Sign in to follow this  
Falconfly

PMDG 777 MSFS FIRST LOOK

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

The 737 is still the best flying Tubeliner in MSFS. 

On Xbox without a doubt, on pc, leonardo md80 and Fénix are way ahead of PMDG.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Did you guys also count the rivet from the YouTube compressed fast paced trimmed 2 min video, checked if they match the real 777? I say enough of this detailed criticism out of some teaser video especially about the cockpit texture which can easily be modded by the community. Let us get it in our hands first with a proper weather setting before judging.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Its no wonder this once-awesome flightsim website has become what it is

Disagree strongly with this sentiment.

Some of us remember a time when it was run like a military unit.  Bans left, right and centre, political undertones, censorship and some mods high on authority and perceived power.    I recall a user who once wrote that they wouldn't buy P3D because of it's producer's military links to weapons.  He was literally called a communist by a moderator and had his account permanently banned.  You may not agree with the viewpoint he held, but it was not a viewpoint that deserved eternal castigation and disfellowship.

AVSIM as it is - right now, under Bob's leadership - really is the best it's ever been.

As for the member base - well, it's an internet forum!  How can anybody be surprised and get upset by the fact that there is eternal arguing, a lack of perspective and a sense of entitlement from some of it's members? 😄

Edited by JYW
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

14 hours ago, DuckZilla85 said:

It does look great, but I find the cockpit has a real lack of "depth" to it and look's really flat. Seems there's no shadowing or Ambient Occlusion whatsoever, especially noticeable around the rudders. 

I'm the person that made the video and yes, their graphics settings were probably set to Low because I even had to turn on V-Sync and Ambient Occlusion. I was one of the first things I noticed in relation to the cockpit feeling bland. I didn't change any other settings, but it's something to keep in mind when watching this video. I'm sure that if everything would have been set to Ultra it would have been a different story.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

1 hour ago, FormulaJet said:

Did you guys also count the rivet from the YouTube compressed fast paced trimmed 2 min video, checked if they match the real 777? I say enough of this detailed criticism out of some teaser video especially about the cockpit texture which can easily be modded by the community. Let us get it in our hands first with a proper weather setting before judging.

The VC textures will be perfectly fine. If anyone thinks that PMDG would release the 777 with VC textures at lower resolution than those in the 737 (which are excellent), then they are smoking something that they should best avoid.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Nope, Fenix is.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Eric 

1 hour ago, JYW said:

Some of us remember a time when it was run like a military unit.  Bans left, right and centre, political undertones, censorship and some mods high on authority and perceived power.    I recall a user who once wrote that they wouldn't buy P3D because of it's producer's military links to weapons.  He was literally called a communist by a moderator and had his account permanently banned.

Excuse me what? McCarthy resurrected as a mod or what the hell?

Anyway I totally agree with you. If in doubt, always free speech.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

If anyone thinks that PMDG would release the 777 with VC textures at lower resolution than those in the 737 (which are excellent), then they are smoking something that they should best avoid.

Why would anyone criticise a product based on a low res video before they've actually sat in the cockpit themselves, on their own system, with their own graphic settings? Bizaare behaviour and none of it can be taken serious.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

Interesting… PMDG 777 preview video has comments turned “OFF” and the FBW 380 preview video has comments turned “ON”. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

2 hours ago, JYW said:

Disagree strongly with this sentiment.

Some of us remember a time when it was run like a military unit.  Bans left, right and centre, political undertones, censorship and some mods high on authority and perceived power.    I recall a user who once wrote that they wouldn't buy P3D because of it's producer's military links to weapons.  He was literally called a communist by a moderator and had his account permanently banned.  You may not agree with the viewpoint he held, but it was not a viewpoint that deserved eternal castigation and disfellowship.

AVSIM as it is - right now, under Bob's leadership - really is the best it's ever been.

As for the member base - well, it's an internet forum!  How can anybody be surprised and get upset by the fact that there is eternal arguing, a lack of perspective and a sense of entitlement from some of it's members? 😄

I guess some forgot the line......"criticize idea not the people...."

• Like 1

Alex 

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

Nope, Fenix is.

I have been flying the Fenix since the update,.  While it is nice, I actually got to the point where I felt more like a passenger watching the aircraft's computers  flying from 500 ft on takeoff to 1000 feet on landing. Now I am back in the 737, and feel much more involved in flying it. YMMV.

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

agreed

14ppkc-6.png

17 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

I guess some forgot the line......"criticize idea not the people...."

and thats because Kok when aty his time at Aerosoft oversaw some terrible products and came across to a large chunk of the "community"  as an word not allowed.  hes just trying tpo deflect his previous bad form.

14ppkc-6.png

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Looks like you caught up in some kind of marketing hype LOL

Well, when it comes to developers, I really like it when they're IRL Type Rated on the aircraft they're modeling. That's the kind of "hype" that actually matters.

---

And in re "hype", FNTP II isn't a terribly high bar to reach with any of the top flight simulators and probably any of the "Study Level" addons available across multiple sims.

"Flight and Navigation Procedures Trainers (JAR STD 3A) are intended to be generic devices (although, if desired, they can of course be type specific).

The definitions and Minimum Technical Requirements supporting the generic nature of FNPTs are summarized below:

(JAR-STD 3A.035) FNPT II: A ground based training device which represents the flight deck environment of a multi-engine aeroplane type or class to the extent that the systems appear to function as in an aeroplane ………………….

(Appendix 1 to JAR STD 3A.030, Table 2, para 7 Control forces and control travels which respond in the same manner under the same flight conditions as in the aeroplane or class of aeroplane being simulated

And Aerodynamic modeling shall reflect (a) the effects of airframe icing and (b) the rolling moment due to yawing.

The key points when determining the acceptability of Validation Data for use within the QTG are summarized below:

(IEM STD 3A.030, Para 2.1) Simulated Aeroplane Configuration Unlike Flight Simulators, FNPT I and FNPT II are intended to be representative of a class of aeroplane (although they may in fact be type specific if desired) ……control type, control force and position, performance and handling and powerplant configuration should be representative of the class of aeroplane or the aeroplane itself."

As I think about it, one could take a plain vanilla install of X-Plane, MSFS, Prepar3D, FSX or even DCS World*, use the built-in Default aircraft and any of them would "certify" as FNPT II.

*(tho I can't remember if we get airframe icing in DCS - weather isn't the priority there 😉 ...)

Edited by UrgentSiesta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Flight Level said:

Interesting… PMDG 777 preview video has comments turned “OFF” and the FBW 380 preview video has comments turned “ON”. 

Good catch. 👍

I'd give substantial weight for the reason being that PMDG is payware and FBW is free... 🙂