Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

SU 10 is out!

33 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

You had the recent studio driver but went back to the GRD? Because of CTDs? And with the studio driver you didn’t get proper multithreading in DX12?

The DDU-ing was mostly because my installation in general after updating both the sim and the driver wasn't working well. So I figured I'd DDU the driver and start again (as I couldn't exactly undo the SU10 update). As I was doing that I thought I'd drop back for the clean install to the recent GRD anyway. The CTDs were just one of the problems I'd been getting with SU9, and that's about the only thing SU10 seems to have done for me - cure them. As for the multithreading - no, I wouldn't say the original driver achieved that much as far as that went.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

7 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Once NVIDIA release the Game Ready driver with the fix, Asobo will release a patch that will unlock the memory manager for NVIDIA cards again. Right now the latest Studio driver shouldn't create any difference from earlier versions because the memory manager that was causing the artifacts remains disabled for now.

From the patch notes:

So you know as a fact that the new Studio drivers with NOTES: on MSFS within the release notes on the new driver will not have the any benifit and are still disabled on Asobo's end?

Interesting!

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Once NVIDIA release the Game Ready driver with the fix, Asobo will release a patch that will unlock the memory manager for NVIDIA cards again. Right now the latest Studio driver shouldn't create any difference from earlier versions because the memory manager that was causing the artifacts remains disabled for now.

From the patch notes:

Not wanting to disagree with the master!  :biggrin:  But Matt Nischan himself said it would trigger automatically with the new driver, not needing a patch, and also, the studio driver release notes mention MSFS and fixing the DX12 artefacts.  So, my question is, were the artefacts in DX12 caused by the bad memory management?  I thought they were.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

In the Release Notes for the current Nvidia studio driver -- Were the DX12 issues for MSFS mentioned as "known issues" or as "fixed issues"?

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

2 minutes ago, David Mills said:

In the Release Notes for the current Nvidia studio driver -- Were the DX12 issues for MSFS mentioned as "known issues" or as "fixed issues"?

Fixed!

• Like 2

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

25 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

But Matt Nischan himself said it would trigger automatically with the new driver, not needing a patch

Ah sorry, I didn't see that. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll remove the misleading information.

25 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

So, my question is, were the artefacts in DX12 caused by the bad memory management?

As far as I can tell, the artifacts were caused when the memory manager attempted to use more VRAM than the allocated amount, but only on NVIDIA cards (which is why mostly those with 8GB VRAM were seeing the issue). I don't know whether it's the memory manager's fault or something on NVIDIA's side, but if it takes a driver update to fix it, it's probably the latter, especially since nobody on AMD GPUs saw the issue.

25 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

So you know as a fact that the new Studio drivers with NOTES: on MSFS within the release notes on the new driver will not have the any benifit and are still disabled on Asobo's end?

Ignore what I said, I was mistaken apparently. One way to tell for sure that the Studio driver is triggering the memory manager is whether MSFS can use more than 8GB of VRAM, since I saw reports on the official forums that, after it was disabled, VRAM usage was capped to 7-8GB.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

What’s your theory on what we’re missing from the initial beta? Is it something from Asobo, Nvidia, or both?

It’s confusing indeed, as we just saw from Chaotic’s (now redacted) post, which contradicted what Matt said yesterday. 

Just finished reading a thread on the official forum, where the confusion is complete. Some are adamant that the driver referred to in the release notes must be the game ready driver, as the studio driver was out before the release notes.

At this stage I don’t know what to believe, other than my own observation that DX12 is smooth with the studio driver and it was not without it.

• Like 3

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

@ChaoticBeauty  No problem!  :biggrin:  And I agree with your summary of the situation.  Logical!

The question is, where exactly are we?  (not necessarily asking you by the way - just rhetorical).

Does the studio driver only contain part of the DX12 adjustment, or all of it?
I can understand why people expect this to happen in the game ready driver, as that is what Nvidia normally do - it is strange when the fix is released in a studio driver, but only Nvidia will know the answer to that.

There is a thread over at the official forum (that Cpt_Piett mentions above) that would give anybody a headache, with some people crying out for a moderator or MS / Asobo representative to clarify the situation. It makes it worse that some people now report excellent results with the studio driver, and some don't.  of course, this may be down to individual set-up's and PC specs.  

Time for me to get the paracetamol out!  :smile:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

One way to tell for sure that the Studio driver is triggering the memory manager is whether MSFS can use more than 8GB of VRAM, since I saw reports on the official forums that, after it was disabled, VRAM usage was capped to 7-8GB.

I’ve been getting “dedicated VRAM in use” of over 20Gb with the studio driver, reported by HWiNFO.

• Like 3

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

3 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I’ve been getting “dedicated VRAM in use” of over 20Gb with the studio driver, reported by HWiNFO.

Thank you for the confirmation. If you're getting smoother performance too, it sounds like it's working. Enjoy!

• Like 3

I think the other thing to keep in mind is the DLSS "3.0" conversation with triple and quadrupling frame rates in existing titles is exclusive to the new 4K cards regardless of driver version.  It's HW dependent. 

So if you are thinking "DLSS+DX12 my framerates should be skyrocketing" that's not the case... The Nvidia videos were DLSS 3.0 on a 4K card which is where the "massive" gains Nvidia was showing were coming from.  

Memory management and smoothness/stuttering may still benefit with DLSS/DX12 but we want to make sure we don't confuse/blur/overlap the conversations... 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-dlss-3-only-works-with-geforce-rtx-40-series-gpus-for-now

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

39 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

It’s confusing indeed, as we just saw from Chaotic’s (now redacted) post, which contradicted what Matt said yesterday. 

Just finished reading a thread on the official forum, where the confusion is complete. Some are adamant that the driver referred to in the release notes must be the game ready driver, as the studio driver was out before the release notes.

At this stage I don’t know what to believe, other than my own observation that DX12 is smooth with the studio driver and it was not without it.

Given your VRAM allocations, it seems the new memory manager is working for you, but you're still not seeing the level of multi-threading and performance gains that were in the initial beta... correct?  Which says that there's still something missing.

ps. Weren't you promoted to Admiral? 😄

Edited by Virtual-Chris

So; more superb Asobo communication then. They could clear this up straight away with a simple statement regarding drivers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evaamo said:

I'm using the most recent studio driver. I'm still using DX11, however.

Is there a major difference in performance in using the studio vs the gamer edition?. Thanks! 

I think a few others answered you already.  For DX 11, you don't need the new NVidia drivers at all. The Studio driver is for using DX 12.

As for the differences, various sites will tell you that the performance for both drivers on games is the same. For me personally, I am waiting for the Game Ready driver. But if you already downloaded the Studio driver and it works well for you, just keep it, IMO.

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM