Sign in to follow this  
RobPol471

Minnesota in the Freezer!

Right now at Camp Idlewood -37°C /-35F

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/usa/minnesota/camp-idlewood-cam.html

Silver Bay Marina -30°C / -22F

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/usa/minnesota/lake-superior-silver-bay-marina.html

Duluth Ship Canal -26°C/ -15F

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/usa/minnesota/shipping-canal-duluth.html

Thought your winter was cold? Temperatures in the world's coldest city have plunged to minus 62.7°C (minus 80.9 degrees Fahrenheit) -- the coldest in more than two decades, meteorologists say.

😏

When I visited Singapore people said you'll never feel cold here, outdoors. The first morning I went out around 5 am to see if there'd be at least a slight chill, but I was still sweating. A few days later though I did feel a chill around midnight sitting outside with the wind blowing, maybe only 19 degrees C. 

I guess nowhere is always hot. Although for me that'd be pretty ideal, no real seasons, just hot all the time, never have to worry about what to wear.

So far this winter in Munich, we've had I think minus 15C a few weeks ago, and should be minus 7 next week. Actually no problem with decent winter clothing. But -37 or -62.7! I think you need the full Antarctic explorer gear. -89.2 apparently coldest recorded on Earth.

BBC reporting record wind chill temperatures in eastern Canada and large parts of the US.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64485092

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 hours ago, Antipodeslonghaul said:

maybe only 19 degrees C

Only?

😁 We Brits regard 19 as a nice summer tempreture and perfect for our homes.

Woke up to 7F without the wind chill this morning and the wind is blowing 20-30 mph so it's in the -'s with the wind and that is in New Jersey...  Even the pups put their coats on and some wax on their paws for this bitter cold...

The feels like at my station in the yard says -12.1F with the wind chill and that's not bad.. My boss is in New Hampshire.  It's about -25 by him and then there is Mt Washington:

The National Weather Service (NWS) said the icy gusts on Mount Washington in New Hampshire on Friday produced a wind chill of -108F (-77C).

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

We broke some records last night/this morning in eastern Canada.  My home airport, Halifax, recorded its lowest ever wind chill value at -43C.  Currently it’s -25C with windchill of -42C.  This past Monday it was +7C…winter hadn’t really arrived yet until now.

I tried opening the door and wow it was like a wall of frozen nastiness nearly took my breath away.  Great day to stay inside and do some flying 🙂

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

On the other hand, McMurdo Station, Antarctica, is -7C (19F), perfect skiing weather although, to be fair, it is the height of summer there just now.

Not to forget Mars, where the temperature is -41 both C and F. The forecast also says "Dust storms may continue throughout the week, causing eye and skin irritation." so don't forget to wear your spacesuit.

Edited by dmwalker
  • Like 1

Dugald Walker

8 hours ago, martin-w said:

Only?

I used to think so too, before emigrating 55 years ago to South Africa. I suppose age also has something to do with it, but now I find anything below about 22C requires a jumper. (Albeit a light one).

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

37 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

I used to think so too, before emigrating 55 years ago to South Africa. I suppose age also has something to do with it, but now I find anything below about 22C requires a jumper. (Albeit a light one).

I think its more likely you have simply adapted to hotter temps. 

You wouldn't like the favorite Guernsey pastime then... middle of February, swimming in the ocean. 🥶 They do it  all year round here, despite the cold water.  February  is 8C average, August 16C. Ladies and men in their 50's, 60's, 70's common.

Supposed to be healthy according to David Sinclair, the longevity guru. Activates the sirtuin longevity genes, same for hot temps. 

Edited by martin-w

9 hours ago, martin-w said:

Only?

Actually just saw 19.4C is apparently their all time record low in SIN. Probably must have been more like 21, but shorts, flipflops, t-shirt and just sitting there can feel a tiny bit cold.  -10C on the other hand with good winter clothing when the sun is shining and no wind can feel not so bad. 

Yesterday where my wife and I went for a hike near the Italian side of Lake Lugano, it was 20 C ! We couldn't believe how mild it was. It's supposed to be back down to 11 C today but wow, such huge contrasts in winter weather with other parts of the world.

• Like 1

Please don't go into the subjects not allowed! :ph34r:

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

7 hours ago, steve310002 said:

Yesterday where my wife and I went for a hike near the Italian side of Lake Lugano, it was 20 C ! We couldn't believe how mild it was. It's supposed to be back down to 11 C today but wow, such huge contrasts in winter weather with other parts of the world.

Yesterday was -12F here, today is 49F here and by the end of the week it is supposed to be 60F and we are yet to have any snow at all here this winter.

People wonder why it isn't snowing here but the answer is easy, I bought a very expensive electric dual stage self powered snow-blower in October... Had I not bought the snow blower we would be under feet of snow right now LOL!  

And sorry for the topic not allowed 🙂 

Edited by psolk
  • Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg