Sign in to follow this  
seamaster55

New entry on p3d website - implied future actions?

Even if it's not P3D v6, it's hard to imagine that LM wants to support two different platforms.  Perhaps, we can think of it as the successor to P3D.  

Given that the v6 beta was leaked, I think it’s safe to assume v6 is coming sooner rather than later. Remains to be seen if this leak is or isn’t v6. 

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for v6 to come out with some good upgrades to scenery depiction, weather, etc and then have this “new sim” come out later on.

However, if this is v6 and it comes with a new engine and completely changes the core of the sim itself, it’s hard to call that still “P3D” even if that’s what Lockheed do end up calling it. 

If this is V6 and if it break’s backwards compatibility and with 99% of the dev’s all in on MSFS, this might be like looking at a shiny Ferrari sitting on the lot. Sure looks great but can’t use it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Eric 

Why is anyone worried if the next LM product (whether it is P3Dv6 or another name entirely) is not backwards compatible with older P3D addons? Everyone who made the switch to the new Microsoft Flight Simulator had to purchase new addons, so what's the difference? :huh:

Personally, I want to see LM create a revolutionary product that will blow MSFS out of the water, if for no other reason than to sit back and enjoy the drama as it happens :wink:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Everyone who made the switch to the new Microsoft Flight Simulator had to purchase new addons, so what's the difference? :huh:

Personally, that's why I didn't switch. 🙂

• Like 1

Vic green

Well...I am just going to remove the other Flight Sim from my computer and wait for the new one!! I can't stand the "old legacy" graphics from the FS2020 days now that I have seen these. 🤣   Sorry guys I just could not help myself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 hours ago, Patco Lch said:

Personally, that's why I didn't switch. 🙂

It's why I went back to P3D 😀

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

for no other reason than to sit back and enjoy the drama as it happens :wink:

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Personally, I want to see LM create a revolutionary product that will blow MSFS out of the water, if for no other reason than to sit back and enjoy the drama as it happens

Flying in an open world in UE 4/5 is a concept partially showcased by Cesium for more than 2 years  (a UE5 branch is available on GitHub).

"Cesium is a full-scale high-accuracy WGS84 globe for Unreal Engine. Visualize massive high-resolution real-world photogrammetry and 3D content at runtime using 3D Tiles.

Cesium brings 3D geospatial ecosystem to Unreal Engine. By combining a high-accuracy full-scale WGS84 globe, open APIs and open standards for spatial indexing such as 3D Tiles, and cloud-based real-world content from Cesium ion with Unreal Engine, this project enables a new era of 3D geospatial software"

In short, it allows automatic streaming of Microsoft Bing’s map data, OpenStreetMap (OSM) Building, and photogrammetry data sets supplied by the Cesium for Unreal plugin.

A  demo called "Project Anywhere" was built on these capabilites. It's an Unreal Engine proof-of-concept created jointly by Cesium, Epic Games, your friends at Microsoft, and NVIDIA. Project Anywhere gives you real-time access to the 3D Tiles visuals and data of the entire world from Cesium.

2020-11-30-Project-Anywhere-3.jpg?auto=c

"Project Anywhere’s flight tracker mode enables the user to track all commercial air traffic in real-time"

I'd bet the farm that LM is already familiar with Cesium 😉 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Whatever Lockheed Martin decide to do, they're a year behind these guys and yes, this is the Unreal engine.

• Like 1

Honestly floored that one sentence from an entry-level marketing person about some sceneries that have been out for years has managed to generate 8 pages of wild speculation.

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX

18 minutes ago, StAgre said:

Honestly floored that one sentence from an entry-level marketing person about some sceneries that have been out for years has managed to generate 8 pages of wild speculation.

I guess some of us have a better knack of reading between the lines.

Edited by Garys

This person's work with unreal5 is impressive also... 

Edited by Papacoach

P3Dv5.4 / Win11: 22H2 / CPU: 10980K at 5.0GHz / Memory: 32Gb at 3600 MHz / GPU:  RTX 3090 / Display: Benq x3000i pj on Silver Ticket 110" screen

10 minutes ago, Garys said:

I guess some of us have a better knack of reading between the lines.

Or just have never worked with a marketing department before

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX

25 minutes ago, StAgre said:

well gosh darn….let me explain if I may. In my case it is just the fact that I am a pretty low IQ sort of red neck that grew up in Florida but vey close to the Alabama line and I think that caused me to, be so dumb and not worthy of being around folks such as yourself being from the big city an such as that.

• Like 3

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/