Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

4 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

That photo is from Wikipedia,  according to it's description it is a scale representation of a C-130,  C-130J,  A400M,  and the C-17.

I've lived near a C-130 base all my life,  so I really hoped to see a decent one in FS20.

Been a fan of the C130 since a young age - I would love to have one in MSFS. 

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

Why would Microsoft/Asobo continue to update FS2020 after FS2024 has been released? I am not aware that they did this with previous versions. I guess it could be because they (apparently) have a ten year plan, but it just seems a bit pointless (and messy) to me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I can see the Q&A now;

"what tornadoes in clear skies bug?"

😄

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

6 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Why would Microsoft/Asobo continue to update FS2020 after FS2024 has been released?

Because not everyone will be moving over at once?

They didn't say they'd keep adding new content to the sim post-2024 launch. I'm expecting probably occasional patches, hotfixes, tech support.

Depending on how much they changed how Bing data is mapped to globe, maybe they could keep updating the imagery.

Edited by Tuskin38

34 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Why would Microsoft/Asobo continue to update FS2020 after FS2024 has been released?

User migration from MSFS 2020 to 2024 will not be instantaneous. It will be gradual. So it doesn't make sense to kill support while most users are still on it.

3 minutes ago, edu2703 said:

User migration from MSFS 2020 to 2024 will not be instantaneous. It will be gradual. So it doesn't make sense to kill support while most users are still on it.

Exactly. You don't get users to upgrade or move over by pulling the rug underneath them. You do it by gently nudging them, enticing them and just letting the clock run down on support on the old product. A MSFS 2020 user that doesn't want to upgrade, is still a customer that might pick up items from the marketplace, might support third party which is a value added addition to the community as a whole, is still someone who uses and potentially advertises your product.

A perfect example since that's also Microsoft; they don't cut Windows 10 support when Windows 11 is released.

• Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 hours ago, edu2703 said:

Sometimes I feel a certain hypocrisy from many who are complaining. I bet that most users have already invested a lot more the simulator price in addons. There are addons that alone cost more than the simulator itself.

You've just described why there's a lot of angst.

For a lot of people, spending $1,000 on add-ons for MSFS2020 (which rightly or wrongly was assumed to be 'a 10-year platform') is a significant amount to spend. Potentially seeing that all go up in smoke for a similar and not ground-breaking follow-up release would, rightly, be upsetting.

Apart from the one guy your referenced as being annoyed at the 'absurd' requirement to pay for a new flight sim, from what I've read, a small majority of people are relieved that their add-ons appear safe from re-purchase in a year's time, with the rest remaining unconvinced.
IMO, the Microsoft/Xbox marketing department has, yet again, misunderstood the ecosystem and assumed that the rules for hyping sandboxed AAA-gaming titles in advance works the same on flight simulators. The new money from outright purchases of MSFS2024 for $60-$120 will be coming from flight simmers, not monthly Xbox Game Pass subscribers that already have subs.

The fact that MS had to post a FAQ response to the trailer shows the marketing failed to do its primary job—get everyone excited for the new release.

• Like 9

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I wonder how this will affect the scenery gateway launch…

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

16 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

The fact that MS had to post a FAQ response to the trailer shows the marketing failed to do its primary job—get everyone excited for the new release.

That's certainly true... and also a case of timing of which big events happen when, and MS making sure what info and how much info gets out when and where. I'm sure the Asobo dev team themselves would've wanted to put out more meaty info and trailer(s) rather than the one we got. It's also safe to say if FSExpo was before this XBox games showcase event we might've gotten a better announce of MSFS 2024. Unfortunately the XBox games showcase happened first, and for that the order of the day seemed to be short teasers only without additional context, and then they're also probably being forced to not say anything about the sim until FSExpo so that lead to this weird situation of an announce teaser having negative effects. But ya, at the very least they should've had a FAQ prepared to release right after the trailer dropped.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

