Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

What will you do to mark 40 years of Microsoft Flight Sim?

Gonna spawn on Meigs Field and then let the nostalgia flow as I remember back to my first time flight simming on Sublogic FS II on the Commodore 64. Which btw you can play online at https://c64online.com/c64-games/flight-simulator-ii/ where they've got it running on a C64 emulator on their server, play with keyboard per the simple instructions there, and be gobsmacked by how enormously far we've come in the last 40 years.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

8 minutes ago, spearmint_flyer said:

You kiss your mother with that mouth? 😅

My mother was an optimist which is why I stuck with FS and MS all these years.

sp

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

I will push the update and then uninstall MFS.

for me the opposite: I am currently re-installing MSFS for the first time in 2 years to be ready for the race (yes, during some stupid drive cleaning/housekeeping/file management I must have inadvertently deleted some MSFS crucial files). But better now than tomorrow and to see everybody celebrating, except those who still mourn the missing volcanoes.  hopefully this will be my only re-install before 2024. 😀

The more interesting question though is: what will you do if for some last minute show stopping bug the update gets cancelled? I think I would have to get really drunk for the first time in 20 years. 😀 🍺🍺🍺 😀

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

22GB download...

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

I'll have to take my mandatory screen shot with the frame counter on and then after the update is released take the exact same screen shot and see how much the FPS has decreased. 😁

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Gonna spawn on Meigs Field and then let the nostalgia flow as I remember back to my first time flight simming on Sublogic FS II on the Commodore 64. Which btw you can play online at https://c64online.com/c64-games/flight-simulator-ii/ where they've got it running on a C64 emulator on their server, play with keyboard per the simple instructions there, and be gobsmacked by how enormously far we've come in the last 40 years.

That's exactly the right approach for me!  Honor my first experience of FS by opening the C64 version, starting at Meigs Field...and crashing every single time because the blasted thing was impossible to control with the keyboard and a display running at 2 FPS! 😆

Edited by JDWalley
  • Like 2

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

why?

It's kind of his thing.

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I started my simming jorney with Sublogic and ended up with MSFS LOL

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

I'm going to drop my PC out of an airplane 

CFR 91.15 LOL

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

@z06z33 Just uploaded this video The H-4 Hercules "Spruce Goose" Story- Remastered- Part 1- Howard Hughes Chronology - MSFS 40th Year

I will re-create this very brief flight as close as possible in the Part 2 video! Will be so cool!

• Like 5

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

28 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

CFR 91.15 LOL

As long as I don't harm persons or property we're golden

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Flying some A310 from Australia to Hong Kong. It's been however long since MSFS came out when I did any decent haul.

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

Didn't come on board until MSFS 2.1 in 1984.  Bought one of the first IBM PCs, but could only afford the monochrome display/printer card that was text only.  It wasn't till later that I got a CGA graphics card (still monochrome monitor) and could run MSFS.

scott s.

50 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

CFR 91.15 LOL

And in my line of work, that would be ICD code v97.31 LOL

@ryanbatc and it you did injure someone, a medical professional treating the person (if they survive), would use the medical code above. 🙂

Edited by Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg