Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

SU 10 is out!

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

What do you see is the advantage to locking your FPS?

Locking FPS is like driving with cruise control in a car, versus someone that has trouble driving at a consistent speed. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I get severe fps drops for about a second when I change the view in the cockpit, anyone else notice that? (DX 11 same settings as in SU9)

Update, the new studio driver fix my problem.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

44 minutes ago, Noel said:

You might try Vsync to 1/2 of a 60Hz rate, or 30FPS. You and I have the same box but my GPU is at 40% utilization right now (up to 58% or so at KSFO in the 738) with a temp of 68C.  

I actually have an i5 10700K now but same GPU.  I've had the most success with making MSFS GPU limited by cranking the appropriate settings up.  I'm running everything ON and ULTRA with render scaling over 100 (can't recall the exact level)and  I achieve zero stutters and wonderful experience. Prior to SU10, the GPU was at the levels you mention above. But now?  The GPU is running at 99% and fairly hot.  I'm not having a stroke over it BUT I was content pre-SU10.  It is what it is.......

i9 9900K at 4.9ghz, MSI RTX 3080, 32 G RAM, (3) 1TB SSD 

42 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Locking FPS is like driving with cruise control in a car, versus someone that has trouble driving at a consistent speed. 

I'm trying to lock my FPS at full 100% (60Hz on my monitor), but I get 45/60fps when on the ground and there is a light stuttering (high render scaling and terrain detail values). So the 50% is the right solution for a perfect smoothness.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

20 hours ago, JSmith2112 said:

In game low power mode only kicks in when the window is minimised.

Hm, okay, paused the sim, switched to windowed mode and then minimised it... PC keeps on blowing as it does when I play the sim and CPU and GPU-usage is still very high. Nothing changed. This low power mode doesn't seem to do anything...?! Does anyone else here see a noticable difference?

EDIT
Checked again and when minimised CPU goes from around 29% to 24% but GPU goes from 60% to 70%...?!? So it does something but it sure doesn't help as I expected! I still can't really pause the sim and leave my PC for a an hour or so to resume the flight later on... really hoped that would be possible.

Edited by tup61

20 hours ago, Mike T said:

I was getting spectacular performance  before the patch with everything on ultra, 100% AIG AI, at 3rd party airports like Imaginesim ATL, with Fenix, even full overcast sky. It has always been curious that my PC would be absolutely silent. My CPU liquid cooling fans would be barely spinning and my 3080 fans would also be at low RPM. (i7-11700k OC'd to 5.2Ghz, G.Skill 32Gb 4133Mhz, 3080Ti with modest 300Mhz OC, Asus Maximus Mobo, etc.)

After the patch I noticed no increase in performance at all - maybe even a decrease - but now my GPU fan is going nuts and my liquid cooling fans are definitely spinning faster. I assume that MSFS is using the GPU more now? Can anyone confirm?

So the only thing I got more of out of the patch was more fan noise and more generated heat for the same / less performance. 

For me with the same settings I had prior to SU10 my 3090 is definitely being pushed much harder, I haven't had a chance to figure what may be the culprit but I suspect it is something to do with the changes made to clouds and maybe there is also something going on with the LOD's under the hood. I lock my fps to 50 and yesterday in the Fenix I actually had to reduce the display from quality to balanced because I was having trouble maintaining 50fps which was never an issue with SU9.

Back to basics with the settings will be the order of the day and re dial the sim in for my hardware.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

8 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Hm, okay, paused the sim, switched to windowed mode and then minimised it... PC keeps on blowing as it does when I play the sim and CPU and GPU-usage is still very high. Nothing changed. This low power mode doesn't seem to do anything...?! Does anyone else here see a noticable difference?

Yes, it does work for me. Check your GPU usage with Windows Task Manager or a tool like GPU-Z, you should see a clear difference in usage. My GPU load drops from ~90% to ~40% and everything is cooler, quieter and draws less power. Give it a few minutes to cool down and you should see a difference as well. 

12 minutes ago, Claudius_ said:

I'm trying to lock my FPS at full 100% (60Hz on my monitor), but I get 45/60fps when on the ground and there is a light stuttering (high render scaling and terrain detail values). So the 50% is the right solution for a perfect smoothness.

I have mine set at 50% and it is smooth a silk, zero stutters.

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

GPU-lowpoer.png

See what the blue arrows are pointing at - this is when I maximized the sim for one min. The rest of the graph is with it minimized and low power enabled. You can clearly see the huge jump in power when the sim is maxed out.

Temps will take some time to cool down, of course. 

16 minutes ago, FlyingGoose said:

Yes, it does work for me. Check your GPU usage with Windows Task Manager or a tool like GPU-Z, you should see a clear difference in usage. My GPU load drops from ~90% to ~40% and everything is cooler, quieter and draws less power. Give it a few minutes to cool down and you should see a difference as well. 

Gave it another try. CPU goes from 29% to 23% and GPU from 60% even up to 79%..? When I start flying again the GPU immediately drops to 60 or below... Very odd.

Just downloaded GPU-Z. Will see what it shows.

EDIT
See the spikes at GPU load (and everywhere else)? That's with the sim paused and minimised...! When I pause and stay at the menu the GPU load (second spike) is even 100%! When I resume flying the load is a lot lower...

spacer.png

Edited by tup61

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Love it... it's more like unlocking FPS means you're always driving as fast as the traffic allows.

1 hour ago, Poppingcork said:

I actually have an i5 10700K now but same GPU.  I've had the most success with making MSFS GPU limited by cranking the appropriate settings up.  I'm running everything ON and ULTRA with render scaling over 100 (can't recall the exact level)and  I achieve zero stutters and wonderful experience. Prior to SU10, the GPU was at the levels you mention above. But now?  The GPU is running at 99% and fairly hot.  I'm not having a stroke over it BUT I was content pre-SU10.  It is what it is.......

Go ahead and run your expensive card fully hot for no real benefit.  Or, use Vsync and enjoy smooth stutter-free video while running a cool GPU.  Oh, and I also run RS at 120-130, all Ultra but T-LOD needs to be around 120 for complex planes in complex terminals.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

12 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Love it... it's more like unlocking FPS means you're always driving as fast as the traffic allows.

Yep, that reminds me of the morons who race to the next red light only to brake hard--causes the same kind of 'stuttering' you see in simulators running full tilt w/ no sync (with other traffic, with refresh rate, etc).  You won't see this when autonomous vehicle dominate because they keep themselves in sync with other traffic for smooth and most efficient travel.  

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

18 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

So what you guys are saying is locking FPS is a bit like driving an overloaded Winnebago on the freeway ???

LOL This made me chuckle thank you,

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png