Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Scenery

PMDG (again)

I learnt quite a bit reading this, not that familiar with Boeing practices, have this plane but I have never noticed this, I'll pay more attention in future...

• Like 1

Wayne

i5 9600k OC @ 4.6,LIQUID COOLED, INNO3D RTX 3060Ti 8GB, 32GB RAM, 2 X 4TB HDD (MSFS & STEAM), 1 X 2TB M.2 SSD (XP12) TOMAHAWK MAG Z390 MOTHERBOARD, M.2 for OS WIN11, X52 PRO, TCA THRUSTMASTER AIRBUS CAPTAINS EDITION, TRACK-IR.    XP12    MSFS2020.   

25 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The OCD part of me noticed a heading of 117 on the ND, and 277 on the MCP

But not Altitude 00000 ??

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

31 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

G

"We don't believe in Go-Arounds." 👨‍✈️

• Like 2

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

39 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

G

Not unheard of. IIRC, that’s SOP for Southwest. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

The OCD part of me noticed a heading of 117 on the ND, and 277 on the MCP

You guys are better 737 pilots than me, but...Set heading to your runway heading/final approach course, and set your altitude to your go-around altitude.  Correctimundo?

This would be 1) just in case you switch to HDG mode (or the AP fails and enters HDG mode), preventing the airplane from rolling to some other heading, or 2) just in case you have to go around, your altitude is set already.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Gazzareth said:

G

Astonishingly, I did not notice that!

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

18 minutes ago, Mace said:

You guys are better 737 pilots than me, but...Set heading to your runway heading/final approach course, and set your altitude to your go-around altitude.  Correctimundo?

This would be 1) just in case you switch to HDG mode (or the AP fails and enters HDG mode), preventing the airplane from rolling to some other heading, or 2) just in case you have to go around, your altitude is set already.

Yes, continually reset your HDG bug to your current GPS course or your next intended course direction. Just good practice.

• Like 2

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

Not unheard of. IIRC, that’s SOP for Southwest. 

Seems a bit odd, is there a logical reason for that? Would have thought they would want it set for go-around to reduce workload.

41 minutes ago, Doering said:

Yes, continually reset your HDG bug to your current GPS course or your next intended course direction. Just good practice.

Should probably start doing that - half the time I set it for my takeoff and then if I don't use heading mode in flight I set it for landing !!

G

4 hours ago, jpe828 said:

I love how instead of asking, it is automatically a "bug". 

I knew someone would say that 🙂

I remember now that it does turn off eventually, but it flashed on me, on-off-on-off, which was weird.
I am pretty sure it is not functioning 100% perfectly to the real plane, even though it does turn off in real life.
The other issues I had were real bugs, like the stuck brake.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

3 hours ago, threegreen said:

What do you mean by "fake" autoland? In your picture the aircraft isn't in autoland mode. Single channel is still annunciated on the PFD because autopilot B isn't engaged and flare isn't armed on the FMA. The aircraft doesn't autoland in this case.

That is why I called it "fake", why else would I call it a fake auto-land. Fake meaning, it came in perfectly regardless and auto-flared, so there was no reason to adjust the landing manually (hence it fake auto-landed). 

I am aware I need Auto-B enabled to auto-land, though I've never actually tried a real auto-landing in it before.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

18 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

That is why I called it "fake", why else would I call it a fake auto-land. Fake meaning, it came in perfectly regardless and auto-flared, so there was no reason to adjust the landing manually (hence it fake auto-landed). 

I am aware I need Auto-B enabled to auto-land, though I've never actually tried a real auto-landing in it before.

Funnily enough I saw someone on Discord a while back saying about testing single channel autoland, and claiming it was a thing.

Never heard of it, but no RW experience to argue either way. Seemed dodgy to me at the time though.....

G

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

Funnily enough I saw someone on Discord a while back saying about testing single channel autoland, and claiming it was a thing.

Never heard of it, but no RW experience to argue either way. Seemed dodgy to me at the time though.....

I'm not a real pilot, so no idea, all I know is I read you are supposed to enable both for real-world landings. I am not sure it makes any difference in the SIM though if you enable the other one (maybe but I've never compared it), though it's the proper procedure in real-life.

It still seems to auto-flare in the PMDG even if you don't enable the Flare or Auto-B. I've been meaning to try a "real" auto-landing, but not sure I can tell any difference. Will try on my next landing.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

7 hours ago, micstatic said:

@Alpine Scenerywhat's that landing app?

It's a free app called SimToolkitPro, but it's not perfect. Sometimes it stops communicating with the Sim and doesn't record all my flights (using SimConnect), but so far it has worked about 95% of the time. Also, it doesn't record the distances correctly, I guess he hasn't finished that part yet or maybe you need to use FSUIPC to get all the features working (no idea). I am using it with it's internal SimConnect function.

It also gets the departure location wrong at times depending when you load it, so sometimes it thinks the last place it recorded from was the origin. Like it told me I flew from Utah to Alaska (when really I was in Alaska the entire time).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

6 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

It's a free app called SimToolkitPro, but it's not perfect. Sometimes it stops communicating with the Sim and doesn't record all my flights (using SimConnect), but so far it has worked about 95% of the time. Also, it doesn't record the distances correctly, I guess he hasn't finished that part yet or maybe you need to use FSUIPC to get all the features working (no idea). I am using it with it's internal SimConnect function.

It also gets the departure location wrong at times depending when you load it, so sometimes it thinks the last place it recorded from was the origin. Like it told me I flew from Utah to Alaska (when really I was in Alaska the entire time).

would be cool if volanta would add that in.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next