Sign in to follow this  
rocketlaunch

P3D 6 officially announced

5 minutes ago, DChockey08 said:

I would be fairly confident that sceneries will be largely compatible, but it's the FSLabs and PMDG aircraft that have me worried. Need those aircraft to be able to be flown in v6 to make it worth it. 

You don’t spend five years developing a 64-bit Concorde originally for v4 then switched to v5 and then stop. I’m pretty sure the changes required to make it v6 compatible aren’t significant especially when several sources are saying LM ensured backward compatibility was vital.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You don’t spend five years developing a 64-bit Concorde originally for v4 then switched to v5 and then stop. I’m pretty sure the changes required to make it v6 compatible aren’t significant especially when several sources are saying LM ensured backward compatibility was vital.

I would tend to agree, but the comments from Andrew Wilson at FSLabs were perplexing. 

When someone posted stating that all that should be required is a simple update, he stated this was "quite incorrect" and that he was "setting expectations".

I am, however, semi-confident that FSLabs will port their addons to v6, but i am somewhat worried about PMDG. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Zangoose said:

Yeah that was mentioned and also the fact that Microsoft have Azure and Bing. 

Regarding 3rd party airports - I expect most will probably work but what you may find is that they may need updates if they have made changes to the lighting system so you may see some issues there. 

Thanks for the reply. I am also curious which developers will update there aircraft and scenery installers. Many of the installers like FSLabs, PMDG, FSDT, Flightbeam, FlyTampa, etc will need to know about V6 in order for the configurators to work correctly. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, DChockey08 said:

Well if this is the case, then my excitement just went down to zero. 

Actually, my excitement increased: this means they are aware of v6, may know the needed changes, but can't say anything because of the NDA they signed. Maybe that was why FSL delayed their update to v5.4? Just my naïve opinion.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

4 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Actually, my excitement increased: this means they are aware of v6, may know the needed changes, but can't say anything because of the NDA they signed. Maybe that was why FSL delayed their update to v5.4? Just my naïve opinion.

I admire your optimism. Could be true. I tend to look at it as: more serious changes are needed than pointing the installers at v6 (for FSLabs aircraft at least). 

Worried that some developers that require some amount of updates will not release v6 versions. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DChockey08 said:

I admire your optimism. Could be true. I tend to look at it as: more serious changes are needed than pointing the installers at v6 (for FSLabs aircraft at least). 

Worried that some developers that require some amount of updates will not release v6 versions. 

Or FSL is laying the groundwork to announce that they won't commit to V6 and they're canceling the NEO for V5. 

33 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You don’t spend five years developing a 64-bit Concorde originally for v4 then switched to v5 and then stop.

An example of 'sunk cost fallacy.' A smart business reviews whether the market conditions remain favourable to continue with a project or pivot resources to something that will gain a better ROI (think airlines who close a route after only 3-5 years and redeploy the aircraft on a well-served major trunk route instead).

Follows-on from my comment above.

I really hope for Concorde fans that FSL's 64-bit version makes an appearance for v5 and/or v6. Yet, that comment by Andrew at FSL is concerning without further explanation. Just have to wait until 3rd July.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

21 minutes ago, DChockey08 said:

I would tend to agree, but the comments from Andrew Wilson at FSLabs were perplexing. 

When someone posted stating that all that should be required is a simple update, he stated this was "quite incorrect" and that he was "setting expectations".

I am, however, semi-confident that FSLabs will port their addons to v6, but i am somewhat worried about PMDG. 

They’re still under an NDA until 2 July. They’re just covering their bottom. 😁

My source has the PMDG 737 and confirmed no issues.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Ray to the rescue to calm my anxieties! 

Cheers

• Like 2

I suspect there is atleast a decent chance that dynamic lighting on payware airports could be impacted.  But maybe not.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

24 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

An example of 'sunk cost fallacy.' A smart business reviews whether the market conditions remain favourable to continue with a project or pivot resources to something that will gain a better ROI (think airlines who close a route after only 3-5 years and redeploy the aircraft on a well-served major trunk route instead).

“sunk cost fallacy” and ROI mean nothing to me. ROI could mean Republic of Ireland. 😁 I’ve always liked Plain English. 😉

26 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

I really hope for Concorde fans that FSL's 64-bit version makes an appearance for v5 and/or v6. Yet, that comment by Andrew at FSL is concerning without further explanation. Just have to wait until 3rd July.

Given it’s now being beta tested I think we came assume it will be available for v5. I’d be amazed if they didn’t make it v6 compatible when in all likelihood they’ll do the same for their Airbus fleet.

As for any future P3D version I suspect v6 will be the last using the ESP engine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

This thread reminds me that I need to download the latest PMDG aircraft installers and keep those safely guarded.

Never know if future updates can disable their addons from working on V6. 

Just thinking out loud. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

They’re still under an NDA until 2 July. They’re just covering their bottom. 😁

I have pmdg but not using it anymore because I like ifly 737 max much better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Given it’s now being beta tested I think we came assume it will be available for v5.

I'd be amazed at this late stage for them not to complete Concorde and sell it for v5.

However, I'm not convinced any work will happen on making their products available for v6 after that FSL post. The return on investment (ROI) 😉 or, put simply, the amount of resources needed to be spent on updating doesn't (Edit: *may not* — I clearly haven't seen the numbers) justify the time and financial costs to do so.

Anyway, good to hear PMDG 737 appears to work in v6.

Edited by F737MAX
clarification
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

As someone who was a diehard FS9 fan...

(FSX was still "meh" to me overall - it got better just never hooked me like FS9 did)

...and a diehard fan of P3Dv4/5, who has now been converting more and more to MSFS every day since about March, this is pretty underwhelming for me.  "Whelmed" at best.  The showcase of almost all military, even trying to perhaps put a "light DCS" spin on things like weapons, underscores their commitment to Government contracts and associated compatibility (we knew this all along though).  Definitely not a day one purchase for me, if at all - not a hard "no" yet, but sure going to take a LOT of convincing to bother setting it up.

• Like 1

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM