Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

SU 10 is out!

8 hours ago, tup61 said:

No one can convince you with words. You have to see it and experience it. The official 'full' G-Sync monitor I bought a year ago was my best hardware purchase in years. MSFS is utterly and completely and realistically smooth. And I don't have a super system, run everying at ultra and mainly fly the Fenix A320. I specially notice the difference when looking sideways: without the G-Sync monitor everything would pass by ever so slightly (up to really badly) stuttering. Not too bad but clearly not smooth at all. With G-Sync it is as smooth as it can be.

I only have some stuttering every now and then when I (quickly) look around with TrackIR but once I settled my view it is 100% smooth. Love it.

BTW I tried various v-sync options but low power mode doesn't work here. The GPU still goes into overdrive up to 100% when I pause the sim and minimise it. I'll just forget about that mode, I am done fooling around with it and rather fly.

I don’t have any added stuttering after disabling g-sync and using fast sync. Most importantly, the g-sync induced OLED flicker at night is gone. 

I found this explanation of the various sync schemes available and it explains how fast sync works so well… (compliments if Reddit)

Explanation of terms for those that are unsure:

V-SYNC - Framerate synced with monitor refresh rate (no tearing, input lag, increasing input lag as framerate lowers since)

V-SYNC OFF - Framerate un-synced (tearing, very little input lag)

Adaptive Sync - At high framerates, VSync is enabled to eliminate tearing. At low frame rates, it's disabled to minimise stuttering. (input lag at high frame rates, tearing at low frame rates)

G-SYNC / FreeSync - Syncs refresh rate to frame rate (no tearing, minor input lag) (important to note that if maximum refresh rate is hit, G-SYNC will no longer be functioning so then input lag may be encountered if V-SYNC is enabled, input lag will not be encountered if V-SYNC is disabled but tearing will be)

FAST-SYNC - De-coupled rendering and monitor refresh. VSYNC OFF but the monitor will only render completely rendered frames, thus eliminating tearing (MINOR input lag but NO TEARING! ) also it is monitor agnostic so it will work with any screen. It is analogous to hardware triple buffering but does not back-pressure the render pipeline.

It is a clever solution to the problem and requires very little overhead there should be no performance hit. It can still be used with G-SYNC for those that have systems that struggle to maintain FPS > refresh rate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

don’t have any added stuttering after disabling g-sync and using fast sync.

Neither do I, but it’s no so much the stuttering that it’s fixing in this instance at the lower frame rates. Look at the ground just after takeoff outside your left hand window (especially if using TrackIR). It’s kinda like skipping, not stuttering. It’s subtle but noticeable. G-sync eliminates this. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Explanation of terms for those that are unsure:

Thanks for this writeup Chris. I find that choosing the right option is not that easy. I'll probably keep using the fast sync option for now. 

5 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Neither do I, but it’s no so much the stuttering that it’s fixing in this instance at the lower frame rates. Look at the ground just after takeoff outside your left hand window (especially if using TrackIR). It’s kinda like skipping, not stuttering. It’s subtle but noticeable. G-sync eliminates this. 

I agree the changes can be very subtle. I seem to remember the movements in the sim were even more fluid when using G-Sync. Especially when looking to the side outside the window, or in external view watching the aircraft move over the ground.

I'm on a LG CX 77 OLED, which probably doesn't have the G-Sync "ultimate" or whatever it's called. But I ditched G-Sync after Chris pointed to flicker in low light conditions in this thread: 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

29 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Look at the ground just after takeoff outside your left hand window (especially if using TrackIR). It’s kinda like skipping, not stuttering. It’s subtle but noticeable. G-sync eliminates this. 

Yes, thanks, that is exactly what I was trying to say! 😉

• Like 1

Flickering:-

Let’s say you have a 144Hz VA gaming monitor with brightness flickering in some of your games.

There are two main reasons you get brightness flickering: LFC and frequent FPS fluctuation.

If your gaming monitor has a variable refresh rate range of 48-144Hz, it will trigger LFC(Low Framerate Compensation) once your FPS (Frames Per Second) hits 47FPS or lessif you have an AMD graphics card.

Now, LFC multiplies your framerate in order to eliminate tearing even when your FPS dips below the monitor’s VRR range. For instance, at 47FPS, it gets tripled to 141Hz.

So, let’s say one second you have 48FPS, and therefore, 48Hz, and then, the next second, your FPS drops to 47FPS, and your refresh rate spikes up to 141Hz.

Because your monitor is brighter at higher refresh rates, brightness oscillates.

If your FPS is constantly around 48FPS, LFC rapidly goes on and off — thus causing brightness flickering.

