Sign in to follow this  
DMullert

ActiveSky FS Released

1 hour ago, mikeklimek said:

Quick question (forgive me if the answer is obvious and I'm just missing it):

Let's say I have the update intervals and smoothing set the way I like it and the last update occurs just prior to entering my arrival airport's airspace, i.e., a metar prior to the arrival airport.  When I make the approach to the arrival airport, will that airport's conditions reflect the last metar the app updated to, or the actual arrival airport's metar? 

Put another way, will I be landing with winds from the last metar update or the airport's metar?

I had a hard time understanding your question, but I guess I did now and will answer:

1) "Interval" is the interval between which METARs are updated. This might also induce a weather update, if the weather in the new METAR at your current location is different.

2) Weather however does not only change with the interval, but also with the location. So e.g. if there's overcast 100 NM out from the airport, but clear skies over the airport, the weather will slowly turn from overcast to clear skies while you're closing in on the airport. This is independent from when the last METAR was downloaded.

So for your specific question: The arrival airport will always have the weather that the most recently downloaded METAR (plus some interpolation from other data) says. No exceptions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

I had a hard time understanding your question, but I guess I did now and will answer:

1) "Interval" is the interval between which METARs are updated. This might also induce a weather update, if the weather in the new METAR at your current location is different.

2) Weather however does not only change with the interval, but also with the location. So e.g. if there's overcast 100 NM out from the airport, but clear skies over the airport, the weather will slowly turn from overcast to clear skies while you're closing in on the airport. This is independent from when the last METAR was downloaded.

So for your specific question: The arrival airport will always have the weather that the most recently downloaded METAR (plus some interpolation from other data) says. No exceptions.

There is a setting in AS where you can block changes in your arrival or departure  airports if you are within a certain number of miles form t he airport or at the departure, also effects alternates. . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

24 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

I guess they are ignoring it because it's clearly written on the product page that turbulence exists "in either depiction mode". So the answer is yes.

This is what is written in the product page about Cloud Turbulence:

Is cloud turbulence provided?

Cloud turbulence is a work-in-progress, currently supporting higher-coverage layers and thunderstorm-related turbulence in ASFS Preset depiction mode. We are working on additional cloud detection capability to support cloud turbulence in sparser types of cloud layers as well as use within Passive/MSFS Live wx mode.

By reading this we get the idea it doesn't work in Passive mode, but if you say it does perhaps they need to update that.

• Like 2

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sethos said:

Honestly, I think this goes the other way too. People around here seem almost hell bent on shoving it down people's throats and anyone who dislikes it, there's something wrong with them, a psychoanalysis of why they are wrong. People are hailing this as the second coming of Christ despite every stream, every video so far has shown extremely lukewarm or even worse results than default. Think there's people who try a little too hard to convince themselves this is amazing, because of the active sky legacy.

Discussing a new weather product is 'shoving it down people's throats'?  Pretty easy to ignore the thread. Describing it as 'the second coming of christ' is WAY over the top.

I've watched a couple of reviews, including comparisons to default, yet the negativity shown hasn't been my experience at all. It appears to me reviewers go out of their way to show AS in a poor light. It must be remembered that AS has been out a couple of days, but has already had an update - of course it is going to have some bugs.

Read the manual, adjust settings to taste, and enjoy some of the amazing new clouds and turbulence effects.  The flights I have made so far have all been positive, especially a better feeling of flying through moving air.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

4 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Discussing a new weather product is 'shoving it down people's throats'?  Pretty easy to ignore the thread. Describing it as 'the second coming of christ' is WAY over the top.

I've watched a couple of reviews, including comparisons to default, yet the negativity shown hasn't been my experience at all. It appears to me reviewers go out of their way to show AS in a poor light. It must be remembered that AS has been out a couple of days, but has already had an update - of course it is going to have some bugs.

Read the manual, adjust settings to taste, and enjoy some of the amazing new clouds and turbulence effects.  The flights I have made so far have all been positive, especially a better feeling of flying through moving air.

If I had a dollar for every reviewer that didn't even  bother to read the manual, I could go out for a 5 star restaurant dinner tonight. 😉

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Does anyone else find the installation process a bit complicated?

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Just now, Cpt_Piett said:

If one click is complicated, I guess  it's complicated. 

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

sheesh

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

One click for the entire installation process?

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

17 minutes ago, Alvega said:

This is what is written in the product page about Cloud Turbulence:

By reading this we get the idea it doesn't work in Passive mode, but if you say it does perhaps they need to update that.

No idea what site you're reading, but what I quoted is writen here: https://hifisimtech.com/asfs/

1 minute ago, Sonosusto said:

sheesh

Yeah, that's the entire tone around this. It's getting exhausting.

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Umm...no. Install Active Sky, login/register an account, install AS Connect and that's it, considering everything is handled by Active Sky installer/program.

What is the complication of this?

Edited by edu2703

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Yeah, that's the entire tone around this. It's getting exhausting.

I mean, I love active sky (xp11 and now 12) but will likely opt out for msfs. Default is good enough. Unless, they can represent distant clouds etc but still....

The tone of this thread is pretty spicy

Edited by Sonosusto
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

6 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

Agreed, and it's on both sides of the like/dislike spectrum.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, edu2703 said:

Umm...no. Install Active Sky, login/register an account, install AS Connect and that's it, considering everything is handled by Active Sky installer/program.

What is the complication of this?

Bought it from Just Flight. After installing I needed to create an account. A lot of information was required for this. Think I needed to verify with a code I got in a email. Then the connector (forget what it’s called, not at the PC) needed to be installed. After this I was requested to install the latest update, so another install + “connector” install.

Just took a bit longer than most addons I’ve installed for MSFS so far, that’s all.

11 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

Indeed. Btw I sort of knew I would meet some resistance just by asking this simple question, in a completely non-offensive manner.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 5