Sign in to follow this  
Silicus

Active Sky review

Posted (edited)

Agree that this is getting a bit too much. Flight simmers discussing weather never ends well… 

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I had an overcast at FL 340 yesterday. 

…and I think I saw a high-altitude cirrus cloud yesterday but forgot to take a screenshot 😅

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

0lHlBLc.png

spacer.png

v2B4vzO.png

Last 2 taken at about FL180, first 2 taken at about FL240

Edited by Bond

This might be difficult but ‘truth’ is actually a subjective concept Bob.

Always a toughie. You’re seeing something that someone else isn’t, therefore you’re truth is more valid than their truth and they should stfu.

This seems to be what this thread boils down to….

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Someone who owns and uses this app is shouted down for asking questions and pointing out shortcoming

at least he  owns  the  app  and  knows  what  it  can  do on his  pc unlike  others  in this  thread who  havnt  got  the  app installed to  test  it  for   themselves

Edited by pete_auau
  • Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

1 hour ago, pete_auau said:

at least he  owns  the  app  and  knows  what  it  can  do on his  pc unlike  others  in this  thread who  havnt  got  the  app installed to  test  it  for   themselves

A quick perusal of this thread shows there is no one offering criticism - constructive or otherwise - who don’t own this app….🤔

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm really enjoying this app.  While we all would prefer local weather, the variations in cloud types and layers more than make up for it, for me anyway.  Not to mention the adjustable smoothing rate is really good.  FWIW, I was doing a flight from KBNA to KDCA at FL 410 yesterday with overcast clouds below me and still had a thin layer of clouds above me.  

But yeah, let's just use what works best for us and what we enjoy, and have fun!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GSalden said:

Just relax. I believe what you saw. 

The only thing I wanted to do was adding a vid with comparisons, no more no less, and then people jumped onto me 🤕

The moment AS controls Live Weather too I will be the first one to buy 2 licenses.

In P3D I used ASP3D on both pc’s. AS is the best weather program out there 

I totally agree with you that it all comes down to what each of us is happy with 👍

I’ve seen lightning on 3 flights so far, I had never seen this before with MSFS live weather. Keep up the great work Damian! I can’t wait for what you might have in store for us going forward! 😉

• Like 1

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I Gigabyte Z790 UD AX| MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker | 850W Thermaltake 80+ GOLD |

I finally bought Active sky and I truly like what I´m seeing. The clouds are so much better than default ones.. Adds a lot immersion for sure. Thank you Damian for bringing back the joy of flying!

• Like 1

Tapani Österberg

9 hours ago, Nemo said:

If we knew date and time and the position, everybody should be able to reproduce that depiction with AS historical weather.

best I can do on that

February 22, 2024 around 1230Z - about halfway through a direct flight from VNKT to VELP

that's all I have

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

22 hours ago, GSalden said:

Preset mode can never bij completely accurate as in real life weather looks different when looking around you ..

Eg : left : OC / front : 3/4 clouds / right : few clouds.

Hopefully Asobo opens op so Damian and his team can take full control of the weather.

Of course it can be accurate.  There are many occasions where the weather is the same in all directions.  

I think using the word 'accurate' depends on what each user wants.  It seems you like the local weather model of MSFS default live weather.  To have that, you have to compromise on the cloud types you will see displayed. MSFS was great with cloud depiction up to around SU5, but since then cumulus has been king. Default turbulence effects are not great either.

Granted, ASFS is forced into using a global model, but I consider it more 'accurate' because it displays many more cloud types than default.  Of course, I too want it all, a local weather model with many cloud types. Unfortunately, a choice has to be made - my 'accurate' is ASFS for the clouds, turbulence and lighting effects 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

4 hours ago, MarcG said:

At the end of the day I'm happy with the app, is it perfect no, will it be no, but it does enough for my needs and shows Asobos shortcomings that I've had to live with for 3+years and there's been plenty of threads on their live weather's issues...

Spot on!

Just about all that is poor with default live weather is improved with ASFS.  The only possible negative with the product is the global weather model.

I love having a local weather model obviously, but on balance there are so many improvements in ASFS that being a global model in not significant to me.  

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, RNAVV19R said:

The biggest positive in favor of AS is that it fixes Asobo's broken turbulence and wind, which is absurdly unrealistic with default MSFS weather.

I'm sure we'll see this giant element addressed in the 2024 release though no one here knows just how well, along with several other weather related elements including cloud layers, better morphology as Asobo accesses serious enhancements in multithreading.  That MS/A has apparently greatly hamstrung the SDK for weather access suggests to me they're far from done with developing this massive component of the sim.  And....I can't help but notice the timing on this release of AS.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Has anyone gotten WX radar return from moisture in Active Sky?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Posted (edited)

Yeah,  AS Preset.  same weather no matter where you look........😉

spacer.png

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

50 minutes ago, Noel said:

And....I can't help but notice the timing on this release of AS.

Be prepared for more er... early access releases the coming months by devs who are trying to get paid for all their hard work before MSFS2024 gets released and their products may become redundant. (Not specifically talking about AS here btw.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7