Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

20 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I don‘t believe it‘s a money grab.  

Come on, Shack, it is an obvious money grab.

Oh they are a cunning lot ! For three years, they have given out  all these SU and WU, new aircraft just to lull our vigilance an then, when nobody expects it, BOOM !,  a money grab. 

Of course the rascals will disguise it, bringing new aircraft and new missions.  But they won't fool me ! A grab ! 

• Like 8

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

@Dominique_K 🤣 good one!

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

13 hours ago, Franz007 said:

And I am just once again disappointed to see that MSFS2024 doesn’t go into the right direction of needed improvements. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry but it's comments like these that completely lack any sort of rational thinking. Plain logically, there's no way whatsoever to make even a hint of a conclusion as to what improvements, if any at all, are made in the new sim from a short trailer showing some more or less random scenes and the fact there's going to be some sort of career mode and missions. Information is close to zero watching just that trailer.

We do know however that at least graphics, weather and flight dynamics are significantly improved (quoting Phil Spencer), which actually indicates the complete opposite of your statement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

4 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

There is no indication as yet that we will have to pay again. But even if we do, so what? When you consider all that we have received for our initial investment: 14 world updates, 12 sim updates, major realism improvements in GA and airliner avionics etc. we have absolutely gotten our money’s worth and then some. If they want to charge again for MS2024 they would be well within their rights to do so.

Oh, I think it's plainly evident they intend to charge for this one.

And, like you, I'm fine with that. 🙂

IMHO, MSFS v2020 has been the single best value in flight sim - ever.

We can discuss/debate/complain/praise all the pros and cons, other sims, etc., but the simple fact of the matter is that never has $60 - $120 gotten anyone so much quality content, so easily, as in MSFS.

I had absolutely no doubt that I would be satisfied with the $60 I recently paid for upgrading from X-Plane v11 to X-Plane v12, and I am (and then some!).

I believe it will be very much the same with v2024: an entirely worthwhile paid upgrade.

Edited by UrgentSiesta
clarification
  • Upvote 2

The rocks here are interesting. Procedural or maybe just hand placed for the flying course. The grand canyon is too big, lol hard to get comparison pictures.
501-39183814-a9df-422a-9ae7-c10070b7ccc0

And the interior itself look way too good, I'm thinking it's photogrammetry

kRqFeaa.png

aSqXnZE.png

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

And the interior itself look way too good, I'm thinking it's photogrammetry

I can't count out the idea that this is photogrammetry, but my suspicion is that the scenery we saw is all hand-made as it's all to do with whatever job/mission additions they've put into the sim. 

Obviously I'm rooting against my own guess, though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dermot McClusky said:

I can't count out the idea that this is photogrammetry, but my suspicion is that the scenery we saw is all hand-made as it's all to do with whatever job/mission additions they've put into the sim. 

Obviously I'm rooting against my own guess, though!

They might have employed a similar type of photogrammetry that was used in the development of Forza Horizon 5. In any case 2024 already looks like it is going to add more detail overall when you compare shots in other places. It is using an evolved engine so there's no reason to believe we won't see a lot more eye candy.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I'd wager it's hand-placed assets just for the sake of the mission area, especially when the camera is all over it in a trailer and it all looks spotless. You don't get that with procedural, AI-based generation or photogrammetry.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

6 hours ago, Krakin said:

Your suggestion would have worked great if their goal was to destroy a ton of launch window sales potential. That would have been a very very bad idea. To your second point, I guarantee that 3PDs will be just fine. The word is getting out that virtually all current add-ons will work and a lot of the 3PDs have come out to say there's no need to worry. If they're not worried, why should we be?

That's all only true if there wasn't already a product available to buy.

It does affect third party developers, absolutely, a lot of people psychologically will hold off on purchases until they see what happens with the 2024 release. A percentage of those holding off (often a high percentage) may lose interest in an addon they were going to buy. It's called urgency, and it is why every single company in the world wants you to buy something NOW, not later.

Not speaking to the state of third party developers overall, yes they'll be fine, but it does do some weird stuff to the sales temporarily for some people. Not so much for planes, more for airports or those more casual purchases, people will be like, oh well 2024 almost here ---- just wait and see before I dump a bunch of money. Your suppositions assume that people respond to marketing with their wallets in a rational way, and I assure you, they don't. A high percentage of people aren't going to care in the back of their mind whether an addon is supposed to work in 2024 or not, that doesn't even factor into the psychology of it (barely even).

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

59 minutes ago, Sethos said:

photogrammetry.

Take a look at what Turn 10 has done with Forza Horizon 5. It goes beyond just making a plane zigzag through the air. They take the photos a lot closer to the scenery and it gives fantastic results.

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

kRqFeaa.png

This middle shot looks awesome. Yah, you can download stuff like this from FLightsim.TO such as Zion National Park which is pretty high-res like this is.

I hope they replace ALASKA with PG mountains where needed 😛

9 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

That's all only true if there wasn't already a product available to buy.

It does affect third party developers, absolutely, a lot of people psychologically will hold off on purchases until they see what happens with the 2024 release. A percentage of those holding off (often a high percentage) may lose interest in an addon they were going to buy. It's called urgency, and it is why every single company in the world wants you to buy something NOW, not later.

Not speaking to the state of third party developers overall, yes they'll be fine, but it does do some weird stuff to the sales temporarily for some people. Not so much for planes, more for airports or those more casual purchases, people will be like, oh well 2024 almost here ---- just wait and see before I dump a bunch of money.

All of what you said does not justify the losses MS would incur if they waited for the last minute to announce the sim before releasing it. Companies who release games this big hardly ever do that. The last time I can think of it happening was when EA released Apex Legends but that is a free to play game so it can work. The launch window is typically when the most money is made so anticipation has to be developed

Maybe, but most are going to assume its basically the same game with some bonus features.

The anticipation is not going to be anywhere near what it was with FS-2020 release. This isn't really a different game, that's why I don't think that point applies in this situation. They didn't have time for a rewrite, it's going to be a major update, but minor compared to like FS2004 > FSX.

Few people are anticipating this in a good way, as we've seen from the threads.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

I don't mind paying another $100 for 2024 - if they fixed the core issues and kept 95% of addons working.
Marketplace addons will probably work mostly fine, third party addons might not. Either way it will be a tremendous task to update everything.
We still are missing core features in 2020. Like functioning ATC, weather radar and seasons.
Stating that they will keep updating 2020 past launch of 2024 could literally mean stopping all support two days later. 
There is no incentive for Microsoft to support 2020 going forward, because it undermines the entire reason for 2024. They want people to spend money on a new product.

• Like 4

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s