Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

SU 10 is out!

1 hour ago, Virtual-Chris said:

What did they undo?

They what’s what I would like to know! 

29 minutes ago, Mike T said:

I was getting spectacular performance  before the patch with everything on ultra, 100% AIG AI, at 3rd party airports like Imaginesim ATL, with Fenix, even full overcast sky. It has always been curious that my PC would be absolutely silent. My CPU liquid cooling fans would be barely spinning and my 3080 fans would also be at low RPM. (i7-11700k OC'd to 5.2Ghz, G.Skill 32Gb 4133Mhz, 3080Ti with modest 300Mhz OC, Asus Maximus Mobo, etc.)

After the patch I noticed no increase in performance at all - maybe even a decrease - but now my GPU fan is going nuts and my liquid cooling fans are definitely spinning faster. I assume that MSFS is using the GPU more now? Can anyone confirm?

So the only thing I got more of out of the patch was more fan noise and more generated heat for the same / less performance. 

So far most of the users ( majority) have great performance with SU10. This update is not specialized for boosting fps, the main target is to have a smooth immersion with out stutters on ground/panning etc especially wtih DX12 ( beta 1 ).

We have similar pc spec and its really weird that you don't have great results. I saw you have AIG Ai at 100% and if this will be combined with TLOD over 200...will create serious low performance issues with 11700k

also i didn't know 11700k could handle 4133mhz. Are you overlocking ram?

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

3 hours ago, Mike T said:

I was getting spectacular performance  before the patch with everything on ultra, 100% AIG AI, at 3rd party airports like Imaginesim ATL, with Fenix, even full overcast sky. It has always been curious that my PC would be absolutely silent. My CPU liquid cooling fans would be barely spinning and my 3080 fans would also be at low RPM. (i7-11700k OC'd to 5.2Ghz, G.Skill 32Gb 4133Mhz, 3080Ti with modest 300Mhz OC, Asus Maximus Mobo, etc.)

After the patch I noticed no increase in performance at all - maybe even a decrease - but now my GPU fan is going nuts and my liquid cooling fans are definitely spinning faster. I assume that MSFS is using the GPU more now? Can anyone confirm?

So the only thing I got more of out of the patch was more fan noise and more generated heat for the same / less performance. 

My GPU sounds like it's about to explode!!  I was very happy before the update. 

i9 9900K at 4.9ghz, MSI RTX 3080, 32 G RAM, (3) 1TB SSD 

6 minutes ago, Poppingcork said:

So, now you’re unhappy because your gpu is doing as it was intended to do? Strange. Never understood this concept. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Noel said:

And that's a purely artificial reason for not using Vsync--if you want actual SMOOTHEST performance, it's Vsync every time, be it MSFS or P3D.

SU10 and DLSS may have changed the rules.  VSYNC is like that other sim.  After trying it I removed it almost immediately.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

34 minutes ago, Poppingcork said:

You might want to consider underclocking your gpu, using something like MSI Afterburner.  I did and I now have much less heat (slower fans) with negligible performance loss.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

5 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

It might seem that way, yes. Re: multithreading though, I’m not sure which monitoring software I can trust, as they give wildly different results.

So I've looked into this further, and it seems HWiNFO is not reliable for monitoring CPU thread usage in Win11 with 12th gen Intel CPUs. Hence - I've no idea if I get good multithreading with DX12 or not, as HWiNFO just reports one thread (of 24) in use, no matter what. 

I checked this by running 3DMark's CPU profile, and it's not just a MSFS thing. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, Poppingcork said:

My GPU sounds like it's about to explode!! 

you are cleared for the option: reduce power curve and thermal limits of your GPU, reduce TDP, performance and noise at pilots discretion. or fly with the eagles.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

So, now you’re unhappy because your gpu is doing as it was intended to do? Strange. Never understood this concept. 

So yes...the GPU is getting utilized more, now getting hotter, using WAY more power, the fans are causing orders of magnitude increase in nose - but there is no increase in performance of the sim. That's the concept that I don't understand. I'm waiting for someone to explain it to me.

I then see some talking about underclocking, power curves, and reducing power in exchange for "negligible" performance decreases? HUH? So HOW is that better than it was before the patch???

Edited by Mike T
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

So I've looked into this further, and it seems HWiNFO is not reliable for monitoring CPU thread usage in Win11 with 12th gen Intel CPUs. Hence - I've no idea if I get good multithreading with DX12 or not, as HWiNFO just reports one thread (of 24) in use, no matter what. 

I checked this by running 3DMark's CPU profile, and it's not just a MSFS thing. 

Ultimately, if it’s more multithreaded, you should end up in fewer situations where you’re main thread limited… and thus more situations where your GPU limited… and thus higher FPS is those scenarios. Any sense of whether that’s the case?

For example, in my situation, I’m sailing along at 50-60FPS (GPU limited) most of the time but at major airports or with photogrammetry, I can see FPS drop to 30-40 (main thread limited).  Just going from live weather to clear skies preset can make a 5-10FPS difference. I was hoping DX12 would lessen the blow of this kind of thing. (I haven’t had time to fly so I’m referring to pre SU 10 final build)

Edited by Virtual-Chris

7 minutes ago, Mike T said:

So yes...the GPU is getting utilized more, now getting hotter, using WAY more power, the fans are causing orders of magnitude increase in nose - but there is no increase in performance of the sim. That's the concept that I don't understand. I'm waiting for someone to explain it to me.

I then see some talking about underclocking, power curves, and reducing power in exchange for "negligible" performance decreases? HUH? So HOW is that better than it was before the patch???

Hey, wait a minute.  I underclocked waaay wayy before SU10, I've been doing that for years.   So HOW that's better than before SU10 or whatever you're saying, there was no "before", it's always been underclocked.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Traffic Radar can now see other player aircraft in the default MSFS Multiplater.

This includes the FBW A20N TCAS, I forgot to turn off multiplayer and someone buzzed me in an F-18 setting off the avoidance system.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Traffic Radar can now see other player aircraft in the default MSFS Multiplater.

This includes the FBW A20N TCAS, I forgot to turn off multiplayer and someone buzzed me in an F-18 setting off the avoidance system.

Hah, that's actually pretty cool! I never play with multiplayer on, but maybe I'll try this out.

6 hours ago, Mike T said:

They listened to their non-gaming GPU users who don't want to waste time being pestered with the latest Elden Ring driver updates while they are only using Photoshop.

I tried Photoshop but it did not have a menu item to increase the power of spells to thwart my enemies 😞

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Guys, sorry about the confusion with my posts re: DX12 multithreading. I was looking at the wrong values in HWiNFO. Apparently, in Windows 11 22H2 one needs to look at "core utility", not "core usage". This reflects how much work the thread actually performs. Due to Turbo Boost, the utility values can exceed 100% when under heavy utilization, which is by design and expected.

Anyway, with this I see very solid CPU multithreading with DX12. VRAM usage is high and certainly not capped. As @ChaoticBeauty pointed to, this could mean that the VRAM memory manager is in fact active with the latest studio driver. One easy way to verify this would be to do a test with the game ready driver from August and compare multithreading and VRAM usage. 

Below is a screenshot with some stats ~10 minutes after takeoff from Milford Sound in the modded G36. I've reduced the TLOD to a more reasonable 400, as I suspect the "Your graphics device has encountered a problem" CTD I had yesterday could be related to running too high graphics settings. 

Note that in the screenshot below the "D3D12" values refer to MSI Afterburner benchmarking, with the following values: 

Average fps 53 | Minimum fps 26 | Maximum fps 61 | 1% low fps 36 | 0.1% low fps 22

This is at 4K ultra and like I mentioned TLOD of 400. Also I set shadow size a bit higher than default at 6144. And I'm now on TAA with a render scaling of 110 in order to increase the chances of being GPU limited. 

gqVyBoV.jpg
Ypd4qMH.jpg

And a quick video to show how smooth DX12 is when panning around. This is recorded with Xbox game bar at "high" and 60fps. Still, the recording normally introduces some stutters...

1 hour ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Ultimately, if it’s more multithreaded, you should end up in fewer situations where you’re main thread limited… and thus more situations where your GPU limited… and thus higher FPS is those scenarios. Any sense of whether that’s the case?

I don’t think I’ve seen much higher fps with DX12. But certainly better CPU utilization overall, less chance of being main thread limited (in fact I’ve mostly been GPU limited since installing the latest studio driver) and last but not least higher 1% lows, leading to a smoother experience.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”