A simple solution to this is to decrease your picture settings in order to maintain a higher frame rate. Alternatively, you can use CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) to increase the VRR range.

^^^^^ this applies to other model screen types and nvidia too. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

15 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

Thanks Bert - I have two entries for the NXI in the Content Manager. One is a very small size file (can’t recall exact file sizes). One has the NXi image as an icon and the other is just a grey MSFS box. Is that normal?

This has me baffled too. Keep both installed?

0ttqXxL.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed that the 2nd one cannot be uninstalled. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

16 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Flickering:-

Let’s say you have a 144Hz VA gaming monitor with brightness flickering in some of your games.

There are two main reasons you get brightness flickering: LFC and frequent FPS fluctuation.

If your gaming monitor has a variable refresh rate range of 48-144Hz, it will trigger LFC(Low Framerate Compensation) once your FPS (Frames Per Second) hits 47FPS or lessif you have an AMD graphics card.

Now, LFC multiplies your framerate in order to eliminate tearing even when your FPS dips below the monitor’s VRR range. For instance, at 47FPS, it gets tripled to 141Hz.

So, let’s say one second you have 48FPS, and therefore, 48Hz, and then, the next second, your FPS drops to 47FPS, and your refresh rate spikes up to 141Hz.

Because your monitor is brighter at higher refresh rates, brightness oscillates.

If your FPS is constantly around 48FPS, LFC rapidly goes on and off — thus causing brightness flickering.

A simple solution to this is to decrease your picture settings in order to maintain a higher frame rate. Alternatively, you can use CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) to increase the VRR range.

I don’t think we’re talking about the same flickering issue. From the OLED Association website…

Gamma for OLED is optimized and fixed for 120Hz by establishing a fixed charging time for OLED sub-pixels. VRR is used when the frame rate is less than 120 Hz. When the OLED TV uses framerates less than 120Hz, the gamma curve is inconsistent with the frame rate. For example, a 40Hz frame rate is longer than 120Hz frame rate. Therefore, the lower frame rates results in sub pixels that are overcharged, causing flickering of dark gray images, which is noticeable for dark images rather than bright ones, because human eyes are more sensitive to low gray colors. LGD will likely solve this problem establishing multiple gamma curves optimized for lower frame rates. “

This is consistent with my experience that it has nothing to do with frame rate (since all my FPS are well below 120Hz). 

The root of the issue is not g-sync but OLED display properties. But VRR is what reveals it. I still maintain that VRR offers no perceivable benefit to me over fast v-sync but I’ll be honest, I’m not going to do a bunch of testing to be absolutely sure. I have a stutter-free, tear-free, flicker-free image with amazing contrast and color and that’s all that matters 🙂

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

The root of the issue is not g-sync but OLED display properties. But VRR is what reveals it.

VRR reveals it because the HZ is matching the frame rate. And the gamma curve is no good at lower hz, which is trying to match the frame rate. It’s all interlinked as far as I can make out 💁‍♂️

Either way, I have it disabled like you on my C1, and no V-Sync and I see no tearing so, it’s all good. 

• Like 1

Wow... SU10 is awesome... DLSS, gusts, weather depiction improvements, better DX12, integrated G1000NXi, VFR map improvements... Just wow... 😎

spacer.png

• Like 6

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO

4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

This has me baffled too. Keep both installed?

0ttqXxL.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed that the 2nd one cannot be uninstalled. 

According to Syntax [Z+1] in the WT Discord 1.0.4 is the NXi itself, the other is the marketplace package which basically tells third party planes to use the NXi instead of the legacy G1000, so yes, keep both installed.

Edited by Alvega
  • Like 4

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

According to Syntax [Z+1] in the WT Discord 1.0.4 is the NXi itself, the other is the marketplace package which basically tells third party planes to use the NXi instead of the legacy G1000, so yes, keep both installed.

Excellent, thanks for your answer!

• Like 1

The performance since SU10 is absolute outstanding, and so far I have not noticed any significant visual downgrades or cloud-quality and cloud visuals downgrades 🙂

The performance since SU10 is absolute outstanding, and so far I have not noticed any significant visual downgrades or cloud-quality and cloud visuals downgrades 🙂 I woThe best SU-update ever!!

7 hours ago, Alvega said:

I do not understand this.
Isn't the old G1000 replaced by this new NXi version so that planes automatically use the Nxi Version?
I removed the MP version and flew the G1000 C172 and the Nxi was enabled in that plane.
That's a reason for me to think that the NXi has replaced the old G1000 and that other planes will use the NXi by default without having the MP version installed.
But I gladly stand corrected if it isn't. I'll try the Kodiak in a moment.

I have been told to uninstall one or the other depending on which forum and which user so some official confirmation would be good. For now I have both installed. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog