Sign in to follow this  
Keirtt

Another lump of coal: PMDG Update [24DEC22]

~~~Looks like -900 lovers and folks waiting for the EFB will have to continue to wait.

[24DEC22] PMDG 737 for MSFS - full product line updates just in time for Christmas!

Today, 03:28

Captains,

PMDG 737 for MSFS Updated to 3.00.0053:
A few hours ago we launched a series of updates that cover the entire PMDG 737-600, PMDG 737-700 and PMDG 737-800 product line for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

These updates are available via the PMDG Operations Center, and once installed will bring you up to version 3.00.0053.

Our goal with this update cycle is continue bringing increased quality and performance to the product, while also continuing the correction of small issues.

Some of the general improvements that are included in these builds:
  • Continued improvements in native aircraft stability and prevention of disturbance from flight by the simulator's overly exaggerated gust/vertical sheer model.
  • Added computationally derived stall AOA models for all wing configuration conditions to all three body types. This is an enormous workflow that has been underway for many months and involves advanced computational methods to move beyond the simulation platform's "one wing model" model in favor of a more realistic and dynamic model that accounts for changes in the shape and capabilities of the wing brought about by slat/flap position changes. The model also accounts for condition/operation of the wing and nacelle anti-ice systems, including partial operation and sub-component failure modes that affect AOA computation and display.
  • Rebuilt the cockpit/cabin collision models so as to unlock the ability to transition from cockpit to cabin using view position changing native to the simulator. Note: Cockpit door functionality will come in a future update that brings broader changes and improvements to the cabin area. For now simply walk right through it to move between the cabin and cockpit.
  • Expanded and improved soundscape in the cabin area. Note: this is a work-in-progress and that will continue to grow and change during future update cycles.
  • Re-enablement of the EFIS/MAP display configuration that was initially used by carriers such as Continental and Southwest, but later discontinued in favor of the more common PFD/ND. (We had disabled this feature due to drawing problems at the simulator's core rendering layer for glass displays. This was fixed with SU10 but we forgot to re-enable EFIS/MAP until this update.)
From our tracking system, we also have the following changes:

0011892: [General - Flight Model] Extensively revised stall speed/low speed buffet model for clean and flaps (emvaos)
0012163: [External Model - Liveries] Fuse Details (jbrown)
0012164: [External Model - Liveries] Fuse Details (jbrown)
0012140: [External Model - Geometry] Snow is falling inside the cabin (jbrown)
0012158: [External Model - Geometry] Hole in aft cargo compartment (jbrown)
0012139: [Virtual Cockpit - Geometry/Textures] VC small adkustments are needed. (vscimone)
0012157: [Virtual Cockpit - Geometry/Textures] Hole in cockpit (vscimone)
0012149: [External Model - Geometry] Jetway docking point alignment needs to be adjusted (jbrown)
0012128: [External Model - Geometry] 737-600 Right Aileron issue (jbrown)
0012068: [Virtual Cockpit - Geometry/Textures] Capt Glareshield gap (vscimone)
0012104: [External Model - Geometry] Cabin light leak (jbrown)
0012120: [External Model - Liveries] Mirrored nose cone texture glitch (jbrown)
0012093: [External Model - Geometry] Artifact on wing when in air. (jbrown)
0012090: [External Model - Geometry] Passenger windows on the 600 tinted when in the cabin (jbrown)

There are still a number of areas where continued improvement is taking place, but we wanted to bring you this update series now, before the Christmas/New Year holiday week so as to give you the very latest changes to the stability model based upon our continued and ongoing discussions with Asobo.

PMDG 737-900 Testing Progressing Well:
Testing for the PMDG 737-900 is progressing mostly well. We still have a few areas we want to get cleaned up before it is released to you. These have to do with equipment that is uniquely original to the 900ER and it is taking us a bit longer to complete than originally planned. (see discussion on complexity and degrees of freedom, below.) We feel that the 900 is *very* close, but will likely need a few more rounds with the testing team before we sign off on initial deliveries to customers.

PMDG Universal Flight Tablet (737):
Work continues on this device although we keep stealing development resources from the tablet team in order to deal with other issues scattered around a few product lines- so it is going much more slowly than we thought. Some functionality is now finished and ready for operation, but other functionality isn't- so we are considering installing it into the airplane with some of the unfinished bits only active for our beta teams who are testing this functionality on our behalf. The build-out of the tablet is made a bit more complicated by the fact that we are working forward to ensure it is day-one compatible with all iterations on the 737NG/MAX series, the 777 and 747 product lines. Functions that may be perfectly good in the 737 need to be expanded and vetted against functions that are similar but slightly different for the other fleet types- and all of it simply takes a bit of time.