I am quite excited for the A400M. Almost twice as heavy as the A320 but needs only half of the runway. A turboprop almost as fast as a jet. I hope it will be good quality.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

That's certainly true... and also a case of timing of which big events happen when, and MS making sure what info and how much info gets out when and where. I'm sure the MSFS dev team themselves would've wanted to put out more meaty info and trailer(s) rather than the one we got. It's also safe to say if FSExpo was before this XBox games showcase event we might've gotten a better announce of MSFS 2024. Unfortunately the XBox games showcase happened first, and for that the order of the day seemed to be short teasers only without additional context, and then they're also probably being forced to not say anything about the sim until FSExpo so that lead to this weird situation of an announce teaser having negative effects. But ya, at the very least they should've had a FAQ prepared to release right after the trailer dropped.

Then there are 2 simple solutions to this, IMV:

1. "Hey, FSExpo organisers. We've an annual event that our parent company uses to showcase upcoming titles. You may have heard of it: Xbox Games Showcase. Here's a big bag of money, we need you to arrange it so that your expo happens on the same weekend as the Games Showcase event."

2. Organise a Q&A session / Development Update-style session just a few hours after the trailer release so that the Community Managers can collate what's being said on various social media platforms and a 'friendly face' or two, e.g. Jorg, can respond to comments and discuss some of the benefits of the new sim. Tip-off the flight sim news providers that this Q&A session will be happening and worth watching, resulting in multiple channels to get MS' message across quickly.

Oh, and perhaps let the better third party developers know in advance. They've all responded rather well considering they were completely unaware of this announcement and have to assume as to what compatibility may exist with their products.

Agree that taking as long as they did to respond allowed the negative commentary to develop.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

29 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

I wonder how this will affect the scenery gateway launch…

I don't think it will effect it one iota.  I can't see how it can really.  We will see it soon, plus it should be carried over to 2024 as well.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, F737MAX said:

For a lot of people, spending $1,000 on add-ons for MSFS2020 (which rightly or wrongly was assumed to be 'a 10-year platform') is a significant amount to spend. Potentially seeing that all go up in smoke for a similar and not ground-breaking follow-up release would, rightly, be upsetting.

In fact, this comment was after the FAQ was released. He wasn't worried about the compatibility of his addons. He essentially said that since he spent over $1000 on marketplace purchases, he was entitled to receive the new version for free.

Anyway, I agree with you on how terrible this announcement was. You know how bad it was when the announcement left more people worried than excited. For me, they shouldn't have given the announcement now with almost no details known. The FAQ clarified a few things, but many questions are still open.

The problem is that I don't think we'll know more details about MSFS 2024 in the coming days. Maybe not even in the next few months. Until then, people will continue to publicize their wild assumptions, cling to their pessimism as fact and third-party developers will see their product sales affected until MSFS 2024 is released.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

If your "landmarks" are missing in the sim, you're likely using the wrong ones (I have this argument all the time with X-Plane default scenery bashers). Think Bigger.

It’s a big antenna that every VFR-pilot uses as reference after the take off vis the West- and South-route.

We all know the other limitations of the sim, and since you seem to be familiar with X-Plane, you're SURELY familiar with all the missing/inaccurate/features over there.

Sure, XP isn’t perfect. It’s cons are mostly graphical ones (Antialiasing, blending of horizon and clouds etc.). That’s why i said that graphically MSFS was clearly better.

MSFS does certain other things better than or as well as. And there are many "in real" pro pilots who prefer MSFS because it fits their particular preferences better.

I simply answered your statement that MSFS was by far more realistic. I disagreed (except the graphics) and gave many reasons. You didn’t mention one single conter-example but find some planes being « pretty good » or « decent ». So i still cannot clearly see why MSFS could be by far more realistic, when in fact it is at best equal in some aviation-related points.

I basically used both sims as well but have been disappointed by some aspects of MSFS (as well as some aspects of XP had disappoint me). And I am just once again disappointed to see that MSFS2024 doesn’t go into the right direction of needed improvements. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Franz007

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM