Sign in to follow this  
rocketlaunch

P3D 6 officially announced

On 6/25/2023 at 4:13 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

You don’t spend five years developing a 64-bit Concorde originally for v4 then switched to v5 and then stop. I’m pretty sure the changes required to make it v6 compatible aren’t significant especially when several sources are saying LM ensured backward compatibility was vital.

Andrew had this to say back in March. Combined with his recent statements I'd be surprised to see P3D support beyond v5.4:

"We’re not in a position to discuss v6 openly at this time.

Hypothetically speaking, if a new P3D platform were to appear, I think we would need to evaluate the demand before committing any resources to it. That demand will primarily be determined by how many content creators choose to support it."

https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/topic/32499-concorde-first-look/?do=findComment&comment=257945

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

38 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

Andrew had this to say back in March. Combined with his recent statements I'd be surprised to see P3D support beyond v5.4:

"We’re not in a position to discuss v6 openly at this time.

I’ve seen that and I’ve also seen your response to one of my posts over there. I have nothing to say to you.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Don’t start a game versus simulator argument in this topic. It won’t be locked as it’s an important topic. Instead you’ll be given a holiday.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 hours ago, Juliet Alpha said:

Probably the most important News I've read so far about this new p3d version!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Never been so sim-happy... MSFS 2020 &  (FSHUD & FSLTL # BATC)

HiFi Sim is in a delicate situation, totally dependent on P3D and now the rest of the developers who, if they don't support v6, won't have users either.

(I hope you understand what I was trying to say...)

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

When I see that Ifly, Fslabs and now Hifly announce that a lot of work has to be done to update their products to 6.0, I fear the worst.

Even the recent 5.0 native Ifly 737 MAX apparently need a lot of rework including model, texture, effects, gauge displays, PBR & more..

If this is the case, I have doubts that many editors will allow the required ressources, if it doesn't really convert into new sales.

I will be really cautious about buying 6.0 on the release day. It could be at the end that a lot of users remains with the 4.5 or 5.4

This is my personal opinion, but if LM wanted to leave the entertainment market for good, they wouldn't have done it differently.

25 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Probably the most important News I've read so far about this new p3d version!

maybe finally they will figure out how to make weather changes smooth 

Artur 

2 hours ago, Juliet Alpha said:

HiFi Sim is in a delicate situation, totally dependent on P3D

They do make a version for X-Plane too. 😉

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, sdirand said:

When I see that Ifly, Fslabs and now Hifly announce that a lot of work has to be done to update their products to 6.0, I fear the worst.

Totally get your point, though I would argue that the HiFi news isn't all shocking. A new atmospheric model was something a lot of people wanted, to get rid of all the bad things about TrueSky in v5, So if you significantly change the atmospheric model, there's bound to be changes required for the third party weather engine. Nothing shocking there.

Agree with you on the rest. All this time we were under the impression that LM was doing everything they could to not break backwards compatibility, and now we hear from FSLabs and IFly that it's significant rework required for those aircraft. 

V6 seems to be too evolutionary to have made it easy for aircraft to port over, but not revolutionary enough to boost the P3D user base and bring developers back. Essentially in no-mans land. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

No matter what it's great that we have choices!  Pick P3d, MSFS, Xplane or any combination of the 3.  Whatever meets your needs, go for it.  Discussing the pros/cons of each in a factual manner is good.  Arguing about any of it is a waste of time.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

2 hours ago, DChockey08 said:

All this time we were under the impression that LM was doing everything they could to not break backwards compatibility, and now we hear from FSLabs and IFly that it's significant rework required for those aircraft. 

Have a read of this post. It might cheer you and others up.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/635324-ifly-statement-on-v6/?do=findComment&comment=4979759

Maybe just a visual anomaly rather than something being broken and unable to fly.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, DChockey08 said:

and now we hear from FSLabs and IFly that it's significant rework required for those aircraft. 

I'm not so sure that I believe the payware aircraft developers when they claim v6 will require a *significant* rework of their products.

This would be a convenient excuse to charge customers more for a v6 version, when in reality the v5 version would probably work with little to no modification.  I admit that I could be wrong here.

Unless v6 radically changes textures, models, gauge code, etc. I see no reason why v5 aircraft would not work in v6.  I use a lot of freeware aircraft for FSX and earlier versions of P3D that work fine in v5, for example.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My website for P3D stuff: https://sites.google.com/view/thep3dfiles/home

I've watched these discussions and am amused that people keep implying that it is either 5 or 6.  P3D has always allowed for more than one version to coexist.  The limitation is space, but I should think for most, that is not a major issue.  I don't know if the other sims allow different versions being coexisting.

One of the major things that Chris said was that the update process was going to be much more modern and that would allow bug fixes and changes to be slip streamed.  This seemed to indicate that P3D would check for updates. 

Dave Wadsworth
i9 13900K 5.5Ghz 64G DDR6000 nVidia 4090 
Win 11 22H2 Pro P3DV5.4 ASP/ASCA Pilot2ATC FS2Crew/TIR5/CP