Sign in to follow this  
Keirtt

Another lump of coal: PMDG Update [24DEC22]

5 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

I flew airline jets for years without an EFB.  In reality.  Looking back, it's just astonishing that I lived this long.

Or, well, no it's not.  Because it matters very little to the flying of an airplane, and I kept myself fit enough that the lugging around of 50lbs of paper didn't destroy my back.  😁

An EFB in a sim is pointless.  It's just another window open on your screen that displays charts.  Navigraph (and other solutions) already do that.

You're staring at one big electronic display.  The whole thing is an EFB 😁.  What I want is fully AIRINC-424 compliant nav data; something that actually effects capability of the aircraft in the sim.

I use Avliasoft EFB. and thousands of flights, every aircraft I fly, and I wouldn't be without it. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

15 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

... Because it matters very little to the flying of an airplane, and I kept myself fit enough that the lugging around of 50lbs of paper didn't destroy my back.  😁

Ha! Gave me a chuckle. The worst part of being a captain was being responsible for lugging and maintaining the Jeppesen charts for the entire US. 

Kids these days don't know how good they have it 😉

I used to walk barefoot uphill both ways to school and back every day in the snow while fleeing from bears and wolves.

• Like 4

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

25 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

An EFB in a sim is pointless.

I see your point. For me, as an end user, a well laid out EFB that includes aircraft interactions in addition to performance calculations is important. Is it absolutely necessary, of course not, but it makes my simulated flight much more enjoyable -- clicking around on the FMS works, but it is a clunky, very 2011 implementation of something that has been done very nicely by other developers. And it seems many people appreciate it. 

Edited by Cognita
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dan Scott

It took me a long time to get used to having an EFB at work because I have always been from the "paper doesn't run on batteries" school of thought. But once we got them and started trusting them for things beyond charts, they're incredibly useful, and I felt embarrassed that I was so skeptical for so long.

36 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

An EFB in a sim is pointless.

I respectfully disagree. Flying an airliner is a 2 to 4 person job. How many times have you asked your FO, "hey can you look this up quickly?" or "what's the Log-On for San Francisco?" Having an EFB in the sim, you can quickly and easily look things up without ALT+TABbing out. And, honestly, I'm a pilot....not a dispatcher, not a fueler, not a wing walker....I like to get in the jet, sign the paperwork, brief, and go. If an EFB can reduce sim workload, all the better. I think the best example of an EFB in the sim is the FlyByWire. It's missing a few, very minor things that would reduce workload even further, but it's extremely feature rich, intuitive, and easy to use. 

Now if there was a true ACARS system, then yes, I'd agree, having an EFB wouldn't be as necessary. But, it'd be great to look at your paperwork with..again, no need to ALT+TAB.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

5 minutes ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Flying an airliner is a 2 to 4 person job.

This is why an EFB is so convenient and helpful. Not only are we the pilot and co-pilot but we also have to be loadmasters and dispatchers and concentrating these functions into an easy to use and intuitive EFB really helps a lot -- it is one of the principal reasons I prefer the FENIX to the PMDG. 

I have the impression PMDG is a pretty small core team -- those that can really write the code and test properly -- and this may be why development is slow and well behind the curve. I can understand that and I am not too hard on them; but I get a bit of a bad taste when they speak and charge like they are the ultimate developer.  Some humility on their part would go a long way I think. 

• Upvote 2

Dan Scott

I fly exclusively in VR so I find the EFB very useful for navigraph charts 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

1 hour ago, Stearmandriver said:

An EFB in a sim is pointless.  It's just another window open on your screen that displays charts.  Navigraph (and other solutions) already do that.

Funny, on the Fenix I am using the EFB for a lot of thing, but never for what you said.

Loading fuel, passengers, controlling pushback via the FMS, is that really better? 

Being able to fly RNP is really nice, but a screen with a cool UI that allow you to control everything that is sim related, is better and should get priority

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

It's just another window open on your screen that displays charts.

That is exactly NOT the case for the kind of EFB I have in mind like the FBW, Fenix or 146. their EFB do exactly NOT require to open another window running LNM or other stuff. Which is what I like. But to each their own. Merry Christmas 🎄🎁 

• Upvote 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

3 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

I use VR and therefore do not have multiple windows on several monitors to use for charts.  Having charts integrated in a EFB is exactly what i have been missing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

2 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

I use VR and therefore do not have multiple windows on several monitors to use for charts.

I take it you are not on any Meta/Oculus hardware then?

16 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

They're perfectionists

😆🤣

Good one, Nuno! I needed a good chuckle.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

16 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Edited by speedyTC

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Disregard...double post.

Edited by speedyTC

Tony K.

I'm a PMDG fan, I love the 737, but I'm also getting tired of the way PMDG does things and agree that they are quickly finding themselves behind the curve. Yes the technology they are using behind the scenes to make it all happen might be innovative... great, but they arwnt the only ones developing aircraft for MSFS, as others have mentioned there's other developers both freeware and payware that have outdone PMDG.

It astounds me how some companies have been able to implement features that the oh so innovative PMDG just can't.

20 hours ago, DavidP said:

Seriously, all this handwringing over an EFB - how did aircraft fly without them?

Imagine  how  they flew  with out  them in the past

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg