Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

SU 10 is out!

Just now, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It’s not and it uses low frame compensation, hence the flickering. G-sync ultimate monitors do not flicker. I know because I have a C1 and also an ultimate monitor. 

Alright, but you’re not convincing me that g-sync has any value. 😛

Just now, Virtual-Chris said:

Alright, but you’re not convincing me that g-sync has any value. 😛

Try an ultimate monitor at 30-40fps. And then see for yourself. It’s outstanding. 

Just now, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Try an ultimate monitor at 30-40fps. And then see for yourself. It’s outstanding. 

Outstanding in what way? (I don’t have an ultimate monitor… I enjoy my 77” OLED). 

8 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Outstanding in what way? (I don’t have an ultimate monitor… I enjoy my 77” OLED). 

The way the frames matches the Hz of the monitor. It’s like butter smooth. Has to be seen to be appreciated. But I too like you use a large C1 instead, so I disable g-sync and disable v-sync in game and I just cap my frames with RTSS to 40 for jets or 60 for GA. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

3 hours ago, threegreen said:

DX11 or 12? Also, did you see much improvement with DLSS instead of TAA?

I saw some performance improvement (better FPS rate), and way more smoothness, but at the cost of not so crisp image as I got with TAA, even using the ingame sharpening slider at maximun

16 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The way the frames matches the Hz of the monitor. It’s like butter smooth. Has to be seen to be appreciated. But I too like you use a large C1 instead, so I disable g-sync and disable v-sync in game and I just cap my frames with RTSS to 40 for jets or 60 for GA. 

Like Chris I'm on a large OLED and I'm using NCP V-sync (the fast option), uncapped. Are you saying you're not using any V-sync? I guess you're not since you're locking fps. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

5 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Like Chris I'm on a large OLED and I'm using NCP V-sync (the fast option), uncapped. Are you saying you're not using any V-sync? I guess you're not since you're locking fps. 

I am not no, I run 4 screens, so it was nothing but trouble. I just literally cap the frames using RTSS. 

I'm still experimenting but, although overall being more than happy with SU10 through my Reverb G2 (they've sorted the tool bar pop ups!!!!!! 🙂 ) , I was nevertheless getting no benefits in FPS or smoothness initially with either DLSS or DX12.

That is, until I followed the words of the wise sages round here and:

- Updated the nVidia driver to Studio Driver 517.40

- Then turned on DX12

- Then tried DLSS (Balanced)

Results?

Without DLSS (ie, TAA) :  FPS around 42 in VR;  Cockpit text and buttons sharp;  External view good but micro judders when looking directly down at scenery from 11000ft

With DLSS (Balanced)   :  FPS around 58 in VR; Cockpit text and buttons not bad, but less sharp than when using TAA; External view crisp, smooth, no micro judders when looking directly down at scenery from 11000ft

So better FPS & smoother externals with the new Studio Driver + DX12  + DLSS.  Once I find the magic method to also keep the in-cockpit sharpness, I will be a very happy bunny indeed  🙂

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

14 minutes ago, AJZip said:

Once I find the magic method to also keep the in-cockpit sharpness, I will be a very happy bunny indeed  🙂

Yes, this will be the final bit we're missing. Asobo is apparently working on a way (or thinking about) creating a mask for the areas of the cockpit that need sharp text - so that those bits will NOT be using DLSS but will be rendered at full res. 

I'm not a game programmer so no idea if that will work, but Martial sounded pretty confident when he said it, so I'll leave it to the experts. I'm sure there's some way of doing it. I guess we should have a great DLSS implementation in another 3-6 months now that every MSFS player has access to it (and thus is sending back telemetry, and some will send in bug reports)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FlyingGoose said:

we should have a great DLSS implementation in another 3-6 months now that every MSFS player has access to it

I don't. DLSS isn't available on a GTX card 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Vsync at the higher end of your hz yes, so 120hz for example and only then do you want vsync to kick in. You don’t want to be using the msfs vsync option’s when using gsync. 

you do NOT want it on below your max refresh  rate, defeats the point of gsync. 

Try locking your frames to 40 or 50 with RTSS and keeping gsync enabled. Best of both worlds. 

ps vsync doesn’t need to be on for a fan curve at all….. 

Okay... So... I have a full g-sync monitor which does what it should all the way down to 1 fps. It was the best piece of hardware I bought in ages. Made MFSF absolutely butter smooth. It's a 144 hz monitor so... I should install RTSS, set vs-ync in RTSS to something like 140 and then cap fps in RTSS at around 60...? Then I will keep full g-sync functionality and low power should work?

(Will all this also help my pc from working too hard and getting too loud and hot?) 

Confusing stuff... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tup61 said:

I should install RTSS, set vs-ync in RTSS to something like 140 and then cap fps in RTSS at around 60...?

I think Ian meant locking fps to 40 or 50 (or whatever suits your system best) in RTSS and using G-Sync. This is what I used to do, with great results. But I’ll let Ian speak for himself 🙂

EDIT: Btw, with DX12, I’m not getting exceptional fps. Humming along at 40-50 in the Bonanza over NZ with a TLOD of 400. It’s super smooth, but if I start flying over more civilized areas (not saying NZ is not, but…) I’ll have to reduce TLOD. I’ll see how it handles Christchurch first 😅

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

4 hours ago, threegreen said:

DX11 or 12? Also, did you see much improvement with DLSS instead of TAA?

DX11.... I don't care for DLSS nor DX12.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Using DLSS and DX11 at 1440p with my RTX 3060 and the Studio Drivers, my FPS have gone up to an average of 70 compared to 45 using TAA, YMMV.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10