Sign in to follow this  
DMullert

ActiveSky FS Released

1 minute ago, mmcmah said:

Agreed, and it's on both sides of the like/dislike spectrum.

I mean, if nobody pooped in your cheerios this morning none of this warranted.

UNLESS its Captain Piett.

😁

• Like 2

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

5 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Indeed. Btw I sort of knew I would meet some resistance just by asking this simple question, in a completely non-offensive manner.

It's getting bad lately.  From certain users who you would expect to know better as well.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

24 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

If I had a dollar for every reviewer that didn't even  bother to read the manual, I could go out for a 5 star restaurant dinner tonight. 😉

If I had a dollar for every "reviewer" that didn't even try the product, I'd go with you.

• Like 5

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

8 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

I mean, I love active sky (xp11 and now 12) but will likely opt out for msfs. Default is good enough.

That's where I stand as well.

I love Active Sky as a product line. And I think it's great that it is available for MSFS.

I recall my first hifisim purchase was back in 2005. Since then plenty of iterations has passed by in my sims (AS evolution, AS2012, AS next, AS2016...I also own Active Sky for XP)

But for my style of flying in MSFS which is mostly VFR in largely remote swedish terrain, Meteoblue model is  close to the forecasted VFR-areas (vis +5km and BKN/OVC layer +1000ft AGL)  published by our local authority. 

But for other styles of simming I can see ASFS has its audience.

Options are never a bad thing.

• Like 2

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

7 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Indeed. Btw I sort of knew I would meet some resistance just by asking this simple question, in a completely non-offensive manner.

Unfortunately so. As a first time Active Sky user, I too felt the process had quite a bit of things to get through before being fully set up. I also had to restart my computer after the beta update came out and the connector utility needed to be updated after the base software was updated, because the program wouldn't start again without my restarting the PC.

Additionally, the interface can appear daunting, with the lots of information shown as well as the myriad options available. They make perfect sense, though, when you think about it, so I don't think it's unnecessarily complicated at all. Actually, it's what I was hoping for in a weather add-on, as I never had any real granular control of the Rex weather settings in MSFS.

All in all, the installation does require more than a simple button press, and then to get it working well for what you want from it, you really do need to look at all of the option settings.

I am happy with the software and looking forward to its evolution. I am also looking forward to whatever MS/Asobo will bring to the table in 2020 and 2024, but I believe that I will continue to be happy to have alternatives/choices for weather as well as other aspects of the sim.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

It's getting bad lately.  From certain users who you would expect to know better as well.

It’s an internet phenomenon. I very rarely experience anything remotely similar in real life.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

40 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

No idea what site you're reading, but what I quoted is writen here: https://hifisimtech.com/asfs/

You have no idea what site I'm reading because you didn't read the site of the link you posted yourself. Try reading it to the end. 🙄

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

With MS2024 around the corner "meteoblue" will still be the dominent weather forcaster. In 4 years WF from Rex has tried, now AS.

So, for the next 4 up to 2028, maybe even beyond, nothing will change and the developers of weather engins knows it. MS and Asobo is one ahead , common it's not so bad, by the way it's only a simulator and not a "game"

55 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

That's where I stand as well.

I love Active Sky as a product line. And I think it's great that it is available for MSFS.

I recall my first hifisim purchase was back in 2005. Since then plenty of iterations has passed by in my sims (AS evolution, AS2012, AS next, AS2016...I also own Active Sky for XP)

But for my style of flying in MSFS which is mostly VFR in largely remote swedish terrain, Meteoblue model is  close to the forecasted VFR-areas (vis +5km and BKN/OVC layer +1000ft AGL)  published by our local authority. 

But for other styles of simming I can see ASFS has its audience.

Options are never a bad thing.

You took the words right out of my mouth 🙂 

Like you I bought my first AS version in 2005 (ASV in June '05) and I have acquired every single version for the ESP platform since then. Although my primary use case is not the same as yours (FenixSim A320 for BAVirtual) I find the default wx engine entirely fit for purpose, except for the somewhat poor cloud depiction. DEP/DEST metars have been accurate, upper winds close enough to those used in Simbrief when planning to result in fuel consumption very close to planned amounts.

I have been following this thread to help me decide whether I should purchase ASFS, but so far I'm not convinced. In fact, the fairly rabid rebuttals towards any sort of criticism of ASFS has actually had the opposite effect for me, but hey, it's still early days ...

• Like 4

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

17 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

have been following this thread to help me decide whether I should purchase ASFS, but so far I'm not convinced. In fact, the fairly rabid rebuttals towards any sort of criticism of ASFS has actually had the opposite effect for me, but hey, it's still early days ...

I won't try to speak for anyone else but to me, the majority of the criticism comes from people who have not tried it, people who tried it without reading the manual or even understanding what it does, people who haven't a clue what real clouds look like or people who feel compelled to be counted by saying I like msfs weather as it is.  Those sort of comments tend to get a rise out of me and I am sure will provoke "rabid" responses from others.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I personally do not like to fly airliners but I don't feel the need to jump into every thread about PMDG or Fenix and complain about why flying airliners is a complete waste of time or that the exorbitant prices of these addons are a cash grab.

I follow all these threads as a mod and I see the same people complaining about the same things, over and over and the same people jump in and complain about the people who are complaining or complaining about the fact that people do complain.

and my opinion?  buy it - it's not perfect but once setup properly it is an exceptional product and HiFi has more features that they are working on.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

You have no idea what site I'm reading because you didn't read the site of the link you posted yourself. Try reading it to the end. 🙄

Indeed, actually I didn't even see the link. My bad, sorry. Anyway: All turbulences are working in each of the two modes AS offers.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Indeed, actually I didn't even see the link. My bad, sorry. Anyway: All turbulences are working in each of the two modes AS offers.

This is the last paragraph in the link. 

Is cloud turbulence provided?

Cloud turbulence is a work-in-progress, currently supporting higher-coverage layers and thunderstorm-related turbulence in ASFS Preset depiction mode. We are working on additional cloud detection capability to support cloud turbulence in sparser types of cloud layers as well as use within Passive/MSFS Live wx mode.

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Posted (edited)

Whoever has ever seen a satellite image knows that this is something highly artificial. Real weather is just not a sum of METAR bubbles with random smoothing in between.

spacer.png

Edited by versus

9 minutes ago, versus said:

Whoever has ever seen a satellite image knows that this is something highly artificial. Real weather is just not a sum of METAR bubbles with random smoothing in between.

spacer.png

And no one said the map was a satellite image OR a highly accurate depiction. It has always been a representation of the weather not a reproduction. In P3D the weather RADAR was accurate, this map is just provided for reference. Use the briefings or the comms to get current data.

From a RW A320 flight, FL300, EDDL to LSZH. If I knew the date, I could probably use historical weather in AS to compare. 

BhJ9Di3.jpeg
https://youtu.be/aOQpOIfuanQ?si=w1OoYY1vMaPA_48o

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”