the air or having your AC flipped upon take off or landing is not type the "living world" I can appreciate in a flight sim.  

I've never had that happen.

Edit: Well yes, at one airport near photogrammetry, but I haven't had it happen since.

Edited by Tuskin38

I read a post somewhere that stated you could not use your airlines custom stairs. Is this correct?

I paint liveries for vintage airliners and usually the developer includes stairs with their product. I like to paint the stairs to match the livery and as such, if true, than I cannot use those stairs.

I am sure for P3D I was using custom stairs with this product. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png