The nice piece of this is that we are building a single, universal technology framework that will support the entire fleet of PMDG aircraft going forward.

PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster Update Pending:
A few weeks back we released an update to the PMDG DC-6 that dramatically improved the airplane for some users, and dramatically unimproved the airplane for others. The DC-6 team has been hard at work researching/evaluating/developing through these teething issues and a new update is pending soon. We are unfortunately a bit tied to the avionics update that Asobo has pending for the simulation platform. Some of the improvements/changes to the DC-6 require an update that is not yet available to customers flying MSFS- so we are waiting for that update to drop before we release the next round of improvements for the DC-6. WIth this update you will have a greater range of GPS options available to you in the cockpit, as well as an improved trim and flight characteristic model and updates to make the autopilot more (possibly unrealistically) stable when tracking a course or an approach.)

Other PMDG Aircraft:
We have quite a bit going on behind the scenes right now- but we aren't planning to show it to you until the 900 and the UFT are in your hands... just a bit longer and we can start talking about what is coming.

Complexity and Degrees of Freedom:
Some folks have expressed degrees of concern about the slower than planned delivery of the 900 and the UFT. We are aware of the concerns and certain can appreciate your eagerness to have the 900 product and the enhancement that is provided by the Universal Flight Tablet. We currently have four products on-market, one in final testing and another in internal testing. In addition to these six products, we have UFT as a seventh "project" and then an additional degree of freedom in that half of our team is always working on the current retail version of MSFS and the other half is working on the Asobo beta channel so that we can keep up with platform changes that are pending in order to ensure minimum disruption to our customers as core changes are implemented in the simulation platform. This means we are effectively working with 14 different projects simultaneously at times- and things can get hectic quickly because we have to keep "beta-only changes and improvements in their own lane until the platform updates, making it safe to roll those changes to you. Likewise, we have to be sure we don't break something due to pending changes that weren't thought through on our end. It can get frighteningly complex at times.

On a few occasions since late summer, we have had to halt progress on new releases in order to update already released products so that they remain in sync with the changes being made to the core MSFS platform. Over the past few months this has meant lengthy dev cycles into autoflight improvements, stability, etc- all of which take a significant amount of manpower and time.

This occasional distraction is not a bad thing, because it indicates that the platform itself is dynamic and changing. It simply means we have to pay attention and keep products updated with changes to ensure their long term viability on the platform. This will happen occasionally as MSFS continues to grow and mature- and ultimately it isn't terribly disruptive so long as we have a plan and procedures in place to keep your products flying well in concert with changes and improvements to the platform. It takes work- but we think you will agree that it is worthwhile.

Okay- enough from me tonight- i'm going to get back to work on the 900 before someone steals my crew-meal from the test airplane. confused.png

Thank you for your support and on behalf of all of us at PMDG we wish you a Happy Christmas season.
Edited by Keirtt
  • Like 4

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

GFO, EFB, it’s all staring to sound the same, TBD, 😂🤣

Thanks for the update. I didn’t really expect anything big being announced by them the remainder of the year. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I really don't understand why PMDG is struggling with stuff that other payware developers and freeware developers have developed a long time ago. PMDG could hire the folks who provide all the texture upgrades for aircraft for
free on flightsim.to.

A talented group of freeware developers could probably within a month fix most or all of the issues PMDG seem to have a hard time getting a handle on. 

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Maybe  you should  asked  them  🙂

Edited by pete_auau
  • Like 2

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

28 minutes ago, motishow said:

No tablet, no weather radar

Its Jorg and Sebastians fault. you don't know by now.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Upvote 1

no EFB yet... surprise... Bascially Randozzo got your money now so you can wait for a looong time. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

Seriously, all this handwringing over an EFB - how did aircraft fly without them?

• Like 16
  • Upvote 7

David Porrett

Nothing new here. They're perfectionists and either cope with that and wait for as long as they see fit or forget it and when it comes, it comes.

I'm enjoying my 310/320 and 738 with what it offers now, whatever comes later for the Boeing will be a bonus.

Weather radar... i can see this one taking a long LONG time since it depends on ASOBO to fix it and i don't really see any signs they care even a bit. Priorities as money comes first if you ask me.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

6 hours ago, Keirtt said:

We currently have four products on-market, one in final testing and another in internal testing. 

I guess the 777 in internal testing

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

I guess the 777 in internal testing

I hope so. I'm looking forward to seeing the 777. Good info on the forthcoming DC-6 updates, thanks RSR.

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

3 hours ago, DavidP said:

Seriously, all this handwringing over an EFB - how did aircraft fly without them?

Of course you can fly without them, but for a flightsim plane, it's a massive quality of life improvement and expected on a high-end addon, you just need to have a look at FBW or Fenix.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4