Sign in to follow this  
pmb

The New Flightsim.to

No ... it's not that we don't like change. The FSTo site has been updated fairly frequently over the months (years?) that I've been using it ... and the changes were [almost] always *improvements*.

When features are removed or made more difficult to use, then that's what I call a *downgrade*. The new site was simply not tested for useability. I'm wondering whether it was tested at all before it got rolled out.

• Upvote 2

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I smell a class action lawsuit.......😉

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I smell a class action lawsuit.......😉

Recently, I removed my dedicated OneDrive download space and made all my liveries "exclusive" to F.To because of the (formerly) very good download tracking for creators. The loss of these features and fubar'd search has me reconsidering that decision.

Can't see what then fuss is about. I just created a URL to the page I want and work from there. I must admit that I prefer it to the old one.

If you can walk away it's a good landing

this new site is word not allowede

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

6 hours ago, hs118 said:

Recently, I removed my dedicated OneDrive download space and made all my liveries "exclusive" to F.To because of the (formerly) very good download tracking for creators. The loss of these features and fubar'd search has me reconsidering that decision.

Then again, some users are wary to use a third party personal OneDrive or the like. Right or wrong, I have the feeling that addons available on FS.to have been carefully screened for virus and other malevolent software.

Browsing on the new site is a pain but I linked to the pages I mostly use (sceneries)  and I will still go there to get stuff except if further 'improvements' make it even worse 😉.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I can't have an opinion really, as I only use the site occasionally. What I have found over my career though, is that there is a big difference between a website designer and someone who uses a website. :wink:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

2 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

What I have found over my career though, is that there is a big difference between a website designer and someone who uses a website. :wink:

I've been coding websites since the dawn of the Internet (yes - I'm that old!!!). In the old days, I hand-coded every line, using ColdFusion, PHP, MySQL with HTML and CSS.

These days, most sites use some off-the-shelf template-driven system - which is fine, but there are many "developers" out there that just don't seem to want to spend time configuring them properly - with all the testing that goes with it. Either that or their choice of alternative application/system was poorly researched in the first place.

Configuring a website to work correcly across so many different devices is a complex affair - but not impossible. Also - FS.to is a *commercial* (revenue generating) site, so they really ought to do due diligence. Many people here treat it as a free resource (fine) - but there'll be many *paying* (Premium) subscribers that deserve better than this mess.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

there is a big difference between a website designer and someone who uses a website. :wink:

Every time I see something like these .to changes I remember a TV ad back in the early days of the web. Can't remember the actual product (do sort of an example of what the ad itself was complaining about) but I think it was for some sort of corporate IBM web services package. Key element, and what stuck in my head, was a scene with a real geeky guy giving a demo of a web page and pointing out, rather over excitedly, "and look, we can have flames all around the burger!" And the response from (presumably) his boss was a vaguely puzzled/irritated look and just one question - "but why?"

And for me, that's the thing about a lot of these changes that get foisted on us. Just because you CAN do something with a (usually new) piece of software doesn't mean you should. Same issue with Windows, even true with Linux from what I remember of when I used to use it, and not even a problem exclusive to the software world. Print publications that do regular re-designs to "stay ahead of the game" have made me cancel many a subscription over the years. Over here, the BBC has recently undergone a no doubt hugely expensive redesign of their newsroom, with the only obvious result being that the newsreaders and weather presenters are now all seen full height (in the past, cameras were always set for upper body only, presumably as a hangover from the guy in dinner jacket reading the news behind a desk days). And the nett result is rather disturbing. Years of only having to think about how you look/dress from the waist up have resulted in some very strange trouser and/or shoe choices becoming apparent. Maybe the old joke about newsreaders in their skivvies is actually reality based.

Edited by andy1252
typo
  • Like 2

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

The notifications are buried under a couple of menu levels! That's the biggest issue for me. Was on the top of the main page previously with a count of notifications.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

On 7/11/2023 at 12:52 PM, ryanbatc said:

I like the dark mode but it should be a site option

It is, at least when I was on the site a few days ago - there's a setting on the bottom left side of the screen (quarter-moon icon).

• Upvote 1

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

Well, this update has truly opened up a world of opportunity. 

First it was potential True Love, now this. 

'Greetings

I am Antonio Silas, i will like to invest in your country. all I want is an honest and reliable person who can be my partner.'

The removal of obvious notifications means that I am anxious I might miss further riches. 

Edited by superspud
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Donka said:

The notifications are buried under a couple of menu levels! That's the biggest issue for me. Was on the top of the main page previously with a count of notifications.

After many complaints they put the "My updates" button on the main page, but you still need to scroll down and click it to check if you have any updates. I preferred the bell on top right with the number of updates as we had on the old version too. If many people ask for it I believe they will bring it back.

Edited by Alvega
  • Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

5 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Then again, some users are wary to use a third party personal OneDrive or the like. Right or wrong, I have the feeling that addons available on FS.to have been carefully screened for virus and other malevolent software.

Browsing on the new site is a pain but I linked to the pages I mostly use (sceneries)  and I will still go there to get stuff except if further 'improvements' make it even worse 😉.

Just so we are clear, F.to does NOT scan for viruses or malware. Any creator can upload a file without scanning or even AV on their home computer and just click thru the requirement.